INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Whutsa EO? Eagle/Orpington cross? I have 6 Buff Orpingtons. Don't need any more. If that's what it is, give it to M2H. She needs to plow the back 40 and one of her mules died.

John

1 person likes this.
  2. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Thank you, but those are the exact directions mine came with. I have read through it several times. I know how to treat it, it just doesn't say how many days to continue treating. He acts fine and I am just going to continue treating him until it has gone away. Many people have told me that Vet rx is just glorified vapor rub for chickens. It is very strong mediecene, so he isnt going to get hurt if I give him a little to much, but it is working.

3. EmSteele

EmSteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    My husband despises social media of any type but he never fails to ask what you've come up with every evening :)

4. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    If Old Salt doesn't know the difference and he wants a blue bird, just box up a blue jay; it could even be a dead blue jay. I'll take his orp since he has no appreciation for aesthetics.

1 person likes this.
  5. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Yeah, I think you're right about the comparison to vapor rub. I saw this thread with info about it and chicken "colds."
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/254494/anyone-every-use-vetrx-poultry-remedy-for-colds

I also ran across this on the Heritage Poultry Breeders Association of America (HPBAA) site. Scroll down to read about VetRx.
    There's a lot of info about a variety of birds on this site. Also info on Incubating Eggs.
    http://hpbaa.com/Poultry_Health.html

6. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    For anyone who is interested, Vetricyn is comparable to Dakin's solution. People have made it for years. You have to use it right away...can't make up a big batch and have it sitting around.

Here is the recipe:

http://www.virginia.edu/uvaprint/HSC/pdf/09024.pdf

ETA: Not to be confused with VetRX

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. pbirdhaven

pbirdhaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    North Vernon IN
    Just trying to catch up after a day of preparing for the show, a day at the show (hot, hot, hot!!) and a day recuperating, so a few things and probably don't remember some that I intended to post.

First of all, thanks for the kind comments after my chicken tragedy.

A belated happy birthday to Kiniska--actually tried to post in a more timely fashion but for some reason it wouldn't submit.

There's been lots of helpful info posted lately--thanks to all who have contributed.

And thanks to Brad and everyone else who has worked on the members' list.

1 person likes this.
  8. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    M2H- thank you for the links!

9. pbirdhaven

pbirdhaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    North Vernon IN
    It was sooo hot at the show yesterday! I normally get to spend some time visiting with LAMom but I was too hot and grouchy to be much company.

Didn't sell any of my Appenzeller chicks, but several people looked and wanted to know about them. Think I'll take a couple of adults to the Bloomington show so that folks can see how they turn out.

Came home with more silkies, of course.

A gorgeous little silver sebright hen was the top dog, er, chicken, when awards were announced. An acquaintance and I had just been commenting on how nice she was--maybe we should be judges!

One of my Polish cocks was disqualified because I forgot to remove his stubs. (Insert emoticon of me kicking myself.)

And that is the news from Lake WoebeWestport--stay tuned for the next exciting episode.

10. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I was in my grow out pen today, that currently has 8 ameraucanas in it. Of course they all run away from me when I am in there. So i have to corner them to catch one. then they realize that I want to pet them and that it isnt so bad. But when i put them down they run away in terror again lol. So i corned them to catch one and all ran away but one. I was like huh why didnt you run way little guy? I was suprised how calm he was. I looked at him, he is blind in his left eye. The reason he didnt rin away is because I was on his left side and he couldnt see me. He is really nice though. Hopefully he stays that way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by