INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    How is the rating done? Where is it listed? I'm starting to think there's something to Old Salt's paranoia that we are all being recorded!

Originally Posted by Old Salt 1945 [​IMG]Hmmmmmmm. 280 miles round trip for a chicken. Yeah, no problem. I'll come down tomorrow and wait for her to hatch.[​IMG] Do you have space on a couch? I'll share with your dog, if need be.
    John

Old Salt~ She might let you share with her dog, but stay away from her birthday kitten! Kiniska isn't too far from me. I'll be happy to pick up an orp chick for you and I'll deliver it whenever I am in the Lebanon area. And that might be never.

DOSAGES AND PREPARING SOLUTION
    The directions below apply to bantams and mature poultry of similar size, unless otherwise noted. For larger or smaller birds, change dosage in proportion to size of bird.

Use VetRx warm, unless otherwise specified. To warm, open cap. Put bottle in small pan of water. Heat at medium temperature. Always test temperature of product before applying internally or externally.

To preare solution, add one teaspoonful of warm VetRx to one cup very warm water.

Note: VetRx mixes with hot water, but floats on top of cold water. This characteristic is helpful, as will be seen in treatment described.

COLDS AND ROUP
    Symptoms of colds are watery eyes, droopy appearance, and an unusual tendency to shake or turn the head.

To aid in the treatment of minor respiratory conditions, drip VetRx solution into bird's nostrils. Place a few drops of warm VetRx, straight from the bottle, down throat of infected bird at night. Also, rub some warm VetRx from the bottle over head of birds and under wings.

If condition becomes worse, change to stronger solution of one teaspoonful of VetRx in one-half cup of hot water. Also, swab throat and wash head and eyes with this stronger solution four or five times per day. Keep nostrils, eyes and throat as clean as possible.

Flock Care -- If colds infect many in a flock, spray warm VetRx solution over as many birds as possible. Use any small sprayer, and keep sprayer in pan of hot water before using. For birds in flock which look droopy, rub warm VetRx, full strength, over their heads, eyes and under their wings (When birds sleep with head under wings, vapors will help them). Also provide plenty of clean cool drinking water for the flock. Add a few drops of VetRx in drinking water each time you change it. It will float on the water and get on the beaks and nostrils of birds each time they drink, helping to treat them.

Vaporizer -- If you decide to use a vaporizer, make certain it is a hot water model. Follow manufacturer's directions. Fill cup with VetRx full strength and operate vaporizer for at least one hour while birds are roosting.

Preventing colds and roup -- To help prevent colds, sprinkle a few drops of VetRx in litter every four or five days. Add a few drops to drinking water every time you change it. Rub one or two drops of warm, full-strength VetRx under wings. This will not only help birds when they put heads under their wings, but their body heat will send aromatic vapors throughout coop to help all birds.

For Show Birds: To protect birds from colds while traveling to and from shows, place a few drops of warm VetRx under one wing. It does not stain, or harm feathers, wings, or color. Rubbing VetRx on legs brings out the true color and helps protect from mites and lice. When birds return from shows, keep them separated from the flock for one week. Wash feet and heads with warm solution, and run warm VetRx from the bottle on heads and under wings.

Oh! M2H, I think my splash Marans, Frou-Frou, has somehow been speaking to your Jersey. She has been 'pretending' to lay eggs! I haven't been finding eggs from her in a month or two, but I recently found her nesting in her usual spot in one corner of the coop. Still no eggs to be found, not even a sign that they'd been destroyed! Silly girl!
    Btw, Frou-Frou has dramatic eyeliner ~ so pretty!
    Leah's Mom~ You are lucky! I'd love to have a broody hen who would hatch some eggs.
    toodlesmom~ I just might attend the Indy Coop Tour this year. Sounds like a lot of fun.

2. Kiniska

Kiniska Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2012
    English, Indiana
    I was thinking we might be up your way and I'd drop it off silly. My sister in-law lives in Indy and my in laws live in northern Illinois. :p
    If you don't want one that is okay too. Or you can will it to M2H. ;)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  3. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Mudder tu Henz has too many chickens. She would only mistreat the pullet, making her carry heavy burdens on dangerous construction sites.

I would drive to Indy for a pretty little EE pullet. Blue, of course, so she wouldn't clash with my other varmints darlings.

John

4. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop

Frou'f has never sung the egg song, even when she was laying real eggs, so no. She does, however, make evil noises if anyone with feathers gets to close to her nest (not broody-esque evil noises, just normal over-protective-nest-guard evil noises). :lol: I love her eyeliner, too. My silly fuzzy bird. :love

(Strange, it didn't quote the whole thing...)

5. danand

danand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Westport In
    We got almost 3 inches of rain here from 6:00 last night till this morning!! We needed it but wow!!!

And some of my young EE's have started laying!![​IMG]

6. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I don't know if we got 3 inches or not but it sure rained a lot here. Congrats on the EE eggs. I have been gathering with anticipation of a green egg every day. The that I bought them said they would start in September but they are bigger than the rest of my flock. One paces back and forth in from of the egg boxes so I think we are close.

7. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    I have a feeling my broody is going to abandon the rest of the eggs. We'll see. If that happens....

I don't have an incubator so I can't put them in to continue brooding if any are still viable. Any ideas?

8. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I have heard of hatching eggs using a regular light bulb but I never tried it. Here is a thread claiming that you can use a heat lamp.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/141583/can-you-really-hatch-eggs-under-a-heat-lamp

9. Kiniska

Kiniska Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2012
    English, Indiana
    How horrid of M2H! Poor little hennies subjucated to hard labor.

I have EOs, not EEs. You would be in for a surprise when you picked up if you were expecting an EE. :D

10. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    I draw the line at sleeping on a couch with a dead kitten. Freshly dead dog, OK, once, again.

John

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by