Incubators Anonymous

Heaven help me, I'm getting ready to set more eggs. I have a problem. I just can't stop.

Question for the incubation gurus. I'm using a new digital thermostat to control temps, and it doesn't allow tinkering with tenths of a degree like my old one did. I prefer 99.5 on the dot. This one only does one degree increments. I have two scientific traceable thermometers inside the incubator verifying actual temp range. So my problem is that when I set the thermostat for 100, it's giving me a range of 98-99 degrees. If I bump it up one degree to 101, it's giving me a range of 99-100 degrees. Which should I go with - the 98-99, or the 99-100? Am I just being too OCD about temps?

Thanks.

Heaven help me, I'm getting ready to set more eggs.  I have a problem.  I just can't stop.

Question for the incubation gurus.  I'm using a new digital thermostat to control temps, and it doesn't allow tinkering with tenths of a degree like my old one did.  I prefer 99.5 on the dot.  This one only does one degree increments.  I have two scientific traceable thermometers inside the incubator verifying actual temp range.  So my problem is that when I set the thermostat for 100, it's giving me a range of 98-99 degrees.  If I bump it up one degree to 101, it's giving me a range of 99-100 degrees.  Which should I go with - the 98-99, or the 99-100?  Am I just being too OCD about temps? 

Thanks.

I'm no guru but i think it depends on the incubator. I have a still air little giant and I keep my temp at about 101-102*f on top and that leaves the bottom at 98-99*f. My hatch rate has been over 90% with that (knocks on wood) I use digital thermometers. The glass one it came with was off by 3-5*f!

Heaven help me, I'm getting ready to set more eggs.  I have a problem.  I just can't stop.

Question for the incubation gurus.  I'm using a new digital thermostat to control temps, and it doesn't allow tinkering with tenths of a degree like my old one did.  I prefer 99.5 on the dot.  This one only does one degree increments.  I have two scientific traceable thermometers inside the incubator verifying actual temp range.  So my problem is that when I set the thermostat for 100, it's giving me a range of 98-99 degrees.  If I bump it up one degree to 101, it's giving me a range of 99-100 degrees.  Which should I go with - the 98-99, or the 99-100?  Am I just being too OCD about temps? 

Thanks.

I've been using the same type of digital thermostat and run mine at 99-100 and usually get 80-90% hatch rate on my own eggs. I even ordered a new one for my incubator I'm building now

I'm super excited!!! Someone I ran into wants chicks and is willing to pay $4 a chick for as many as I can hatch! She has already paid for 20!!! My husband compares this to someone giving an addict more dope lol I love incubating!!!!
I am so jealous!!!!! I would love a reason to keep hatching, get paid and they already have a home!!!
yesss.gif

My 3 little 3 week old silkies look so funny all alone in my big 4'x4' brooder! LOL But, I will not complain that I sold their 15 EE friends Saturday!! Just means more room to hatch more babies!!!!

If I can get the Wellies and Jersey Giants in the outside hut to grow faster I can move them to the big bird coop and then the Silkies outside. My brooder would be free and I could hatch more eggs.

My last batch hatched July 15. My incubator's been sitting empty in the living room for over a month. My daughter's 4H is done, our coop is full, & we have no reason to hatch more. So sad....

On vacation, we drove by someone selling fertile Lavender orpington eggs for $15 a doz. I can't tell you how much I wanted to bring some aboard. (I spent more than 2xs that when I had them shipped!) If I only had a good reason.......

Faraday 40 I'm in the same boat at the moment needing a good reason....... Incubator sitting on work top just looking at me..... And someone local has eggs.... You only live once!!!!!!!!
jumpy.gif

That's the extent of my DH's understanding of BYC.
cool.png

Exactly!!!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Plans!!!
pop.gif

Maybe, you need a small birds coop outside???
big_smile.png
Then you could get to that hatching sooner, right?
thumbsup.gif

Same here. =( Hope you make up, er, I mean find a very good reason to hatch some more soon!!!
We'll help you come up with a good reason.....Hmmm......Need more eggs? Build another coop and you'll have a coop to fill......??? I'm tryin'!
CLEARLY...there is a reason we are all on this thread
lau.gif
I love it!!!!!! Hatching and chickens are so much fun
wee.gif

My poor 8 year old daughter has aquired my incubating addiction. I caught her numbering more eggs, writing down the egg number and today's date on a peice of paper. She was getting ready to put them in the incubator! Lol I told her we started these ones over a week ago and we should hold off. She agreed but was not fully happy so we candled all of the incubated ones. Good news ALL of the eggs are growing!!!! I can't wait! I love it!!!

Back
Top Bottom