Incubators Anonymous

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Auroradream26, Mar 2, 2016.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Putting eggs in foam incubator always seems to cause temp changes. I would think in 24 hours they would be fine.

I put chicken grit in the water channels on one of mine to try and limit the temp swings, It failed. The idea being the rocks would be a heat sink.

Make sure you keep the humidity high enough Turkey eggs seem to suck up more water than chicken eggs.

Good luck and welcome to the thread.

DePan likes this.
  2. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA

First off, do you have a fan in it or is it still air? Temps are a different situation depending on which you use. I would also try the heat sink thing with some rocks. Id go bigger than grit though. Nickel sized rocks should work well though.

3. Auroradream26

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    My crazy packed incubator is producing poults and chicks like crazy! There are still more hatching but this is the brooder shot from this morning :)

[​IMG]

4. shawn54

shawn54 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2016
    Hastings Pa
    Has two fans 1 over rack 1 under settled in this morning when I checked it I'm just a little nervous can't wait only 27 1/2 days to go.

5. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

In 13 more days you can candle and see if they started...Good luck.

6. shawn54

shawn54 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2016
    Hastings Pa
    Ralphie you burst my bubble was planning to candle on day 7. My wife is already not happy she said I was going to wear out steps to basement checked the bator all the time. Will have to find something else to occupy my time for next two weeks.

7. sasafras4u2

sasafras4u2 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Texas
    My Coop
    Hey there all... my name is Lona
    and I'm waiting on the delivery of my new incubator. I hope I haven't made a bad error I bought the incaview almost went with a brinsea but it was the smaller one. So I may have to spend more and get a more reliable one.... any suggestions greatly appreciated! My first eggs will arrive week of April 25th to be set on may 2nd. Cream leg bars, Easter eggers, blue laced red wyandotts, and super blue egg layers. 3 of each all from my pet chicken. I also have a flock of 8 hens. And 12 newbies to arrive on may 24th.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  8. Auroradream26

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA

Welcome to incubating! You're going to love it! If you decide to upgrade to something bigger, I recommend any forced air hova bator. They may be styrofoam but work wonderfully. Mine is now a dedicated hatcher since I have a cabinet bator now but before that it was my main incubator. It hasn't let me down yet. I'm testing out a Brinsea now that I borrowed from a neighbor. So far, I'm not impressed with it but it could change my mind, who knows.

9. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    Pulled 87 chicks out of the hatcher today.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Jessimom

Jessimom Cats Rule Dogs Drool

Aug 21, 2009
    Southern California
    87!!! That's a lot of chickies!! They are adorable!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by