INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    Can't assist with the avatar issue, but I had a post *edited by staff* and wasn't told why. That annoys me. IDK who did it, maybe if I could find the mod for that thread? Yes it wasn't exactly on topic but I was responding to what someone else had posted, about grammar/spelling in the ''First Egg Countdown'' thread.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  2. Crafty chick

Crafty chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2012
    Pierceton, Indiana
    danand~ i love that pic :)

3. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I agree! Absolutley terrible! When I was talking about my bad experience with auctions I was talking about this one! I went there to buy horses. I did go back more than once though because I looked at it ask more of a rescue mission. This may sound werid but when I used to got there a few years ago. There were people there that would buy a bunch of horses and get them butchered. Of course theydont tell that is what they are doing. MY moms old boyfriend knew some of the guys there that did that. A few months ago someone told me they found a bunch of malnourished animals and like 50 carcasses. I dont know if they said it was at the sale barn or at someones house that was involved with strawtown.

Thanks. They are fine with the nesting boxes. Some try to sleep in them. I always go put them back on the roost. I always Have 2 that look at them like they think they are going to fly down on it again. What they dont know is I will sit there and move them everytime. I stagered them so that they couldnt bother each other while laying eggs. My other pen is okay with them too.

4. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Just started reading that article and that is what my friend was trying to tell me about. I guess she just told me the wwrong numbers. I wish the numbers she said were right though because the numbers she told me were a lot lower.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  5. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop

The buried wire will either run up the bricks to the wood and be bolted down there, or since we have a couple extra bags of Quicrete, I might put the fence down and then put concrete along the edges of it to secure it. I thought about putting the wire down before the foundation, but then my fear was that something might dig along the bottom of the bricks and push the fence out of the way as well.

Thank you for your thoughts--I'm always glad to have something pointed out so that I have to think it over again. I want this addition to be 100% secure from predators on the first go!

6. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2013
    Rockville, Indiana
    Quote:Mine have been in the incubator for a week now. I need to candle soon so I know what I've got.

7. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Ah dang it. I went to go check on my 4-week old chicks this morning and I found a little bloody pooh. It was bright red - not the intestinal lining. Fortunately thanks to BYC I knew what it meant and started Corid right away. Its my fault. I moved them in to a large dog kennel outside when they turned four weeks. I've had other chickens in it fairly recently (healthy), I hosed it out and put in clean bedding but I didnt disinfect it like I should have. I've let them out in the grass the past few days for a few hours at a time. Hopefully they will be all healed up in a couple of days. I don't think I will need to worry about treating the rest of the flock... let me know if I am being to lax.

On a brighter note, my silkie stayed with her eggs all night and was there when I left for work this morning. Hurray!

8. CRSelvey

CRSelvey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN
    Good Luck with your chicks Julie! That stuff worked really well for mine and I hope it does for yours as well.

9. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Thanks! I wish I would have been a little more proactive instead of reactive but it looks like I at least caught it early. Live and learn I guess.

10. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    All the breeds you mentioned are milk cows. You might want to think Angus or Hereford. Sort of the difference between Old English Game Bird vs. Orpington for meat.

John

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by