Indian Runners or Chickens?

:gigOk!
I don’t know if I’d keep a drake or just a few girls. Is a drake necessary or not really?

Nah, only if you want an auto refresh of your flock every other year, but runners don’t go broody very often so you’d be hatching and brooding anyway. My drake does organize the girls, alert them for predators, lead them to different forage spots throughout the day etc, but he’d run TF away if there was a real threat that isn’t just me catching a duck for medical treatment. He’s fun to watch but my flock would be fine without him.

I’ve read about them laying in the morning more than once. That would help with egg hunts but I don’t think the kids would hunting too much.
I will have to lock mine up, we have owls around that nest nearby. Can you coop train them so to speak? To go in at night I mean.

Ducks (and runners especially) are incredibly easy to herd! Mine know the routine. That said, they don’t go into the coop until I come out and herd them in. So you probably wouldn’t be able to utilize an automatic door, but if you’re cool going out twice a day at sunrise and sunset you’ll have an easy time of it.

:gig I can picture that! Thank you, it does feel weird not having to get out there and take care of animals. I will brood whatever I get outside and so if I get ducks hopefully they’ll know the coop is home. We’ll modify a little bit but I already have a pool and everything so I think we’re ready whatever I decide.
I imagine housing chickens and ducks together could be a challenge depending on space. Are you wanting to house them together or separately?

Initially I wanted them together, but after some reading, I realize ducks are pretty rambunctious at night where chickens just want to sleep. I was playing with the idea of building a small coop on the ground, maybe 4x4, that is inside of the chicken run and usher the ducks in there at night so the chickens have their coop. Predators are such an enormous problem, and the chicken run is the safest space. I only wanted 2-3 ducks max so I have reluctant to consider another run just for them. I’d have to have them in a run though. The other thing is I would free range during the day when I’m home on the weekends, and I have no idea how hard it would be to get the ducks back into the run!

I saw it looked like you lost your flock to illness? You had the funky naked necks right? I’m so sorry you lost them :(

Nah, only if you want an auto refresh of your flock every other year, but runners don’t go broody very often so you’d be hatching and brooding anyway. My drake does organize the girls, alert them for predators, lead them to different forage spots throughout the day etc, but he’d run TF away if there was a real threat that isn’t just me catching a duck for medical treatment. He’s fun to watch but my flock would be fine without him.

Ducks (and runners especially) are incredibly easy to herd! Mine know the routine. That said, they don’t go into the coop until I come out and herd them in. So you probably wouldn’t be able to utilize an automatic door, but if you’re cool going out twice a day at sunrise and sunset you’ll have an easy time of it.
Oh yeah I’m out at least twice a day, I’m the automatic door lol. Thanks for the info on the drake also. I want to keep things pretty simple until I get the hang of things so just a few ducks to start. I’m more interested in layers than hatching, at least initially.

Yeah, lol, the naked necks. I think it may have been Mycoplasma brought by pigeons but can’t be sure because can’t get a necropsy right now. I may have chickens again at some point but steering clear for now.
I have a yard they can free range in during the afternoon and on weekends. I’m planning to let them know I’m the treat lady though. Hopefully that’ll help with getting them in at night. Worst case is we’ll catch them after dark I suppose.
Well keep us up to date! I am nervous about getting ducks, but then again I was nervous about getting my first chickens too and it all worked out. Mostly.

Maybe try before you buy? Know anybody who has ducks? If I lived near you I’d give you some.
Well thanks! Good idea. My DIL has a friend she gets duck eggs from for baking so I’ll ask her for a few and try them.

Yes! 5 or 6 would be ideal for one drake. My drake is a runner over a mixed flock and he’s a very good boy, but 3 ladies are barely enough to keep him satisfied. He was much happier when I had 7!
:gigOk!
I don’t know if I’d keep a drake or just a few girls. Is a drake necessary or not really?

Indian runners all the way. Bigger eggs equals more food and I think they taste better I overall think ducks are way better than chickens. But I like chickens because there much more social with humans
So you don’t think they’re harder to take care of?

Back
Top Bottom