Indian Runner Ducks for meat?

zooweemama

Songster
7 Years
Apr 17, 2012
Far Northern California
How old are your ducks? Are you figuring out genders yet? Now that I know what a drake and duck sound like- so much easier figuring it out when I hear them from other peoples ducks too. :D

Anatopism

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 10, 2012
Olympia, WA
How old are your ducks? Are you figuring out genders yet? Now that I know what a drake and duck sound like- so much easier figuring it out when I hear them from other peoples ducks too. :D

The female chocolate (that I bought as female anyway) is the only one starting to make quack-like sounds, and it is very subtle hidden in her peeps. The blue runner and mallard are still peeping. Mallard is starting to show some brownish new feathers coming in on the back, and no color changes yet to the other two. It is really amazing how fast they grow! They are putting the chicken's growth spurts to shame. :)

Laughingswan

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 3, 2013
I have about 9 Indian runner drakes that we are going to turn into meat. We are a farm, we love our ducks but in order to survive we cannot feed an over population of drakes. This is always a crap shoot when a new clutch is hatched but it's the reality of farming. The best ratio is one drake to four hens (ducks) so it's inevitable that the drakes continue to be butchered. No one replies to our ads because unless you have a big heart and endless money to purchase feed at $16 a bag the drakes will eat you into having no ducks at all.

FreeRangers4Me

Chirping
Nov 3, 2016
You don't have to pluck them. We don't pluck quail (4 oz of meat). Skinning works great. So I wouldn't pluck a small duck or chicken. So much easier. Just a suggestion.

Top Bottom