Ducks4u

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2020
I’m looking to find Indian Runner Ducks in NC how do you go about finding a reputable breeder? What should I know about these Ducks? I’ve owned ducks for over 10 years now and am very familiar with peaking ducks & Muscovy.
Thanks in advance!

I would try posting in your state thread. You might find a local breeder that way.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/north-carolina.91762/

If you are interested in hatching, you could also look to have eggs shipped to you.

Also check out this thread, it is people who love runners. They may also be able to provide good advice.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/runner-duck-club.609642/#post-8047156

Runners are pretty similar to Pekin, but they will be a lot smaller. Runners tend to be more skiddish and they can move fast. Not sure if you are plan on keeping runners and Pekin together, but it would not be a good idea to mix Pekin Drakes with them. A Pekin drake will be over twice their size and would be more likely to hurt them.

@Miss Lydia you have any thoughts to add on runners.

I know of no one who breeds Runners here in NC, not saying there isn't someone. I started out with Runners by getting eggs from a BYC friend. That would be a way to add Runners.
My Runners have just about stopped laying for the year but I could do eggs next spring or let my Muscovy hatch some Runner ducklings. I'm in Western NC so that may not work if your on the east coast.

Last edited:
I can't help you find runners, but I can tell you they are incredible creatures! They are endlessly entertaining, can be confined with a 2-foot fence because of their tiny wings, and mine are easily moved about and/or returned to their shelter at night with the mere sound of a food container being opened.

Mine wander around loose during the day with chickens and geese, and none of my drakes has ever tried to mate with a chicken. They all will, however, nip at a hen if they think she's going to take their food.

Hope you get some runners!

Back
Top Bottom