Indian fantails and American fantails what's the difference(also need info on caring for pigeons)

Yay!
wee.gif
You have to post pictures when they hatch!
tongue.png

Both eggs are fertile but sadly the mom got out of her cage and flew away, the male is still sitting on the eggs and I'm hoping to keep a heater around when he gets off the nest and I'll mist the eggs with water to help with humidity. I'm also thinking that I might have to hand feed one of the babies to make it easier on him when they hatch. But I don't know if I have the time for all of this. I wish she could've just came back!

Oh no! How far incubated are they? The male may finish incubating them himself but that depends on allot of things. If you do decide to hand raise one try to let him raise it for the first week or two because they do much better if raised by their parents until that age. Hopefully the female comes back.
sad.png
That's so sad that she flew off when you finally have them sitting on fertile eggs.

She may find her way back after week. Keep doing your feed call around as chances are she is hiding close. Also you could alert local shelters n put up fliers for others to look for her too. Check were local flocks go as she may have been integrated in with them.
For eggs just leave them n male alone or you run risk of putting him off sitting on them anymore, n he can raise both on own out cold n prob.. I've seen personally done dozen or more times just fine one doing once or
twice in row (I've had apparently a female half american fantail, retain sperm from males and lay again and raise another round, unless she is fertile Hermaphrodite).

Last edited:
Oh no! How far incubated are they? The male may finish incubating them himself but that depends on allot of things. If you do decide to hand raise one try to let him raise it for the first week or two because they do much better if raised by their parents until that age. Hopefully the female comes back. :( That's so sad that she flew off when you finally have them sitting on fertile eggs.

Alright, they are in about their... probably about 5-8 day. The male hadn't gotten up off the eggs too much since she flew away. He got off once that I know and he was off for just 30 seconds then he sat back on them.

Sadly the male quit sitting, he just would stand next to the eggs and look around. So I took the eggs and put them in the incubator. I know he stopped setting because usually when he still setting the eggs would be warm but when I felt the eggs they were cool.

You could find ringneck doves to raise them as mins I had would raise any eggs or young put under or near at any time and had raised rollers etc for me no probs. I wonder if actual cottage cheese as great for first week old chicks as heard could be, but I'd mix kaytee exact etc in/on.

Aww I wish my pigeons would come to me like that... for now I'm just planning to tame the young, which I think would be easier. My pigeons don't like me much, when I reach my hand into the cage to pet the the female growls at me and tries to get farther away from me, the male isn't as bad but when I go to pet him he backs up into the corner, but he still lets me pet him while in the corner.

Hand feeding whole unsalted peanuts as a treat is the secret to taming any pigeon it takes time and patience especially with the older birds but it works trust me.

Back
Top Bottom