1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. animallover2202

animallover2202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    Buck Creek IN
    My dad said when the insurance people are out of the way I can get more chicken lol I'm happy but sad the best I can do is stay positive :)

1 person likes this.
  2. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Cluck, Quack, YAK-YAK-YAK! Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Day two of building! The wider gap in the nearer wall will be the human door. The chicken door will go between the studs on the far wall. The roof is going to be about 14 inches higher along the current coop's wall and slope down to the wall to the left. (Oh, and those darned branches have been trimmed back since this picture was taken!)

I have harp this afternoon, but we may do more building afterward. Depends on how tired we are, I suppose. :)

1 person likes this.
  3. toodlesmom

toodlesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2013
    Pipd - You play harp? How nice! Traditional or Irish?

4. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Cluck, Quack, YAK-YAK-YAK! Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    Traditional. :) I have only played for 5 or 6 years, so I'm not great at it, but it's a pretty fun hobby and so relaxing after a stressful day.

5. toodlesmom

Jul 1, 2013
    Pipd - I have been reading your stories about your chickens and your first aid box advice. You are quite a good writer! Then there is your coop building and your harp playing. You are a woman of many talents!

6. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    Very nice setup! And so many ideas to steal...I mean use.

7. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    I just want to say that I love the frizzle cochin ameracauna cross. Thats like the perfect mix! Could you get a cuter more cuddly little chick?

Also, Pipd, I just took the time to read a little background on some of your chickies. Such a sad back story on the silver laced sebrights. Glad they have such a happy home now. :) Thanks for sharing your stories!

8. toodlesmom

Jul 1, 2013
    This isn't chicken-related, but I am getting desperate. Anyone want an utterly useless dog? We have a handsome, healthy, good-natured, 80-pound mutt who needs a loving home. He doesn't chase squirrels or other animals, but hasn't been exposed to chickens, so I don't know how he would do. Jack is quite loving, clumsy, and can't figure out how to play. (He does have a rag, which is all that is left of the only toy he has ever been interested in, that he loves to worry and toss in the air. He needs to be crated when no one is home as he has anxiety problems when he is alone and will wet indoors. We don't have a fenced yard for him to run in, or a child to play with him. Our son acquired him as a rescue, then joined the Navy, leaving his dog with us. He is in agreement with us that Jack needs more attention and exercise than we can give him. We have a clowder of cats since we used to do cat rescue; all of them are old, neurotic and/or FIV+. Most are terrified of dogs, even though he isn't at all interested in them. They were here first, and I think that they should be able to live in peaceful retirement. If you are at all interested, please let me know..

9. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    Not a particular mill. I'm not even sure how many choices we have. I'm definitely willing to shop around if we get a group together and we can figure out how much we would be interested in buying at a time.

10. jchny posted: There's a big mess over it and they are not able to sell any more animals. Its awful.
    http://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/more-than-100-charges-filed-in-case-of-170-dead-animals-found-on-farm

jchny~ That is a horrible story! Just sickening.
    TooFast~ Thanks for the input about BYC administrative issues. Big Brother is everywhere.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by julie0477 [​IMG]

Ah dang it. I went to go check on my 4-week old chicks this morning and I found a little bloody pooh. It was bright red - not the intestinal lining. Fortunately thanks to BYC I knew what it meant and started Corid right away. Its my fault. I moved them in to a large dog kennel outside when they turned four weeks. I've had other chickens in it fairly recently (healthy), I hosed it out and put in clean bedding but I didnt disinfect it like I should have. I've let them out in the grass the past few days for a few hours at a time. Hopefully they will be all healed up in a couple of days. I don't think I will need to worry about treating the rest of the flock... let me know if I am being to lax.

On a brighter note, my silkie stayed with her eggs all night and was there when I left for work this morning. Hurray!

Julie0477~ Was the bloody pooh from coccidosis? Just wondering. I've read that those parasites love warm humid conditions (like we've been having!)
    Glad your silkie is ok.

animal lover~ Hope you are able to keep a few chickens since they are a great hobby for you. Do your 4H meetings with the chicken leader lady continue throughout the year?
    We found this baby blue jay on the front porch yesterday. It looked about half dead, so I tried to get it to eat some watermelon. When his mom called for him, his eyes suddenly shot open and he called back! I put disposable gloves on and put him under a bush knowing he'd probably not make it. At least I didn't find any blue feathers on my porch this morning. His markings were really pretty. I hadn't seen a young blue jay that close up before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by