INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

2. toodlesmom

toodlesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2013
    Thanks for the information! I learn so much from all of the posters on this list!

3. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    M2H excellent post, thanks for sharing! So, anyone, what product is working for you? I have used the adams spray on my pug, it kills the fleas but she eventually gets them again. I have used it for years for dogs that I brought in with fleas. (NOT on puppies) Capstar works that way also, its a pill they eat, fleas all die and drop off 30 minutes later. I am looking for a good preventative, frontline is not working here anymore either. I hate seeing even one flea on Sadie, she gets an allergic reaction from the bites and gets hotspots, poor baby. I have read of using the original ivermec pour-on on dogs. kind of nervous on it. She is a precious lil girl and don't want to risk harming her. Vet was not much help either, time to change vets.

Looks like you will be having that breakfast soon!
    [​IMG] i wont even think about what my eggs cost! UGH

I read every post even if I am far behind like I am now. I'm just afraid I will miss something if I don't read them all-- and they are worth taking the time. The photos are an added bonus. We have a great group!

I've been trying to catch up after a long weekend bringing furniture to our daughter in Indy and also to our daughter at IU. Luckily we completed all the moving tasks because last night after I had watered a hillside flower bed, I slipped and twisted my right knee. Had it checked today and have torn cartilage. It's not that big of a deal, just annoying. My chickens were helping me weed when it happened, and they look stunned when I slipped and fell like, "Oh no, our leader has fallen!"

Meanwhile my Jubilee Orp, Adeline, and yet to be named Chocolate Bantam Orp (I've been referring to them as "the two brown ones") have been getting used to hanging out near the Five Mean Hens. Actually my Jersey Giant who is the flock leader is laid back, but the other four occasionally run the brown ones off. My EE is normally so sweet, but she's at the bottom of the pecking order out of the five, so she's been the meanest to the brown ones. I suppose she wants to let them know that she's not going to be "under them" as well. The bantam is so laid back that she just does what she wants without fear while big and fluffy Adeline is nervous around the other hens. Chicken behavior is so fascinating.
    [​IMG]
    OH NO! hope your knee mends soon, don't overdo it! Did they give you an elastic brace to help it mend?
    Adeline will find her place in the flock as she matures, she may surprise you.
    Bantams do seem to be fearless! Your lil chocolate thinks she is their size.
    Butters, my buff silkie roo has my BBW turkeys in fear of him, its totally amazing how they run from him if he gets mad! Talk about a bold lil roo!
    He was the "rooster" for them when they were chicks, and still respect him. He would attack me if i picked one of his babies up.
    He still finds them food, too. its pretty funny seeing a 2 pound chicken clucking and fussing to 25+ pound turkey.
    Thank you for your extra side trip too [​IMG] Will post pics when one of the DDs will take some for me.

4. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Haha never! I sleep a few hours and wake up. works out well taking care of my mom.
    The pills really upset me too. I want to find a prevention rather than a quick fix that's really a pesticide.

5. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    They will sort it out eventually. If you have an egg eater, fill a blown egg with mustard, or try to collect often. Fake eggs or golfballs will help to stop it too.

Ugh that's so sad. I do have 2 Cornish cross, a hen that lays huge eggs, lilX and Tank that is a full blown rooster. they are over a year old now. Both part of my egg flock, and earn their keep. Every one of LilX's chicks don't seem to live past 6 weeks. Every one "flips" by then, feet up, on their back, just died. I have 2 in the brooder now and hoping they make it. They are meant for a "meat bird" so if you want to keep them, treat them as a regular chicken but with hold feed to at least 12 hours off.

Lovely flock and precious lil girl [​IMG]

Ugh. Been there, I just use the common sense approach on why "i need this new bird", One isn't gonna break the bank, but I am fully chicken math engulfed [​IMG]
    The biggest reason there is the lonely one may pine itself to the point of being ill. It is very important that the kids see you discuss a decision of what happens.
    My kids are all grown but I sure have been there.

6. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Oh my, just awful. I am so sorry. I don't have horses but hope someone can give advice [​IMG]

They are not meant for eggs, or pets, strictly a meat bird. They rarely make it past 12 weeks. The seller should make this right for you.
    exactly.

7. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Oh i love when they squat, little dolls!

8. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    [​IMG] and our thread [​IMG] I only ask you keep it "family friendly" within BYC guidelines. We talk about anything here, vent, cry laugh and have fun! Post whatever you like within those rules.

[​IMG] I am so sorry.
    ugh, so sorry. Its not pleasant to do but sure helps them feel better.

9. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

10. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Welcome to our thread! [​IMG] If I didn't say it already! We are sure a chatty group, don't hesitate to ask anything as long as it falls into BYC guidelines (children friendly).

M2H I love Lionel, he looks like my Rusty (RIP at 19) I loved so much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by