Incubators Anonymous

Pics
Okay.. I have eggs piled up waiting to go in the incubator that have taken lower priority due to the limited capacity of my Genesis. These eggs are 4-5 weeks old. My new digital sportsman will be delivered tomorrow. So toss the old eggs or take a gamble and set them??

I have unorthadox hatch methods so I stagger hatches in my Genesis for now and rotate eggs in and candled bad eggs out. I also have been overloading my turner by stacking eggs on top of other eggs to make more fit. Still have great hatch rates but desperately need this new incubator!! I cant keep up with our hens. Lol

This will not end good for you!

We may have to make you the project of the week in the IA meeting......

Or get a new incubator, fast!!

MY spousal unit asked the question we all dread hearing and know all spouses want to ask..

"When do you think you will have enough birds" Followed by " when are you going to stop hatching?"

I am like Aurora Brooding space is the problem, I keep making more. Then, of course, there is the expense. I went through 2 bags of feed yesterday! (50# bags)....
they are going to eat me out of house and home...

I have been a hatchaholic for many years the problem I have is my husband is one too! We have 2 sportsman incubators and a hatcher that have been running near capacity since January...My husband asked me this morning if we needed to fire up our 3rd sportsman? I said NO...I am doing just fine with 2!

Good luck with your addictions...
Christie
jumpy.gif

You may have to resort to hatching for others the brooder I use is on next farm over he brings me eggs and pics them up before they need to eat lower costs then when chicks get older I wish pick a few for me. 17 of 20 hatched so far 1 died shortly after hatching have not give up on last 3 yet fingers crossed. When I finish this batch will clean bator make a few modifications and hopefully by Sunday be running again. Wheels turning on a hatcher that would make turnaround 3 days faster!!!

This will not end good for you!

We may have to make you the project of the week in the IA meeting......

Or get a new incubator, fast!!

I actually have very good hatch rates believe it or not. This method is only temporary until our new sportsman gets here today. We had to sell our old Sportsman because it was about to give out so Ive had to resort to less than ideal methods of hatching for now until the new one gets here. I will post pics when I get it set up. :D

I incubated my first batch of eggs 21 short days ago. 8 total, knowing some may not be fertile. Well.... they all were of course. Candling was soooo exciting... but I never expected watching these little buggers hatch would completely put me over the edge. I can see how it can be addicting. I did not know enough to place all my eggs in the incubator at once, so my last two are due to hatch today. I have been hatching since last weekend. haha I did have to help one chick out of her egg... I suspect my humidity wasn't high enough, considering I've had to open the incubator up with each hatch. UGH! The colors of my little beauties fascinates me. Dad is my Rooster who is a year old.. all white with a red, single comb and the two moms.. I believe are my ee I know for sure, because of her green eggs, and the second mom I think is my production Red, Jessie. My last two hatches, my babies dried looking silver, grey..... so adorable..... I am only keeping two, as I have 5 one year olds outdoors and 6 2 week olds in my spare bedroom to add to the flock early spring..... and then of course these two little buggers. My boss is taking four, he has chickens as well, and my boyfriends boss is taking two. I wish I knew better how to sex them by looking at their wings.... here are a few pics of my experiences this week. ;-) Oh, did I mention I have a live feed chick cam set up at home, so as eggs start to hatch I can leave work to cheer them on! LOL I need chickens anonymous for sure!

I have been a hatchaholic for many years the problem I have is my husband is one too! We have 2 sportsman incubators and a hatcher that have been running near capacity since January...My husband asked me this morning if we needed to fire up our 3rd sportsman? I said NO...I am doing just fine with 2!

Good luck with your addictions...
Christie
jumpy.gif

So if I understand this right you have a free sportsman you need to give away to help control your addiction and Aurora or I have to race to your house to get it before the temptation overcomes you,,,,DId I get that correct?

You may have to resort to hatching for others the brooder I use is on next farm over he brings me eggs and pics them up before they need to eat lower costs then when chicks get older I wish pick a few for me. 17 of 20 hatched so far 1 died shortly after hatching have not give up on last 3 yet fingers crossed. When I finish this batch will clean bator make a few modifications and hopefully by Sunday be running again. Wheels turning on a hatcher that would make turnaround 3 days faster!!!

I can't do that the Mn State rules do not allow a NPIP hatchery to do that...It is a good idea though.
I just got my NPIP I do not want to lose it in record time.

Back
Top Bottom