Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Nice. Congrats!!![​IMG]
  2. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    I know what you mean. I've been off 24 hrs to a poultry show, and come back to all this ch[​IMG]atter !!!!
  3. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    How adorable! The mom looks like a RIR, but what breed is the chick?

To all members~ Please label photos with name of breed for newbies and the elderly (both, in my case!) Pipd (who is neither new nor elderly) is especially good at remembering to label her excellent photos. The repetitiveness of listing them each time is helpful to learn various breeds.
    Don't forget that after every 1,000 pages of posts on this thread, there is a comprehensive test.
    1 person likes this.
  4. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    This thread is number 5. Only those in the Games threads are higher. I am guessing they are kids discussing computer games.

We have 2 in the top 10 rated posts...

Kiniska's birthday gifts is number 4.
    John's post about taking chickens to the grocery store to thump watermelons is number 6.

Who woulda thunk?
  5. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom True BYC Addict

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana broody mamma is a hatchery red girl. Same girl went broody last winter and raised 4 chicks.

The chick is a Swedish Flower Hen. She has 8 SFH eggs under her right now. In the winter she had 7 eggs and only 1 hatched! I got some (3) day-olds from Babymakes6 that were from the same source (incredibly) and put them under her with the single that hatched so she had a brood of 4.
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  6. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom True BYC Addict

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Adding - 5 of the eggs under her right now were shipped. Obviously I don't have a lot of luck w/shipped eggs! (all 7 last time were shipped) 3 of the eggs are from my own kiddos.
  7. toodlesmom

toodlesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2013
    Naptown Chickens (motto: "A COOP IN EVERY YARD; A FRESH EGG ON EVERY PLATE!") is sponsoring a Tour de Coops! Sounds like fun! I hope some of you Indiana BYCers, especially those living in or near Indianapolis, will be able to attend.

The 2013 Tour de Coops will be held Sunday, September 22nd, between 1pm and 5pm throughout the Broad Ripple, Meridian-Kessler, Butler-Tarkington and Rocky Ripple neighborhoods. There will be 12 "show coops" on display and a couple of Project Poultryschools with coops. This is an "open-house" style event and can be explored at your leisure.
    Tour de Coops is bicycle-friendly and encouraged!Pedal & Park will be providing bicycle racks for your safety. Of course, cars are also welcome on the tour.
    The Tour de Coops begins at Agrarian, located at 661 E. 49th Street, Indianapolis, 46205. When you arrive, please check in and register to receive a Tour Map, which will serve as your ticket at each coop location.
    We will be raffling off a chicken coop at the registration site. T-shirts and bumper stickers will also be for sale.

Get your Pre-Sale Tickets online for $8/person. On the day of the event, tickets are $10/person on-site.
    A portion of all proceeds will benefit Nap Town Chickens’ Project Poultry school program: one local school will receive a donated, furnished and stocked chicken coop so that kids and teachers can learn not only the importance of where an egg comes from, but the fun of it, too!
    Be sure to join us for an old fashioned egg tossing contest after the ride!
    1 person likes this.
  8. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    My Coop
    :lau Poor Cricket will never live down her little pink dress!

Her dress, if anyone wondered, was just the leg off of one of my niece's old pairs of pants. Cut out wing holes and shorten it for her legs to move comfortably, and viola! She hated every moment in it, but at least she didn't get too cold while she was featherless. :) (And M2H, she's a barred Rock. ;) )

And I'm relatively sure there was something else I wanted to reply to, but I've forgotten. :confused:

Oh! M2H, I think my splash Marans, Frou-Frou, has somehow been speaking to your Jersey. She has been 'pretending' to lay eggs! I haven't been finding eggs from her in a month or two, but I recently found her nesting in her usual spot in one corner of the coop. Still no eggs to be found, not even a sign that they'd been destroyed! Silly girl!

9. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Hmmmmmmm. 280 miles round trip for a chicken. Yeah, no problem. I'll come down tomorrow and wait for her to hatch.[​IMG]

Do you have space on a couch? I'll share with your dog, if need be.

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    In my breeder pens, currently not being used for breeding, I have an old hay rack. It is their since my breeder pens used to be horse stalls. The screws were corroded and I coudlnt get the off. So I figured the chickens might use it as a perch. Well they do. And my blue cochin fell inbetween the wall and the rack, i had to help her out [​IMG]. O and I also have an old food bowl that hooks to the wall for horses that didnt come off for the same reason and 3 chickens roost on it all 3 LF and one a cochin! the bowl is not very big. And occasionlay I find an egg it, goofballs [​IMG]. And then I have a LF cochin that wedges herself in the corner, by the door. They have 2 roosts that could fit at LEAST 25 LF chickens per roost. But if thats how they want to sleep fine by me. It only cost me $10 to put them up, oh well. On another note my bantam rooster has had a cold. So i gave him some vet RX as directed for colds, but it dosent say how many days or how manys times a day to do it. Anybody have anyday how long I should keep giving it to him? Just until it goes away?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by