Indian Runner Ducklings... and one looks TUFTED?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by marathonmultiplesmom, May 31, 2011.

1. marathonmultiplesmom

marathonmultiplesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Chehalis, WA
    I got the indian runner eggs on trade. I found the seller on ebay and she has been extremely friendly, and helpful. In addition we had a great hatch!
    But one little duckling looks tufted to me. This is my first year with any ducks. I have runner ducks from someone else that are a few weeks old. I plan to flock them together with the geese... so far so good on the older ones with the adult geese. I have geese and several breeds of chickens that I raise and breed for various purposes.

I need a duck expert to look at these ducklings and tell me what you think? Just a funny down? Or some kind of tuft? Maybe some recessive gene passed down from generations ago? The seller does show photos of her adults and none that I saw look tufted.

All in all I had a wonderful experience. The ducklings are healthy and cute and I got lots of extra eggs.

Here is a link to the sellers current ebay listing showing her adult ducks:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/12-INDIAN-RUNNE...ltDomain_0&hash=item19c5f06483#ht_2834wt_1082

See pics of all ducks followed by the "tufted" one with another of similar markings.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

This is from her listing at the bottom....2nd line down

I have black, fawn & white, silver, brown, and, white.

Most of them carry the crest gene.

FERTILITY IS HIGH!

My hatch rate is high!

3. marathonmultiplesmom

Mar 23, 2010
    Chehalis, WA
    ah, I didn't realize what that meant... lol.
    Thanks, needed a 2nd set of eyes.
    [​IMG]

4. Ashleyy_x3

Ashleyy_x3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Maine
    LOL ive been looking at her duck eggs for sale on ebay and have been thinking of buying some [​IMG] nice to see that you had a good hatch! ive been kind of tossing and turning about it cause of the distance. but if you're in washington then they had a ways to travel to you aswell. but you still had a good hatch. hmmm... [​IMG]

5. marathonmultiplesmom

Mar 23, 2010
    Chehalis, WA
    Quote:I'm so happy with them. Really nice seller and I got a wide variety of colors. One is all yellow, I think it will end up white. Others are brown, black or black and yellow. They will be fun to watch. I highly recommend the seller. All of the eggs arrived in good shape and 15 of 18 started developing. I hatched 10. There are still 5 that have not pipped. I am waiting for one goose egg to finish hatching before I crack them open and make sure they are not stuck or something. I guess I could get more but I think it's going to be 10. Only 8 are shown in these photos here. There are 2 drying in the incubator. Today was supposed to be hatch day but most hatched yesterday.

6. Ashleyy_x3

Ashleyy_x3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Maine
    Quote:I'm so happy with them. Really nice seller and I got a wide variety of colors. One is all yellow, I think it will end up white. Others are brown, black or black and yellow. They will be fun to watch. I highly recommend the seller. All of the eggs arrived in good shape and 15 of 18 started developing. I hatched 10. There are still 5 that have not pipped. I am waiting for one goose egg to finish hatching before I crack them open and make sure they are not stuck or something. I guess I could get more but I think it's going to be 10. Only 8 are shown in these photos here. There are 2 drying in the incubator. Today was supposed to be hatch day but most hatched yesterday.

good info to know! thank you! [​IMG] i will def be less nervous about it now if i end up purchasing some from her! [​IMG]

7. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    soooooo cute!!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by