Indian Runners or Chickens?

Thank you! I like straw or hay over shavings in my coop so no change which would be nice. So you suggest one drake to five hens?

Yes! 5 or 6 would be ideal for one drake. My drake is a runner over a mixed flock and he’s a very good boy, but 3 ladies are barely enough to keep him satisfied. He was much happier when I had 7!

Indian runners all the way. Bigger eggs equals more food and I think they taste better I overall think ducks are way better than chickens. But I like chickens because there much more social with humans

Maybe try before you buy? Know anybody who has ducks? If I lived near you I’d give you some.
Well thanks! Good idea. My DIL has a friend she gets duck eggs from for baking so I’ll ask her for a few and try them.

Yes! 5 or 6 would be ideal for one drake. My drake is a runner over a mixed flock and he’s a very good boy, but 3 ladies are barely enough to keep him satisfied. He was much happier when I had 7!
:gigOk!
I don’t know if I’d keep a drake or just a few girls. Is a drake necessary or not really?

Indian runners all the way. Bigger eggs equals more food and I think they taste better I overall think ducks are way better than chickens. But I like chickens because there much more social with humans
So you don’t think they’re harder to take care of?

:gigOk!
I don’t know if I’d keep a drake or just a few girls. Is a drake necessary or not really?
I don’t think a drake is as necessary as a rooster. My guy looks out for predators but he can’t fight them off like my rooster. We did have a near miss with a bald eagle where my drake was either leading it away from his ladies OR running away and leaving them... we chose to give him the benefit of the doubt. He is pretty, though.

I have 7 runners and I love them! One of them makes a nest every day and the rest lay their eggs in it. They do not roost. Another cool thing is that they will usually lay all their eggs in the early morning so when you go to let them out you will be able to get all their eggs. Occasionally they will lay some eggs later in the day.

What happened to your flock?

Personally I prefer chickens, but I just think the runners are ugly looking
That is what I first thought about them. They are something you have to see for yourself to appreciate. Now I have my original from 2 years ago and 5 of his half runner children. They do the funniest things.

Back
Top Bottom