Indian fantails and American fantails what's the difference(also need info on caring for pigeons)

A rule of thumb is the pigeon hens stop laying eggs as the days shorten. Now after that statement I will show you pictures of two squabs that hatched out Christmas Eve. I housed them in this Styrofoam cooler once they became too big for the parents to incubate. They survived just fine I live in Canada and am subject to -40º temperatures (no light no heat in loft.) Do not disturb the nest or move the squabs until they are at least a week old into the cooler. Even then you are putting them at risk as the parents may abandon them. Place nest bowl and all inside the cooler hope all goes well for you back yard buddy. Maybe your climate will not dictate the need of a Styrofoam cooler. The less tampering the better you will find. Take if from somebody that learned the hard way. You can expect eggs in mid February Valentines day as soon as a few rains begin to fall in a perfect world.
My pigeons are inside so warmth shouldn't be a problem since I live with them in the house. I lenghten the days with a few extra hours of artifical light, because I need it for my living room. If my proteins do hatch squabs, how should I tame the squabs if I can't handle them at a young age? Do I wait till they are old enough to leave the nest then work from there? My temperatures can get down to -19°F and we get a lot of snow. Last year it was up to my wait but here in Moravia, New York we have one year extremely cold and then the next we might not even get any snow till Christmas, which happened about 3 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
My pigeons are inside so warmth shouldn't be a problem since I live with them in the house. I lenghten the days with a few extra hours of artifical light, because I need it for my living room. If my proteins do hatch squabs, how should I tame the squabs if I can't handle them at a young age? Do I wait till they are old enough to leave the nest then work from there?
I handle my squabs the first day that they hatch and return them one at a time as soon as I am done checking them over with no problems. Homing pigeons in particular do not like to be handle and are for the most part hard to tame. That being said I have my some of my homers flying onto my hand for peanut treats after receiving them near the end of June this year.

I handle my squabs the first day that they hatch and return them one at a time as soon as I am done checking them over with no problems. Homing pigeons in particular do not like to be handle and are for the most part hard to tame. That being said I have my some of my homers flying onto my hand for peanut treats after receiving them near the end of June this year.

Aww I wish my pigeons would come to me like that... for now I'm just planning to tame the young, which I think would be easier. My pigeons don't like me much, when I reach my hand into the cage to pet the the female growls at me and tries to get farther away from me, the male isn't as bad but when I go to pet him he backs up into the corner, but he still lets me pet him while in the corner.

My pigeons are sitting on their second clutch of Eggs, their first was infertile so I'm hoping that this brood will be a lucky one. My dad said if the eggs aren't fertile this time he would be worried. But I'm just thinking that this might be their first time having eggs, they are 2 years old.

Fantails are known to have fertility issues supposed, and some fanciers toss first three sets of eggs right out for some good reason or from from young parents etc.. So don't get discouraged. Misting with warm water great way to bath removing dust and parasites
Even, especially when use mild ol fashion dawn dish soap lightly mixed in.

Back
Top Bottom