INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I forgot to mention that I also didn't get a pic with pbirdhaven, but was lucky to meet her briefly before she had to leave. : - )

jchny~ love your description of your new roo "making acquaintances"! I remember feeling so sad when relocating a cockerel to a farm, but when I let him out of the cat carrier and he saw all the lovely ladies in the barnyard, he thought he hit the motherload! haha I didn't feel so sad on the way home.
P.S. Thank YOU for the idea of a get-together and all of your behind-the-scenes work with Patrick and crew.

Thanks for the kind words. We (ok HE) worked really hard on it. My work mostly consisted of input and keeping the kids busy.
smile.png
The doors and windows are poplar and the rest is pine tongue and groove car siding. It'll get some paint next weekend. We put the birds in last night. Three slept on the roosts, 3 1/2 (one of my 5 weeks olds is the half) slept in the nest boxes, and the rest huddled in a corner. Going to pick up some decoy eggs or golf balls today. Not sure how I'm going to keep them
From sleeping in the nest boxes??
Temporary piece of wood blocking the nest box will work. They will figure out about the roost bars. Are they close to laying age yet? If so, maybe you could make some scary noises by the nest box at night time, then they may go up on the roost bar. I could come over in my gorilla suit for a small fee.

Thank You to our Hosts with the Most (chickens)! You were both so generous to share your amazing home and picturesque property. We also appreciated your parents' efforts in getting your estate party-ready. Too bad you made them camp out! haha (Patrick's parents who were visiting actually had a celebrity-sized motorhome). The whole family knows how to live!

"A Good Time Was Had By All!" (except for the unlucky birds that were forced to attend). Luckily we arrived after the bad part was over. It was as though "it" never happened-- except for the blood stains on Old Salt's jeans!

What all of you have been waiting for . . . photos of your virtual friends. Not great photos, just quick photos that my DH (Jim) took with his phone. They will give everyone a vague idea at least to put names with faces. I missed getting to see Too Fast and I didn't get CRSelvey/Cheryl in a photo. : - (

Front: Backyard Bitten, danand/Jenni
Back: Jchny/Janet, Mother2Hens/Julie, racinchickins/Patrick, vickichicki/Victoria, Old Salt/John

Since it's difficult to take a group shot~ this is a happier photo above of Jchny and danand
and below of Patrick. He's thinking, "Just another hour and I can return to my formerly
peaceful life of actually chillin with my peeps."

racinchickins's eco-friendly house shown in the background.
It extends from the screen porch all the way to the right side of the photo
and includes an extensive rainwater collection and harvesting system. . .
and much more! (as we say in the advertising field). haha

Patrick allows us to check out the little ones in the basement.

More areas of pens outside. Sally in Indiana (in white pants)
is partially pictured admiring a Polish Roo that an Indy
chicken enthusiast is taking home.

Modern Game ~ Cochins ~ White Faced Black Spanish --- and many more lucky residents!

Yes I had a great time there as well. Patrick really has a nice place! I've never seen an animal processed before, and it was my intent to do just that with one of our roosters, the SLW. However, he found a new home (but may be coming back, we had a tragedy Sunday. Our only other rooster Spike suddenly died. No sign of illness Sunday AM. The DW and family were greatly upset, maybe Janet (AKA the chicken whisperer) knew it was going to happen, since she took Merlin the SLW and she may give him back to us).

Chicken Fest 2013 was a great success in my opionion, and looks like everyone had a great time. I somehow forgot my camera, probably because I was making sure to get back home before the Brickyard 400 was over (I did). Patrick said he planned the chicken event before he looked at the calender. Said he made a mistake, as he usually goes to the race! LOL, sounds like something I'd do. The bathroom by the kitchen was nice, it took me about 5 seconds to figure out the flusher, then it made sense.

Thanks again Patrick for hosting, if you do this again I'll be able to stay longer and bring some food. As long as it's not on race day! And I'll bring name tags also.

Pipd, I love your names for the chickens.  However, *Margaret* is a big normal, don't you think?   And wow, it was just last week that Rangi was a fuzz ball.

:lol: Well, Margaret seems too normal when you're hearing about my Maori-named ladies and gentlemen along with her, but her name fits in perfectly with the likes of Betty, Debra Jo, Diana, Maggie, Olive, Kate, Natalie, Amy, Rose, Raven, and maybe Cricket, too. :D

And I know, she grew up so fast, didn't she? :love

Last edited:
julie0477~ The coop looks amazing! Great job and I'm sure the chickens will be thrilled with it.

Thank You to our Hosts with the Most (chickens)! You were both so generous to share your amazing home and picturesque property. We also appreciated your parents' efforts in getting your estate party-ready. Too bad you made them camp out! haha (Patrick's parents who were visiting actually had a celebrity-sized motorhome). The whole family knows how to live!

"A Good Time Was Had By All!" (except for the unlucky birds that were forced to attend). Luckily we arrived after the bad part was over. It was as though "it" never happened-- except for the blood stains on Old Salt's jeans!

What all of you have been waiting for . . . photos of your virtual friends. Not great photos, just quick photos that my DH (Jim) took with his phone. They will give everyone a vague idea at least to put names with faces. I missed getting to see Too Fast and I didn't get CRSelvey/Cheryl in a photo. : - (

Front: Backyard Bitten, danand/Jenni
Back: Jchny/Janet, Mother2Hens/Julie, racinchickins/Patrick, vickichicki/Victoria, Old Salt/John

Since it's difficult to take a group shot~ this is a happier photo above of Jchny and danand
and below of Patrick. He's thinking, "Just another hour and I can return to my formerly
peaceful life of actually chillin with my peeps."

racinchickins's eco-friendly house shown in the background.
It extends from the screen porch all the way to the right side of the photo
and includes an extensive rainwater collection and harvesting system. . .
and much more! (as we say in the advertising field). haha

Patrick allows us to check out the little ones in the basement.

More areas of pens outside. Sally in Indiana (in white pants)
is partially pictured admiring a Polish Roo that an Indy
chicken enthusiast is taking home.

Modern Game ~ Cochins ~ White Faced Black Spanish --- and many more lucky residents!

So bummed we had to miss this! We are definitely in next time even if we have to make some schedule changes. Racinchickens your house looks amazing in that photo. Very much my style. I'd love to know more about some of the things you incorporated to make it ecofriendly. We are planning on building a house on our property in about 5 years and we really want to make it as earth friendly as we can. Also, more pictures of the house please!

I love having faces to go with names and the best part is that no one looks like an ax murderer! I feel like at some point we need to have a "this is me" post to get to know each other a little better.

Also that Polish looks like a rockstar.

Bradselig~ Thanks so much for the offer to hatch some eggs for me! I know you are wanting to get your incubator turned off for the year, so unless you are planning on doing more eggs anyway I can wait to find some more chickens until next year. There are a couple more breeds I'm hoping to get my hands on anyhow. Plus with my luck I'd get all roos or something. ;)

Quick question for those that may know.... Is $60 standard for a Cream Legbar? I've been looking up places to get the online and holy cow are these kids expensive!

Quick question for those that may know.... Is $60 standard for a Cream Legbar? I've been looking up places to get the online and holy cow are these kids expensive!
Id say that is like the high end for a pullet. Hatching eggs is much cheaper (if they hatch lol), but like you said may end up with more males than needed. If you wanted a cockerel legbar, I have one I don't need as I have 3 Roos and 2 pullets. I should have some chicks/eggs available next spring if you're still interested in them and. Promise I won't charge $60 lol.

Temporary piece of wood blocking the nest box will work. They will figure out about the roost bars. Are they close to laying age yet? If so, maybe you could make some scary noises by the nest box at night time, then they may go up on the roost bar. I could come over in my gorilla suit for a small fee.
Isn't that what you were wearing Sunday?

John

Back
Top Bottom