Incubators Anonymous

Putting eggs in foam incubator always seems to cause temp changes. I would think in 24 hours they would be fine.

I put chicken grit in the water channels on one of mine to try and limit the temp swings, It failed. The idea being the rocks would be a heat sink.

Make sure you keep the humidity high enough Turkey eggs seem to suck up more water than chicken eggs.

Good luck and welcome to the thread.

I have a small question I just spent about two weeks putting every thermometer I could find in a styrofoam box. I thought I had it all figured out. When I put in the eggs I knew that the mass of the eggs would take awhile to come up to temp. The box is up to temp heat goes off then comes back on at about same intervole but thermometers laying near eggs seam to lower than before. About how long does it take to get eggs up to temp?

First off, do you have a fan in it or is it still air? Temps are a different situation depending on which you use. I would also try the heat sink thing with some rocks. Id go bigger than grit though. Nickel sized rocks should work well though.

My crazy packed incubator is producing poults and chicks like crazy! There are still more hatching but this is the brooder shot from this morning :)

Has two fans 1 over rack 1 under settled in this morning when I checked it I'm just a little nervous can't wait only 27 1/2 days to go.

Ralphie you burst my bubble was planning to candle on day 7. My wife is already not happy she said I was going to wear out steps to basement checked the bator all the time. Will have to find something else to occupy my time for next two weeks.

Hey there all... my name is Lona
and I'm waiting on the delivery of my new incubator. I hope I haven't made a bad error I bought the incaview almost went with a brinsea but it was the smaller one. So I may have to spend more and get a more reliable one.... any suggestions greatly appreciated! My first eggs will arrive week of April 25th to be set on may 2nd. Cream leg bars, Easter eggers, blue laced red wyandotts, and super blue egg layers. 3 of each all from my pet chicken. I also have a flock of 8 hens. And 12 newbies to arrive on may 24th.

Last edited:
Hey there all... my name is Lona
and I'm waiting on the delivery of my new incubator. I hope I haven't made a bad error I bought the incaview almost went with a brinsea but it was the smaller one. So I may have to spend more and get a more reliable one.... any suggestions greatly appreciated! My first eggs will arrive week of April 25th to be set on may 2nd. Cream leg bars, Easter eggers, blue laced red wyandotts, and super blue egg layers. 3 of each all from my pet chicken. I also have a flock of 8 hens. And 12 newbies to arrive on may 24th.

Welcome to incubating! You're going to love it! If you decide to upgrade to something bigger, I recommend any forced air hova bator. They may be styrofoam but work wonderfully. Mine is now a dedicated hatcher since I have a cabinet bator now but before that it was my main incubator. It hasn't let me down yet. I'm testing out a Brinsea now that I borrowed from a neighbor. So far, I'm not impressed with it but it could change my mind, who knows.

Back
Top Bottom