Indian Runners or Chickens?

Runners will just drop their eggs wherever. Only one of my ducks lays in a consistent spot. Straw over shavings is what I use and it works nicely, as I can scrape the straw off and only replace the shavings when they get stinky.

Just one drake will be all you’ll want with a flock that small.

I do use deep litter outside in the run, but they range during the day. I’m in a wet temperate climate so ducks are a good match here!
Thank you! I like straw or hay over shavings in my coop so no change which would be nice. So you suggest one drake to five hens?

That is what I first thought about them. They are something you have to see for yourself to appreciate. Now I have my original from 2 years ago and 5 of his half runner children. They do the funniest things.
I have seen them for myself. Just not something I want on my property. But I know people must like them or they wouldn't be around anymore

Thank you! I like straw or hay over shavings in my coop so no change which would be nice. So you suggest one drake to five hens?

Yes! 5 or 6 would be ideal for one drake. My drake is a runner over a mixed flock and he’s a very good boy, but 3 ladies are barely enough to keep him satisfied. He was much happier when I had 7!

Indian runners all the way. Bigger eggs equals more food and I think they taste better I overall think ducks are way better than chickens. But I like chickens because there much more social with humans

I have 7 runners and I love them! One of them makes a nest every day and the rest lay their eggs in it. They do not roost. Another cool thing is that they will usually lay all their eggs in the early morning so when you go to let them out you will be able to get all their eggs. Occasionally they will lay some eggs later in the day.

What happened to your flock?

Personally I prefer chickens, but I just think the runners are ugly looking
That is what I first thought about them. They are something you have to see for yourself to appreciate. Now I have my original from 2 years ago and 5 of his half runner children. They do the funniest things.

I had ducks years ago, and they always laid their eggs in the creek! I had to scoop them out with an apple picker on a long pole. I really knew diddly squat about ducks at that time though. They had a coop but never laid in it. I thought the eggs fried just the same, but I always fry low and slow to keep a tender white.

Sorry you're without a flock! I'd be anxious for new birds too. I was considering adding three Cayuga ducks to my flock in the spring, but haven't decided how I should handle the housing situation since they'd be sharing a run with my growing flock of 17 chickens.

Back
Top Bottom