Incuview Incubator

Thanks.
Not sure I need to....just bugging me that I can't adjust the heat myself as I'm used to. Looks like 'set temp' would be the way to do that.

I too check my therms against human therms, have a write up I was going to put in an article here, just haven't done it yet.

The "set temp" setting is to change the temp you want to incubate your eggs at and it is preset at the manufacturer at 99.5 F. So unless you are incubating eggs that require a higher or lower temp, there is no need to change that setting.

The "calibrate temp" setting is to match the temp reading of your incubator temp probe reading to match the thermometers you use to see if the temps have matched. In my case, the built in probe was reading a bit higher than my thermometers that I trusted most and they both agreed. I first bent the probe wire of the incubator down just a bit so that it would be approximately the level of the top of eggs I was planning to incubate (no eggs were in the incubator yet). The probe was reading about a half of a degree higher than my thermometers in the same area. So to "calibrate the reading of the incubator probe" I adjusted the "calibrate" setting. I adjusted it only one or two tenths of a degree at time, then would wait about 30 or 45 minutes and checked the temp readings again. The probe was still reading just a bit higher than my thermometers, so I would adjust another one tenth of a degree and wait another 30 or 45 minutes. I kept doing this until all three of the temp readings matched. It took me most of a day to get it all adjusted perfectly. I was being extra cautious and letting the incubator temp and readings have plenty of time to adjust to the new settings before determining it I needed to adjust any further.

BTW, the built in hygrometer in my incubator (the newer digital hygrometer from the Incuview factory) matched perfectly to two other hygrometers I used to check accuracy.

If you want more explanation of the calibration procedure, just let me know and I will go through the steps. It's a bit counter-intuitive, for me anyway. LOL!

Last edited:
Temp is steady, testing went well, 26 eggs set.
Couldn't fit 29 due to some being long-skinnies.
Not too sure about the turner, that will be interesting to watch.

Got a few questions for Incuview users:

Does the 21 day setting take into account that day 1 really doesn't start until 24 hours after setting eggs? I suppose stopping the turning a day early isn't big deal, but just wondered.

Do you remove turner rack or leave it in?
I've read both and asking again might be moot..... but still.
Leave it in keeps eggs from rolling about, but more to clean and toes could get stuck?

So how do y'all candle eggs?
The foamies I had were easy to tip up the lid grab an egg to candle and drop lid back down...'rinse and repeat'. I like to candle all eggs on days 10 and 18.

TIA.....excitement and new bator nervousness probably prompted these Q's.

The day counter does count correctly. I’m incubating duck eggs and we’re on a 28 day incubation. The day I set the eggs the timer was set for 28 days and it did not change the countdown to 27 days until 24 hrs. later. The turner is set to stop 3 days before the projected hatch date.

I haven’t decided yet whether to remove the turning tray or leave it in. I see advantages both ways. If I remove it, there will be more room and less obstacles for newly hatched babies to move about. However, if I leave the turning tray in, there will be less soccer ball movement of eggs that don’t hatch first ... at least they will have a lane to stay in and “bumper pads” to stop them from rolling.

As for candling, I generally just leave the eggs in the incubator and place the candling light on the large end of the egg as they lay. However, on days that I weigh my eggs or mark air cells, I candle them when I have them out. Here’s an example of a quick candling I did on day 5 with our Ancona duck eggs in our incubator (I generally do this in the AM before the sun comes up and everything is much easier to see):

first time I left in turner in.. a couple of pipped eggs got rolled face down in a corner with eggs shells.. not sure if that was why they didn't hatch, but took the turner out the 2nd batch.. did keep the soccer ball pile up from happening as bad... at least it was just from one row

However, if I leave the turning tray in, there will be less soccer ball movement of eggs that don’t hatch first ... at least they will have a lane to stay in and “bumper pads” to stop them from rolling.
That's what I'm leaning towards...that pingponging drives me nuts.

Nice candling video, will try that.
I don't see well and many of my eggs are darker brown and blue green.
I usually take them 10 feet away to a windowless room,
it's pitch dark in there even in the middle of the day,
much easier to candle in there.

Back
Top Bottom