Indian Runners or Chickens?

That is what I first thought about them. They are something you have to see for yourself to appreciate. Now I have my original from 2 years ago and 5 of his half runner children. They do the funniest things.
I have seen them for myself. Just not something I want on my property. But I know people must like them or they wouldn't be around anymore

I had ducks years ago, and they always laid their eggs in the creek! I had to scoop them out with an apple picker on a long pole. I really knew diddly squat about ducks at that time though. They had a coop but never laid in it. I thought the eggs fried just the same, but I always fry low and slow to keep a tender white.

Sorry you're without a flock! I'd be anxious for new birds too. I was considering adding three Cayuga ducks to my flock in the spring, but haven't decided how I should handle the housing situation since they'd be sharing a run with my growing flock of 17 chickens.

What happened to your flock?

Personally I prefer chickens, but I just think the runners are ugly looking
Not sure can’t get a necropsy due to covid.
I think they’re neat looking, but then again I find Turkens to be good looking so...

I have 7 runners and I love them! One of them makes a nest every day and the rest lay their eggs in it. They do not roost. Another cool thing is that they will usually lay all their eggs in the early morning so when you go to let them out you will be able to get all their eggs. Occasionally they will lay some eggs later in the day.
I’ve read about them laying in the morning more than once. That would help with egg hunts but I don’t think the kids would hunting too much.
I will have to lock mine up, we have owls around that nest nearby. Can you coop train them so to speak? To go in at night I mean.

:gigOk!
I don’t know if I’d keep a drake or just a few girls. Is a drake necessary or not really?

Nah, only if you want an auto refresh of your flock every other year, but runners don’t go broody very often so you’d be hatching and brooding anyway. My drake does organize the girls, alert them for predators, lead them to different forage spots throughout the day etc, but he’d run TF away if there was a real threat that isn’t just me catching a duck for medical treatment. He’s fun to watch but my flock would be fine without him.

I’ve read about them laying in the morning more than once. That would help with egg hunts but I don’t think the kids would hunting too much.
I will have to lock mine up, we have owls around that nest nearby. Can you coop train them so to speak? To go in at night I mean.

Ducks (and runners especially) are incredibly easy to herd! Mine know the routine. That said, they don’t go into the coop until I come out and herd them in. So you probably wouldn’t be able to utilize an automatic door, but if you’re cool going out twice a day at sunrise and sunset you’ll have an easy time of it.

Mine free-range and I feed them at night. After about 4 days mine would go to their coop when it got dark I just had to go out there and feed them and close them up. Maybe feeding them at night helps a little with it I don't know.

Personally I would go with chickens, but I have never had ducks. There seems to be so much more variety in chickens in personality, coloring, egg color, size, etc. I would love to own ducks but I think that I would prioritize chickens.

Personally I would go with chickens, but I have never had ducks. There seems to be so much more variety in chickens in personality, coloring, egg color, size, etc. I would love to own ducks but I think that I would prioritize chickens.
I never thought I would want ducks but mine came with our farm. I was surprised by how much I prefer them

So you don’t think they’re harder to take care of?
Ok people say ducks stink because people like to keep them like chickens and when you do that they do stink. The hardest thing about owning ducks I’d say is that they just need a lot of room not to stink we have like 3 acres and my ducks free range until night then I chased them in. On the drake idea I’d probably just get one they help protect female mainly by watching the sky. Whenever my males see anything in the sky they all start quacking and they run into there house

I had ducks years ago, and they always laid their eggs in the creek! I had to scoop them out with an apple picker on a long pole. I really knew diddly squat about ducks at that time though. They had a coop but never laid in it. I thought the eggs fried just the same, but I always fry low and slow to keep a tender white.

Sorry you're without a flock! I'd be anxious for new birds too. I was considering adding three Cayuga ducks to my flock in the spring, but haven't decided how I should handle the housing situation since they'd be sharing a run with my growing flock of 17 chickens.
:gig I can picture that! Thank you, it does feel weird not having to get out there and take care of animals. I will brood whatever I get outside and so if I get ducks hopefully they’ll know the coop is home. We’ll modify a little bit but I already have a pool and everything so I think we’re ready whatever I decide.
I imagine housing chickens and ducks together could be a challenge depending on space. Are you wanting to house them together or separately?

Back
Top Bottom