Indian Runner Height

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Amy S, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Amy S

Amy S Chillin' With My Peeps

Does anyone know how tall Runners get? I am reading some very conflicting numbers online, anywhere from 14 inches-30 inches. I am thinking that the smaller number note regular stance, while the largest is noting the height when they stand up straight. We're trying to build our duck pen and don't want to get a big surprise when the ducks are old enough to go in. TY in advance!

2. Amy S

Goodness, and can I get an average weight check, also?!?!?

Be careful newbies (such as myself) ! Rural King just told me that average weight is (and I quote) "like a Mallard"...around 8 lbs. Everything I've been reading gives a 3-5 average weight range. I called the hatchery and they say avg 4-5 lbs. I think I'm going to go with the smaller number.

What is everyones experience? TY in advance.

3. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    My girls are both around 3.5 pounds. Standing tall, they have to duck (HA!) a tiny bit to get through the door to the duck house. Duck house door is 22" tall. So they are a bit taller than that when they stand tall.

4. whisper237

whisper237 Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2011
    From what I have read they are supposed to be in that pound range you list, and as the guy said last night their supposed to look like a pop bottle. We picked up 6 last night for a 4h project can hardly wait to see them all feathered out and grown up. I don't think their parents were 30" tall from what we saw last night.

5. Amy S

Thanks for the quick replies. We're doing some adjusting to our plans just in case we get some giants... [​IMG]

6. Goin Quackrrs

Goin Quackrrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2012
    Western Washington
    My best quality runners are probably about 20" tall. My poor quality mini-runners are about a foot tall.

L to R: Hatchery drake, abnormally small runner from private seller, blue swedish duck.
    [​IMG]

Best quality adult from Holderread lines:
    [​IMG]

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    My tallest runner girl is just under 2' tall, perhaps 22 inches. She weighs five pounds. The rest range in height down to around 19 inches. They are pretty close. My most slender runners are 3.5 to 4 pounds. I made the door to their duck house 2' high, and the house itself is 4' high, which allows for a foot and a half of bedding. I use a form of deep litter. What I find is, with nine runners, that over a foot of shavings absorbs and dries out their poop quite nicely, provided I stir it once every day or two. It takes months before it needs to be changed out. Many months, in fact.

So, with a foot and a half of bedding the runners still have more than half a foot of headroom. The bedding tapers down toward the doorway, like a ramp, so they can walk straight out into their veranda.

I remember asking on this forum a couple of years ago how tall runners are, when I was sizing their duck house and door!
    [​IMG]

8. Amy S

What beautiful Runners! I'm hoping to get a black or silver from one of my three. =D

Thanks, guys, for all the info!!!! It will be really helpful as we move ahead with house/pen plans!

9. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I paid close attention to the girls tonight when I put them to bed.
    Duck door is 22" tall.
    My girls are 22" tall. They bend down to take the small step up and then stand full height when in there and are as tall as the door.

10. Mike Winters

Mike Winters Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    maybe you could make a bantam runner by breeding the dwarf runners

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by