Indian Runner Ducks for meat?

How old are your ducks? Are you figuring out genders yet? Now that I know what a drake and duck sound like- so much easier figuring it out when I hear them from other peoples ducks too. :D

How old are your ducks? Are you figuring out genders yet? Now that I know what a drake and duck sound like- so much easier figuring it out when I hear them from other peoples ducks too. :D

The female chocolate (that I bought as female anyway) is the only one starting to make quack-like sounds, and it is very subtle hidden in her peeps. The blue runner and mallard are still peeping. Mallard is starting to show some brownish new feathers coming in on the back, and no color changes yet to the other two. It is really amazing how fast they grow! They are putting the chicken's growth spurts to shame. :)

I have about 9 Indian runner drakes that we are going to turn into meat. We are a farm, we love our ducks but in order to survive we cannot feed an over population of drakes. This is always a crap shoot when a new clutch is hatched but it's the reality of farming. The best ratio is one drake to four hens (ducks) so it's inevitable that the drakes continue to be butchered. No one replies to our ads because unless you have a big heart and endless money to purchase feed at $16 a bag the drakes will eat you into having no ducks at all.

You don't have to pluck them. We don't pluck quail (4 oz of meat). Skinning works great. So I wouldn't pluck a small duck or chicken. So much easier. Just a suggestion.

Not sure how to respond to this. I guess I also appreciate your right to house your single purpose livestock as pets only. Just because a duck will be raised for meat does not mean that it wasn't provided a wonderful duck life, or that I would not appreciate it's sacrifice as my delicious duck meal.
I have Muscovies...1 in partic is my "best.pal" follows me n my.car everywhere. That said they are amazing parents and very very good at hiding a clutch n presentin u 5 wks later with a new brood! They breed like RABBITS easily 4 clutches a yr here in the U.K SO really u have to b willing to either rehome.or.slaughter some.or u will b overun in no time. The meat is AMAZING, def the best duck meat out there and a HUGE amount on them...there is very little fat though so bear in mind when cooking...most people just cut the breast out as its very hard work to get much from the legs....though if u did a few f9r freezer I'd cook legs down for the dogs...or I guess u could.cassolt. hope this helps.

Runners run from 4-5 pounds full grown on average (according to my research) and Muscovies often 10-15lbs and Pekins generally between 9-10lbs but sometimes a wee bit more. Runners are a tall standing lean duck. Not the fat breasted typically squat duck appearance that Muscovy or Pekin has. I have never considered them for meat just because they are so skinny appearing. I hope someone can chime in here who maybe has.
My 3 runners weigh 3 lbs, 3.5lbs, and 3.5 lbs. I have 3 females. they are slim duckies, but worth their weight in gold for the pest control, the eggs, and the hilarious entertainment.

Back
Top Bottom