INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I've been bawling my eyes out for the last 2 hours.  Came home from class and ran over my beautiful pair of gray silkies.  They are cooped in the car port but evidently found the pavement on the drive cooler; I hadn't shut them in before I left as it was about 4:30, and had just got dark when I drove in, so didn't see them.  I've lost birds that I was attached to before but never so blatantly my fault.

Oh, I'm so sorry! :hugs Don't be too hard on yourself, accidents happen!

goodb ~ Welcome to the Indiana Thread!
Since I'm still catching up on posts from being gone a few days, I'm sure there are other new names to welcome. As I notice new names while I'm catching up, I'll send them this info, too.

Do you want to be listed on the BYC Indiana Members’ List?
“Being a member of this thread” just means adding your screen name and flock info, which can be helpful because the list is a spreadsheet format that lets you sort the list by breed, county, or other category. It’s an easy way to find other members who have the same breed you have or who live in a nearby county, etc.

Click on the link below my signature to view the members list. Just look at the bottom of the list page for sorting options.

If you’d like to be added, send me a PM (personal message) by simply placing your cursor over my screen name: Mother2Hens, and you will see “Send a PM.” A personal message ensures that your info is added. Please send your screen name, county, and city. Also include the following information about each member of your flock: List each species (chicken, duck, etc.), breed (Barred Rock, etc.), is it a LF (Large Fowl) or Bantam? Quinstar (Erin) actually adds the info, so you can PM her directly, too-- whatever is the easiest for you. if you have any questions about this thread, please PM Jchny2000 (Janet) who is the founder (thread starter) of this group.

Indiana County Map for instant member location
If anyone would like a map of your county, like the one on my avatar, I will be happy to provide one. If someone wants a combo map and a chicken or an animal for your avatar, I can put that together for you, just PM me. When I read posts, many times I think “Now where are they from?” I look at the city and still have no idea what part of the state they’re from. The map icon with the county in red because you could quickly glance and see where the member who is posting is from. These avatars are not required-- they are just a free service if you’re interested.

If members would like me to change the photo(s) on their avatars, just PM me. Someone might have a picture of a chick that has grown into a hen (or a roo!) and would like to update the photo or someone might like something totally different.

BYC Indiana Google Map for detailed information
Cluck Acres (Curtis) set up a Google Map for just us INDIANA BYC’ers. You must first log on to your Google account or make a Google account. (If you have gmail, just use your gmail password). All you have to do is go to this link....http://goo.gl/maps/UShV6 . Here are the directions. You will see the state of Indiana.. Zoom in to where you live and then click on the red button that says Edit. After you click Edit you will see a hand, blue pin point and a zig zag line on the map. Click the pin point and drag it to where you live on the map. After you have placed your pin point then click on it and you can edit your description by adding your county. If you want to change your blue pin point to another icon or upload your own then up on the right of that box click the pin point icon and choose others or upload your own icon. If anyone has problems with this feel free to ask.

This information is submitted periodically by Mother2Hens.

Quote: As I recall, all beans if raw or undercooked can contain a substance that is poisonous to birds. I would say your girls probably knew something was up.

I don't remember where this was, but not long ago, I read an article within which they spoke of chickens' abilities to (usually) determine what they shouldn't eat. If I'm remembering correctly, it spoke of chickens having just enough taste buds to determine through taste whether they should eat something or not. This was showcased in a test by someone putting a bowl of tossed leaves and lettuce out for their flock to eat. Part of the leaves were not good for chickens to eat (not deathly poisonous, but not good, either), and the rest was fine for chicken consumption. The chickens ate around the not-so-good stuff and left it behind without a second glance. (I'll see if I can find this article. I think it was in one of the chicken magazines I get.)

Now, obviously when it comes to unnatural things like Styrofoam or insulation, they are not so keen on what they can and can't eat. The one time I used my incubator (it's a hovabator or whatever they're called, made out of Styrofoam), I put it outside to be cleaned and the hens started to eat it! One corner has small, beak-sized chunks missing from them eating it!
roll.png

I use a piece of that pink foam house insulation to kneel on while i work on fences. They think its candy! I have since put an old pillow case over it.

CRSelvey Love the appenzeller pics, adorable little babies!

What kind of scraps do you all give your chickens? I have just been giving mine greens and fruit. I have leftovers in my fridge that I need to get rid of, but I don't want to give them something bad for them.

Most anything we eat, no avacado. I look it up online and on the treat list if I am not sure. (see pips's quote)

Here some more pics! Beetlejuice and Lydia going to "goose" Eagle

Look! I grew a chicken!
Hehe, wonder if I plant the eggs....
big_smile.png

Bazinga! Please don't be like Sheldon. lol

lau.gif

Quote: Peecious baby tho
love.gif

No eggs in sight yet but we have found SNAKES! GAH!. We found recently hatched "mutt" snakes...they kind that will imitate poisonous snakes to keep predators away.. we were told they were released by Crane. Thanks Crane...
Who is Crane?

Here's a wonderful ww2 poster from GB.

Whatever goes in my compost they have access to.

Me too, love that pic!

So, slightly terrified of the 1162 unread posts.... I guess I'll get around to that later. Just wanted to pop in say hi, I'm still here, just very busy. Chickens are great and terribly naughty. Still no eggs and they now love to go hang out in the neighbors run and then not figure out how to get out. We have 3 breeds in common so I think I'm going to have to get some leg bands because it's starting to get difficult to tell my girls apart from theirs.

Finally got shingles on the coop, not the only thing left is building exterior nesting boxes and siding. I'm throwing in some temp nesting boxes tonight. Hopefully that will inspire the ladies to start popping out some eggs!

Hope everything is going well for everyone. I'm going to try and catch up on posts at some point in my life. Welcome to any new members that I have missed in the last couple of weeks. I'm a slacker...

frow.gif
Good to see you! I got over 200 posts behind in 2 days
ep.gif
still trying to hop on 2x a day, not happening lately.

And I took some pictures today, mainly of my little girls and Margie.
big_smile.png
Nothing makes ya feel better than time with the girls.

Rangi the Ancona, of course, who was practically standing on my head while I took Po's picture.
roll.png

What a girl.
love.gif

Huka the Silver Lakenvelder, who apparently did not want her picture taken:

Ihi the Golden Campine--she looks like a relative of racinchickens' Hamburg!
love.gif

Roha the Exchequer Leghorn:

Whiri the Light Brown Leghorn--she is so, so pretty!
love.gif

Marama the Egyptian Fayoumi, having a rest:

Po boy the black Cochin bantam:

Here's Roha again.
roll.png
She's always sticking her face in the camera.

And Whiri hiding her face while Frou-Frou, my beloved splash Marans, tries to get in on her dust bath.
lol.png

They have all grown up just beautiful!

I've officially gone crazy and won the lavender cuckoo Cochin bantam eggs. Now I need o find some lavender Cochin bantams to breed them to to diversify the lines. But then again, think I will be waiting to see if they actually hatch! Lol
big_smile.png
awesome~~!!!!!! i wondered if it was you. sending good hatching vibes they are too cute.

Thanks for all of the snack ideas for the chickies everyone! So any thoughts on mineral blocks? We feed Dumor Sheep and Goat minerals to our alpacas, and the chickens found them. They now go into the barn once a day to eat the mineral block. Here are the ingredients...
Wheat Middlings, Corn Gluten Feed, Corn Gluten Feed, Cottonseed meal, Wheat Flour, Salt, Molasses, Calcium Carbonate, Corn Distillers Dried Grains, Bentonite, Monocalcium Phosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate,Cobalt Carbonate, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Sodium Molybdate, Manganous Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Ferrous Carbonate, Sodium Selenite.
Guaranteed Analysis:
CrudeProtein (min.) 18.00%, CrudeFat (min.) 2.00%, CrudeFiber (max.) 8.00%, Calcium(Ca) (min.) 3.30%, Calcium(Ca) (max.) 3.80%, Phosphorus(P) (min.) 1.00%, Salt(NaCl) (min.) 10.00%, Salt(NaCl) (max.) 12.00%, Sodium(Na) (min.) 4.50%, Sodium(Na) (max.) 5.50%, Iodine(I) (min.) 10.00ppm, Selenium(Se) (min.) 1.00ppm, Selenium(Se) (max.) 1.10ppm, Zinc(Zn) (min.) 170.00ppm, VitaminA (min.) 20,000IU/lb, VitaminD-3 (min.) 1,000IU/lb, Ruminant meat and bone meal free.

my birds sneak pecks of the mineral blocks too, more than my goats it seems
roll.png

So sorry to hear about pbird's tragic accident! Please forgive yourself.
Also sad to hear about danad's horse. I hope there is info available from equine behaviorists about how to help your other horse through grieving.
Darth~ I hope other Cornish owners can help. That's terrible that someone would sell you those for pets to raise. It's also terrible that they were bred by humans for greed with no regard for the chickens' quality of life.
I think I missed the beginning of the flea discussion. Were y'all talking about using it with chickens or with your cats and dogs?

We provide wood ash (free-choice) as part of the chicken's dusting areas. It is purported to suffocate the lice/mites and eggs on the chicken itself. I have not had any lice, mites, or fleas on my chickens to see if it works at removing an infestation. But it does seem to work for prevention.
Doesn't BYC stand for Backyard Cats?
I was out of town, but I think the discussion began with chicken treatments for fleas. When I was catching up on posts last night, I saw the word "Frontline," which I had just discussed with my veterinarian yesterday when I brought my flea-bag cat in.

Since my post last night about fleas, there's been good input from many members about their experiences. With any treatment, "results may vary" depending on the individual creature being treated.

In my post, I was strictly talking about Frontline for cats. And my cat's experience with the Comfortis pill for cats was great. Lionel is very happy finally being flealess.

Lionel is examining himself in the mirror to make sure every last flea is gone and to make sure my sink is as unsanitary as possible!
Although I hate to use chemicals, it's one of those "Do the benefits outweigh the risks?" types of situations. I think Danad posted concerns about a pet orally consume pesticides vs. skin application. Either way, the pesticide typically enters the bloodstream, just by different methods. Some pesticides adhere to the skin.
CRSelvey posted:

Good Post! I was at Costco the other day and bought the Kirkland brand of the Frontline and even though it seems to be working, it does not distribute like the Frontline does. It just sat in a gooey mess on my dog and cat until I brushed them out more. Now I know why it cost less and thank you for letting me know to watch for effectiveness.

Last summer I tried Walmart's generic version of Frontline Plus called PetArmor Plus on my cats and it was not effective. I ran across this explanation online: Veterinarian Lorie Huston reports in the Pet Health Care Gazette [http://www.pet-health-care-gazette.com/2011/05/14/best-flea-treatment-for-dogs-and-cats/] that while these products do contain the same active ingredient as Frontline products, they do not have the same "translocation technology that allows the product to be spread through the skin."

Got my 3rd egg today. Named it Sheldon Friedrich Cackleberry. Weights so far are 42.01g, 42.24g, 48.59g.

John
That poor egg will never be able to spell its name!

Back
Top Bottom