INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like you all had a nice time yesterday!! We spent the day finishing the Silkie coop. Didn't have time to finish the run, so it's a temporary set up, but the Silkies seems to like it so far. On a different note, I found a soft empty shell under the roost in the lrge fowl coop this morning, so I think one of my younger girls may start laying soon!
    [​IMG]

2. Quinstar

Quinstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Indiana
    If you are planning on breeding them next spring then definitely let me know when you do! I will definitely buy a pullet or two from you. I'd rather pay you to do the hard work. ;) We already have a roo so I don't want to add another one. I figure at some point I'll inadvertently end up with another one and I have no desire to breed.The other 2 breeds I want next spring or this fall if I find any are a Blue Cochin and the BLRW. I may try the swap in a few weekends... but I never seem to have the best luck there.

3. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Check with Babymakes6 and crazypetlady. One has the Cream Legbars and the other does the hatching. Their prices are reasonable. Babymakes6 is just south of Fort Wayne. Send her a PM and she'll send you the price list and all the info you need.

ETA: I must have been typing the same time as brad...didn't see his post until I posted this :D

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  4. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    I might be interested in your cockerel. I might even have one you may want to trade for. I currently have 2 Roos and 5 pullets, but one of the roos is a sibling to all the pullets. I'd be willing to trade him to get an unrelated roo. If you aren't looking to trade, I may still be interested, but will have to evaluate what to do with the extra boy I'll end up with.

5. animallover2202

animallover2202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    Buck Creek IN
    Well the new chickens are cute there 2 silkies 1roo and 1 hen, 1 Japanese Roo, 1 Leghorn hen,and 1 Polish hen :) there so cute when I can upload pics ill share the cute lol :) .... some needs tlc but that's fine cuz they were rescues before I got them :)

6. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    No problem, both those ladies are great! And as you said, very reasonable for rare breeds. Both of them are east central Indiana (well babymakes6 is just over the state line).

7. bradselig

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    I should definitely have legbars available unless something extreme happens. As far as blrw, I've yet to see hem at the swap, but who knows! I'd be more than happy to hatch some for you, but unless we waiting and grew them up, I wouldn't be able to sex. Hopefully in the next month or two ill have my breeding pens set up, ready for spring hatching.

8. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    A BIG HUGE thank you to everyone who came to poultry fest and livened up our farm for a day. It was great to meet everyone and talk chickens all day long.

A big thank you to Janet/Jchny2000 and John/Old Salt for helping out to guide the chicken processing learning group. I think we all learned a lot from each other, and hopefully everyone who participated in that learned something to take home. I know I picked up a lot of tips.

I also enjoyed the social/food/coop/house tour part. We really enjoyed showing off our chickens, or was it watching our chickens showing off???? The compliments from everyone on the flock and house are much appreciated. It's been a lot of hard work getting this far, and we hope to continue to improve from here. I got so many ideas and suggestions from talking to everyone about the chickens that I don't even know where to start first on improving my setup. Thanks to all for that too.

For everyone who brought food, thank you! (Vicki - the sausage rolls were delicious. I could've hidden them to eat all myself) And I do have one of Janet's peach pies tucked away for further evaluation.......

And it is so cool now to have some faces to go with names/usernames. Everyone was so friendly that it was easy to see why this is one of the most congenial and cooperative threads on BYC!

It was also neat to see people meeting the new chickens in their lives...or in the case of Jchny...peachicks! I am personally very excited about the addition of two pullets to my flock....a Silver Laced Wyandotte and a Black Jersey Giant. Big thanks to Old Salt for bringing me those. I also had a chance to hold a crate full of Appenzeller Spitzhausen chicks, and all I can say is 'I want some!'.

And I'm glad to hear that Sally was successful in her resurrection of Buster! That roo has a charmed life. He was on the slate for the 'One Bad Day' yesterday, and now he has a new home and harem, with no expiration date. My White Crested Black Polish roo also got snapped up by John from the CIPE group. He also got a permanent reprieve.

And I'm not sure, but I believe M2H and her husband get the prize for farthest travelled! All the way up from Evansville, with a side trip to pick up a delivery for Jchny.

I could go on all day, but thanks again to everyone for coming.

When they plan the Northern Indiana fest, I'll be setting aside time to attend that too....

1 person likes this.
  9. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana

10. bradselig

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    That's definitely a possibility. I'm not sure when I'd be in the Indy area though. Only time I can think would be at the Lebanon show in Oct if I can get off work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by