Indian Runner Info?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jadecinadr96, Jun 4, 2019.

1. quackiemama

quackiemama Crowing

Dec 26, 2018
    MARYLAND
    Very pretty runners! I got 3 runner girls last year and 3 pekins this year. Completely different ducks. Both are awesome.

DuckyDonna and Miss Lydia like this.
  2. Jadecinadr96

Jadecinadr96 Songster

Mar 25, 2019
    Wisconsin
    Awe, thank you! I am curious - what do you like most about each? I am still wondering if we later would get 2 pekins.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  3. quackiemama

quackiemama Crowing

Dec 26, 2018
    MARYLAND
    I love how curious and funny the runners are. They are always going and they are adorable to watch running around everywhere foraging and splashing around. Even if they don't want to hang in my lap they are always enthusiastic to see me and eat snacks out of my hand.
    My pekins are only 5 weeks old but they are WAAAY more chill and love to be held (not picked up) and loved on. Mine seemed kind of lazy so I had to make them walk and swim to get some exercise. The past couple of days though they have perked up and trying to keep up with the runners. Both are very sweet breeds just in different ways. I will have to give more opinions on pekins as they get older.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  4. Jadecinadr96

Jadecinadr96 Songster

Mar 25, 2019
    Wisconsin
    Wonderful!!! Thank you so much :) :) :) Best of luck with the Pekins! :love

5. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    I would think that if you got a pekin drake it could be a problem for your runner girls when it comes to mating time. They are A LOT bigger than the runners are. I just saw my first grown pekins recently and I'd say that they are over twice the size and weight of my runners that are 1-2 years old. I just can't imagine them mating. :eek:

The ones I just hatched will be pied blue or possibly pied lilac. Their dad is a black runner who may have some chocolate in him and the moms are fawn/white runners. They are an interesting color for sure. The yellow ones are from @Runner duck mom eggs and both will be fawn/white runners.
    IMG_0456.JPG

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  6. Jadecinadr96

Jadecinadr96 Songster

Mar 25, 2019
    Wisconsin
    AWE beautiful little babies. Thanks for sharing. :) Yes, I am not sure how/if we would... just always curious the difference between the pekins and the runners as we originally wants pekins. But love our runners

quackiemama and DuckyDonna like this.
  7. Texag87

Texag87 Crowing

Sep 22, 2018
    Aggieland
    :wee

quackiemama and Jadecinadr96 like this.
  8. quackiemama

quackiemama Crowing

Dec 26, 2018
    MARYLAND
    I will agree with @DuckyDonna the pekins are huge. My 5 week old pekins are already the size of if not slightly bigger than my runners.

DuckyDonna and Miss Lydia like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: