Indian Runner duck got its leg chewed off!! Not even a stump left. :*(

She will be so unique and a great story for her will
smile.png

Quote:
I am glad you found a vet to take care of the leg! Nermal has healed up quickly without the leg there and I hope the same for your duck!
I let him out with the flock today. At first they were a bit alarmed because he was very akward getting around but within a little while they were all normal again and laying together, preening each other. I can't wait until he can be in the pen with the others but it is a lot better if he is solo so he can rest without getting stepped on/pooped on and rubbing his wound area on the pen floor.

Hi all,

I know this thread is from 2011 so I'm aware that I may not get a response. Last night, it seems a raccoon got the leg of my 4 week old indian runner. It is up by her body where the leg was chewed off and there is a small stump. The bleeding had slowed significantly when we found her this morning. I was wondering how your one legged indian runner was doing and how old it was when it got attacked? She is drinking and I cleaned the wound with hydrogen peroxide. She is in her own coop under some heat (80-85). I hope she will make it!!

here is a picture of her leg

Last edited:
Hi all I just wanted to update about my one legged girl. She coops up at night by herself in an ultra safe coop. Her leg has healed up better than I could have ever imagined and she is a spunky little thing. She gets in and out of the pool/pond as she pleases as well as roams around our yard with all of the other ducks. When the accident happened I was terrified that her quality of life from then on out would be extremely poor, and I questioned wether putting her down humanely would be the best option for her. I'm so glad I let her heal on her own. This girl would pick off the scab when it was ready to come off and what do you know it was healing really well!! I just wanted to maybe give someone hope who is in my situation or experiencing something similar! My duck was extremely Adaptable and over came the fact that she has 1 leg!

Here she is with the gang!

Wow! I am so glad to hear that she is up and at 'em! Animals are so much more adaptable than we give them credit for :)

Hi all I just wanted to update about my one legged girl. She coops up at night by herself in an ultra safe coop. Her leg has healed up better than I could have ever imagined and she is a spunky little thing. She gets in and out of the pool/pond as she pleases as well as roams around our yard with all of the other ducks. When the accident happened I was terrified that her quality of life from then on out would be extremely poor, and I questioned wether putting her down humanely would be the best option for her. I'm so glad I let her heal on her own. This girl would pick off the scab when it was ready to come off and what do you know it was healing really well!! I just wanted to maybe give someone hope who is in my situation or experiencing something similar! My duck was extremely Adaptable and over came the fact that she has 1 leg!

Here she is with the gang!
Wonderful news.

Wow! I am so glad to hear that she is up and at 'em! Animals are so much more adaptable than we give them credit for :)
So true.

I am so glad you gave an update. I have a new 2 wk old blue runner that jumped from my hand last week as I was cleaning brooder box. She fell about 12-18 inches into the box on some bedding but she came down on her right side and now her hip looks like it is displaced. She moves around a good bit but tires easily and when she lays down the hip joint shows as a bump on her back. I feel so bad as I was the one holding her and moving her. We let her aquasize in tub to try to help ease any pain and strengthen her hip/leg. I hope she can do alright, may be with a little extra tlc. You give me hope.

Yarnchick, like everyone else has said, ducks are extremely adaptable! It's amazing what they can overcome & how well they can heal on their own! Make sure to update us :)

Here's another picture of my one legged Poca girl because I just love her so :)

Back
Top Bottom