Indian Runner duck got its leg chewed off!! Not even a stump left. :*(

cdnley

Songster
9 Years
Dec 7, 2010
I put my babies outside in their secure pen. Chicken wire, boards, off the ground etc. There was a 1" gap underneath and somehow something ate half of my Rouen (RIP Dolly) and ate my Indian Runners leg off. what!! I am freaking out! I killed 5 foxes just this past month and have been vigilant about keeping them penned and everything. I am beyond upset.

Now I have an Indian runner with one leg. What do I do with it? Will it die a slow painful death? It prob can't swim ever again. What do I do? Help me! I don't want to see it suffer but if I can keep it alive what kind of life will it have? How can it get around.

Thanks..I am tearing as I am typing, so sad.

Quote:
I am so sorry for your lose.
sad.png

I would suspect that the culprit that got your duck was a raccoon. I know it is a difficult position to be in but were it my bird I would euthanize it. Sorry.

I would cull unless you can get it to a vet and then are into having a house duck. I would be really worried about infection setting in especially because of where the wound is.

I am not sure what I should do. He is still "talking" to me and has drank a bit of water. He did jump around a bit..with one leg..but I can tell he is hurting. I have him in quarantine and have to sanitize his wound yet..but I wanted to give him a break as he is obviously in shock and traumatized. I did see a youtube vid of a one legged duck who hopped around but that may be a different scenario.

I do not want him to suffer so if I see him going downhill I will have no choice but to cull immediatly. I am stuck on what to do. I know what I am going to do with the fox though...

I put them all in the garage again until I can secure the 1" gap that is on one side of the cage that somehow he managed to get them through.

if you do end up keeping him. Keep him indoors so the other ducks dont bother him. You could attach some type of thing so he could walk around. Like something with a stick and wheel at the end so the one foot left can push him around and the other side would just roll around? idk what else to say other than keep it clean and when it heals up just..figure something out like that

Quote:
I know I am blown away that this could happen from a one inch gap on one side of the pen. I put all them in the garage again until the house is fixed up and I set a trap.

I washed Nermal in a betadine and water solution. I put some polysporin on it as well. There is no leg left at all, just a flap of skin. It is very disturbing. I am not even sure how he managed to get away, seriously. His feathers are all rubbed off on his back too. He did eat some weeds I put in for him and some food and drank some water today. The wound is not bleeding at all and never was when I found him.

Obviously he is tired out but he does respond to me. I have him in a tank with the heat lamp on him (to counter the shock) and he is resting.

I will keep updated on the situation. Totally stupid and totally breaks my heart.

I think if he seems otherwise sound in a few days, its time to begin designing and creating a wheely leg like has been suggested, that is if you are willing to have a house duck. If he gets sick and infected...well, you know. But one thing is for sure, you have to change his name to Abby Nermal now.

Back
Top Bottom