Indian Runners or Chickens?

igorsMistress

Labels create division.
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Apr 9, 2013
My Coop
My Coop
Hi all. I’m currently without a flock and it’s depressing. I’m quite familiar with chickens but I’m considering Indian Runners instead of chickens. I’ve read quite a bit about them and I know ducks tend to be pretty hearty which is why I’m thinking about keeping them vs chickens.

Since you’re the experts, what are the pros and cons?

I’m thinking four to six ducks max but what about drake to hen ratio?

Will Indian Runners use a nest box or do they prefer to nest on the ground?

I’m assuming they don’t roost so some hay on the floor is ok for bedding? And no deep litter right?

Runners will just drop their eggs wherever. Only one of my ducks lays in a consistent spot. Straw over shavings is what I use and it works nicely, as I can scrape the straw off and only replace the shavings when they get stinky.

Just one drake will be all you’ll want with a flock that small.

I do use deep litter outside in the run, but they range during the day. I’m in a wet temperate climate so ducks are a good match here!

:gigOk!
I don’t know if I’d keep a drake or just a few girls. Is a drake necessary or not really?
I don’t think a drake is as necessary as a rooster. My guy looks out for predators but he can’t fight them off like my rooster. We did have a near miss with a bald eagle where my drake was either leading it away from his ladies OR running away and leaving them... we chose to give him the benefit of the doubt. He is pretty, though.

I don’t have Indian runners, I have Cayugas. I also have chickens. My ducks are better foragers and have more personality. They have also been healthier then my chickens. Mine have a lot of room to roam so I have avoided the mud problems others report. Overall I like my ducks better but prefer chicken eggs
Thanks for your perspective. Why do you like chicken eggs more than duck eggs?

Back
Top Bottom