INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Flock Two~ The Brown Girls: English Jubilee Orpington "Adeline" and English Chocolate Orpington (Bantam) "Bonbon." Both 6 months old~ should be laying soon.
    [​IMG]
    Their size difference makes them a funny pair, especially when Bonbon is the friendly and fearless one!
    [​IMG]
    Glad I finally got a good photo of Bonbon.
    [​IMG]
    The girls were finally ready to venture outside of the fence with The Mean Hens this weekend during their supervised Field Trips.

2. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    It's great to see you posting again!~ Strssed Mom (My hens have had a summer of irregular laying, but have been back in a routine the past couple of weeks), Backyard Bitten (loved the cartoon!!) and Country Hen (still trying to change your husband's chicken names- Haha!)
    HouseKat~ I agree that renting chickens may not be a good idea, but as CCCHICKENS mentioned, renting a goat would be really handy and the goat would probably enjoy it as well. Maybe jchny will rent one of hers out-- probably Bo, her buck who needs to leave the mama and baby goat alone. He needs a hobby.

3. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    [​IMG] Hi guys, am really behind on posts now! Busy weekend. Lost one of my piglets, They all had scours. [​IMG]
    Started treatment when I realized it but was too late for one. Risks of buying livestock from someone you don't know.
    the other 3 are responding very well to treatment.
    Once we resolve the scours and finish treatment will start working on probotics to get their strength and health back.
    Heartbreaking. Have taken advantage of the cooler weather, outside all day both days!
    Celebrated my youngest DDs 21st birthday today, DH and I took her and our future SIL out to montana mikes [​IMG]
    Very proud that she is waiting until she finishes college to be married, both kids have at least 1 year left.
    Bought her a margarita to celebrate her "adulthood" and we all enjoyed the dinner!
    She is moving out on her own October 1st. Rooming up with her best friend and sharing expenses.
    I had the "safety" talk with both girls to be very aware of things around them since they are living alone.

Feeling the pings of empty nest syndrome I guess [​IMG]. But my oldest DD moved back home, and have my parents, not really so empty [​IMG]!
    Going to catch up, or try to on the posts! Please, pm me if you asked me a question in case I missed it!

4. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    The egg turner has 6 trays. You only need 2. Take out the others. They pop out easily.

Your incubator looks just like the Little Giant, only with all the bells and whistles at a better price. Definitely keep it.

Go to a drug store and buy a digital thermometer for about $10. They are VERY accurate. You can use it to ensure you that the thermometer that came with the incubator is accurate.

John

1 person likes this.
  5. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    [​IMG] and so glad you found our thread [​IMG]
    You are already stricken with the dreaded chicken math disease. There is no cure!
    Temporary relief can be found in adding newborn chicks [​IMG]
    But seriously, we are a very chatty group! We talk about most anything "family friendly" as there are children on the thread too.
    Just think clean subjects and language, is the main thing the forum asks us to do.
    If you want to share pics of your childs graduation, your new puppy or need to sound off, vent here [​IMG]
    Theres several swap meets we share on the thread, and try to let each other know about good vets, coop/food mills and anything bird related.
    Theres links at the bottom of this post ( my signature) to visit our member list and more.

6. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Keep watching and look over the dominant roo. There may be a health issue if the pecking order changed.
    Its the weather, has to be! All the birds I have, i got 7 eggs today. I feed them well, prolly too much, and they all free range. a month ago I was buried in eggs.
    Today I had to buy some [​IMG] I know of several bird owners dealing with the same issues.
    You will do fantastic! [​IMG]the oldest eggs may still hatch, usually chicken eggs begin to loose fertility at 7 days.
    I have 3 LG with 2 fans and turners. I also have a "hatcher" thats a "chickbater" I built from the forum info here on BYC..
    3rd LG is a plain still air, and hatch goose eggs in it, off season I use it as my hatcher.
    I dry incubate, and up humidity at lockdown to around 70%.
    I use paper towel to protect the chicks from the wire, and absorbs water from the sponges I add for humidity.
    My hatch rate is about 80% since my house is old and drafty.
    Chickens and Guinea are the easiest to hatch. [​IMG] sending good hatching vibes! PM or post if you have questions, thats why we are all here [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    she is lovely!

8. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

9. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Its done a lot! Goats will eat almost any weed. Some really nasty trees like the hawthorn or locust, and briars like wild blackberry and the wild briar that grows in old farm fields.
    No clue what it is, "stinging nettles" is what I have heard. Its awful on a bare leg!
    Pretty amazing, the natural "weedeater" and that's the main reason I keep them. Bo moves daily to a new location on tether, usually with me. He lives in the huge stock trailer at night.
    He can clear a fence row faster than i can! They strip the bark right off the hawthorn and locust, stickers and all. Kills those trees fast.
    They are very cheap to keep and usually disease free if cared for properly. I do a CDT vac to protect them annually, and they are strong and healthy because they choose their green foods..
    Sugar is now getting to tether away from Sophie who is near weaning. Sugar is pushing her off frequently so its time. We are waiting until late winter to freshen and breed,
    I hate to risk birthing in the winter. I will put Bo in with the girls in the early spring for late summer birthing.
    [​IMG]I just love them both, your lil BonBon is adorable!

10. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    What Quinstar did is similar to what we did. Sink the 4x4 posts in the ground 3 feet, pour in some concrete, cut off the top of the posts to the level we needed. If your ground is wet enough no need to add water. We set our floor (8' x 4' pallet) on top of the posts and secured it with long bolts with large washers. We wanted our coop off the ground and secure, and we got it. Winter can be very muddy in the area we have the coop.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by