Incubators Anonymous

Well, I have had some strange chick integrations this last week. I had a classroom hatch some eggs I got from a friend. For some reason these chicks, that were handled constantly by 2 or 3 classroom's worth of kids, tried to kill each other. The teacher kept the 3 bullies, and gave the other 5 back. I gave them to the friend that gave me the eggs. The 3 the teacher kept were 2 roos and 1 hen. About 2 weeks later the teacher needed to get rid of the rest of the birds. We didn't want to put them back in with the ones that they had tried to kill, so I got them. I brought these 2 six week old roos (plus a 9 week old roo I had hatched) to the feed store. And last week I introduced the lone hen in with the 3 week old chicks I had won. The little chicks LOVE her. They follow her around, no issues. I hatched 14 chicks that are 11 days old (plus the 2 I bought). Yesterday I put 4 of those chicks in with the older chicks. Today, they are wandering around with the older chicks, with NO PROBLEMS! So, I added 5 more chicks. So far, they are doing great. The only ones I still have inside, are mostly runts. 1 silkie, 1 ayam cemani, 1 leghorn, and it's best friend we think is a Swedish Flower, and a few more. I've never had chick integrations go as well as these did. They will need a bigger pen in a few weeks, but by then I can weed out some of the roos. I have more eggs in the incubator.....Too many chicks!!!!!!!

Well, I have had some strange chick integrations this last week. I had a classroom hatch some eggs I got from a friend. For some reason these chicks, that were handled constantly by 2 or 3 classroom's worth of kids, tried to kill each other. The teacher kept the 3 bullies, and gave the other 5 back. I gave them to the friend that gave me the eggs. The 3 the teacher kept were 2 roos and 1 hen. About 2 weeks later the teacher needed to get rid of the rest of the birds. We didn't want to put them back in with the ones that they had tried to kill, so I got them. I brought these 2 six week old roos (plus a 9 week old roo I had hatched) to the feed store. And last week I introduced the lone hen in with the 3 week old chicks I had won. The little chicks LOVE her. They follow her around, no issues. I hatched 14 chicks that are 11 days old (plus the 2 I bought). Yesterday I put 4 of those chicks in with the older chicks. Today, they are wandering around with the older chicks, with NO PROBLEMS! So, I added 5 more chicks. So far, they are doing great. The only ones I still have inside, are mostly runts. 1 silkie, 1 ayam cemani, 1 leghorn, and it's best friend we think is a Swedish Flower, and a few more. I've never had chick integrations go as well as these did. They will need a bigger pen in a few weeks, but by then I can weed out some of the roos. I have more eggs in the incubator.....Too many chicks!!!!!!!

And you're bidding on more!! :lau

Speaking of cuteness, I've just had my first frizzled Serama chicks hatch lol. Their dad is my avitar. He's way too big for a serama but I'm extracting that frizzled gene and the pullets will breed to my much smaller serama roo. I've never had frizzled chicks before. ...they are the CUTEST little things! I need to get some pictures :)

Glad all those chicks are working out.

I too had some luck (not all good) with my small test hatch last week.

5 Orps from my flock (now 4 because a friend happened to have a lonely only and needed a buddy chick)
5 Doms
2 Spitzhaubens (most eggs didn't hatch & the two chicks died after a couple days)

I only want to keep 1 female Dom & was wondering how I was going to sell off the chicks. Yesterday out of the blue a past customer contacted me & asked me if I happened to have any chicks for sale.
:yesss: How convenient! He'll take whatever I have.
My broody can raise a Dom - maybe 2 - and I will sell the rest tomorrow. I can clean out the brooder & put the silkie in the coop with her 1-2 chick(s). In addition, he'll be wiling to take some of the big chick glut we always get when the schools give us back all their hatch results.

Now I can focus on my 1st "real" hatch in the good incubator. For that I have some bantam eggs that we ordered for the kids and some laced orps & lav orps from our flock. They're due the week before Easter.
:wee

Lockdown last night. 17 (from 18 shipped eggs!) black copper marans and 3 lavender orpingtons from my flock. :fl
WP_20180313_19_38_41_Pro.jpg

Back
Top Bottom