INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. danand

danand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Westport In
    Pip- show us pics as you progress.

Went to lock everyone up tonight and could find my 1 LF chick. She has 2 mommies!! So of course they are both not laying. So I could hear her chirping but could find her. Look for the little butt in the pic!!![​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Very nice. 5 windows? You building a sunroom?

3. danand

danand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Westport In
    Thunder- that's was my first thought too!!

4. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    pipd~ Looks like a fortress for your fortunate flock.
    CCCHICKENS~ My husband's aunt and uncle had a few Great Danes that they loved dearly, but the Great Dane's lifespan is short so they finally decided they couldn't go through having another one. That's one problem with extra large dogs . . . the vet bills are another. My chicken's vet bills are bad enough!
    jchny~ Your farm description sounds like an idyllic children's story. Instead of photos, you need to record video of the baby goat, mom and "dad" goat, the geese and babies, turkey babies, pea chicks, guinea chicks, etc. etc. etc.
    I really need to name the Palms! They have joined the main flock, and both have stopped the fence pacing. I think they just felt "left out".
    You could name your Palms after beaches by Palm Beach: Pompano, Delray, Boca, Boynton, etc. Just a thought.
    I saw this on one of the BYC Forums:
    Text Message lingo
    DH = Dear Husband
    DW = Dear Wife
    DS = Dear Son
    DD = Dear Daughter
    BF = Boy Friend
    BFF = Best Friend Forever
    IMHO = In My Honest Opinion
    OTOH = On The Other Hand
    LOL = Laugh out Loud
    ROFL = Rolling on the floor laughing
    IDK = I don't know
    IMO = In my opinion
    OMG = Oh my Gosh

5. DarthLayer

DarthLayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    Indiana
    Well I'm a little disappointed of how many chicks have hatched. So far only four ( 12 were shipped but one spoiled during shipment and i put two eggs in from my flock and one stopped developing ) but I'm keeping my hopes up more would hatch tomorrow (Day 25). Will post pics tomorrow :)

6. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop

That was the original plan, but after much consideration, the windows are going to be more for ventilation than for sunlight. The glass comes out of them and I will have welded wire over them so they can be left open overnight. That's actually one more window than planned, since they were on clearance for $7 each, so I might put the extra window in the current coop for additional light in there as well. I haven't decided just yet. :D

I will be sure to update our progress here! :)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  7. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I grew up with great danes. When I get older I wouldnt mind having one or two. As to vet bills, besides like basics such s shots etc we only had to go to the vet 1. And we had 3 and only one went. She got hit by a car. My parents went to the vets house and my mom had to help with surgery on her leg. My mom is pretty squimish (not sure how to spell that) too. Although one had pups and i kept one. Had to put him down a t 6 months old. There was something wrong with his stomach. And are male lived like 10 years. My dad always tells me about after the one dog had surgery I would lay in the cage with her one her bad leg! She never did do anything either, no yipes, growling btiting. She just sat there and took it. Such good dogs!

8. BackyardBitten

BackyardBitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    Racin, if anybody else decides they would want to go in on the feed idea, let me know! i might like to get in on that. Was reading about GMOs in a magazine article this past weekend until my 3 yr old daughter stealthily hid the magazine away from me.

9. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Here is a pic of one of my frizzle cochin bantam X ameraucana bantam.
    [​IMG]

Here is my horse stall converted into a breeding pen. Right now It just has some random chickens in it. I still have to get sand, a hanging feeder and a bucket lid to catch dripping water.

Here is the door
    [​IMG]

there was a gap between where the top of the stall was and the celing
    [​IMG]

Hanging waterer
    [​IMG]

The empty space along the wall is where I am going to put a ramp (i will have to cut a hold in the fence and wall also and make a ramp coming down the other side)
    [​IMG]

Nesting boxes
    [​IMG]

It looks a lot better in person, espcially with the sand. Bad pics but you get the idea.

And I do not remember if I post this here or not, A pic of my araucana pullet!
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I was pondering that too. I got my sack of Purina Layena today but having our own little feed coop might be a good idea. I drive through Martinsville on my way to my little hill by Bedford at least once a month when its warm. I would be interested in more details. Racin, do you have a mill in mind?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by