INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    I'm struggling with a broody right now too. I have a Phoenix pullet that is getting pretty determined. I just had one hatch out a couple eggs, and she is turning out to be a great mom. But I'm really not up to hatching out some more mixes that will be 4+ weeks younger than the newest two. I just don't want to have so many different age groups that I need to keep separate. So I decided to try to break this one, as I don't want her to get too far out of condition with colder weather coming. I've been taking her off the nest every time I'm out there, and I removed all the wooden eggs that were in the nest boxes. We are on day 3 so far, and no change in broodiness yet.

1 person likes this.
  2. PeacefulWalls

PeacefulWalls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    Goshen, Indiana
    We've been processing our rabbits for about 5 years now. My husband does the butchering & I take over once they're ready to come into the kitchen. I'm very thankful that he is willing to do the actual butchering -- I have no problem helping skin & gut -- it's the part before that is hard for me, as for a lot of other people. Our daughter helps occasionally with the butchering and can do most all of it herself. She actually did a poster and an Illustrated Talk at both county & state fairs when she was in 4th grade on How to Process a Rabbit for Healthy Meat, with pictures of her doing every step of processing. She talked about why rabbit meat was such a healthy choice & then how to be able to process your own meat. A couple of her judges got squeamish, but she had comments from people that were appreciative of her informative talk. 2 of my favorite things to make from rabbit meat are jerky & summer sausage. Yum!!

3. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana

1 person likes this.
  4. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I just let mine hatch eggs. I know that dosent always work for everyone though

5. pginsber

pginsber Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I don't mind our pullet being broody, but like you, I dont' want her to get to far out of condition as fall approaches. We get her out of the box at least 4 times a day to eat and drink.
    It seems like a good idea to sneak a chick under her. TSC makes you buy a handful, but I really only need one.
    Guess we'll keep waiting.

6. FarkerFarms

FarkerFarms Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    Lebanon, Indiana
    Had my first chicken fatality this weekend :( It was a suicide. One of the Welsummer's flew over the five foot fence into the dog yard (and into the happy jaws of one or more of my four dogs). I didn't see it happen, just found the body that had been plucked of quite a few feathers. Hopefully it was fast (it wasn't bloody or gory). Sad - she was one of the five year old retirement freebies we got. Guess that opens up a new space in the flock! I want to choose something a bit more fun next time around. Is it possible to buy an older, already friendly hen or do you really need to raise them from chicks to get one that is friendly. The current seven aren't mean, just dubious and won't let us get close enough to touch/catch them. It would be nice to have one that actually liked people! I am also intrigued by the idea of getting something that lays a blue/green egg or an olive egger. We have an Ameracano (spelling?) but she is one of the oldies and we've only gotten two eggs out of her in two and a half months :( Anyone have a super friendly colored egg layer or two? :) Do you have to add them in two's?

7. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    it is possible to buy an older friendly hen and it is ameraucana. Sorry about your hen.

8. Quinstar

Quinstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Indiana
    That's pretty much what we did, though we didn't concrete the post in since the coop will most likely move within the next 5 years. We dug down probably 4 ft for each post and attached 2 stringers that ran parallel to each other. We secured these with carriage bolts. We then framed out the platform for the floor of the coop and placed it on top of the stringers. On top of that we secured 3/4 in treated plywood. The platform was extremely heavy after all of this so instead of spending money on brackets to attach it to the stringer (which you can do) we simply sunk a handful of deck screws from through the floor joists into the stringers. (I recommend attaching it before you attach the plywood. We didn't a and it will make attaching your platform to your stingers much easier.) Below are pictures. Hope you find them helpful!

[​IMG]
    Under the coop. We attached the bolts with nuts and spacers.

[​IMG]
    You can see how the floor joists rest on the stringer.

[​IMG]
    Couldn't get a good picture, but we angled some screws through the joists into the stringers for a little added stability.

[​IMG]
    The boards on the right side were installed after the coop was built to fill in some odd shaped holes to make sure the run was secured.

[​IMG]
    Outside view of carriage bold and spacer.

Let me know if you want any additional photos of anything or have any other questions.

1 person likes this.
  9. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks John! I'll do that. Hopefully we get some baby silkies in a few weeks.
    [​IMG]

10. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    I'm getting some chicks from the hatchery next week. I'll be listing the extras on CL.

I think there will be adult chickens for sale at the show this Saturday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by