INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. pginsber

pginsber Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Interesting...Are you engouraging my 'chicken math'?
    [​IMG]

2. pginsber

Sep 20, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Is anybody participating in the Tour do Coops this coming weekend in Indy?

3. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I have no idea what is is

4. pginsber

Sep 20, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
  5. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    sounds dangerous. You could get diseases from other peoples flocks and bring back to your chickens. Thanks for the link so that i can read up on it

6. Quinstar

Quinstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Indiana
    YAY! Keep up the good work. How many pullets do you have now?

Welcome! Can't wait to see the coop and flock. We've been working on our coop for what feels like forever!

It was quite a productive weekend for us! DH got our nesting boxes completed. Figured it was about time as the girls are starting to lay. Now the only thing left on the coop is siding! So close to being 100% done with it. It will be so nice to not stare at plywood anymore.

[​IMG]
    Exterior hinged top boxes so I don't have to crawl into the coop for the eggs anymore!

[​IMG]
    I didn't get a photo of it, but we divided the box into 6 smaller boxes with small 1/4 in plywood pieces. Do you think it will bother them that the food and water is so close? I can move it closer to the center of the coop if I need to.

[​IMG]
    I also found out sneaky little layer this weekend. Turns out it's Savannah, our Welsummer. I just love the dark brown spots on her eggs. Without fail, each day while we were working on the boxes she would show up in the coop and I would make DH stop the power tools until she was done. Didn't want to freak her out the first few times she was actually laying her egg where she's supposed to. We've gotten 4 eggs in 5 days from her. So proud of my little girl.

3 people like this.
  7. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    jchny~ I am so sorry to hear about your little pig! I hope the others are doing well with their treatment. Your DD's 21st birthday celebration sounded like fun! Glad she is happy at IUPUI. Although it's an adjustment not to have her at home, as you know, it will be good for her to live on her own with a roommate. Part of the learning in college is learning to be independent, get along with roommates, budget, etc. She's a lucky girl!

pginsber~ Yes, Bonbon is my only Bantam. I needed a replacement buddy for Adeline since my Lavender needed to be put to sleep (hurt leg), so I made plans to get another orp at the same place where I got Adeline because I could drive there. Also, I knew I didn't have time to quarantine, so I hoped that a pullet coming from the same place would be less risky. chickenscratchpoultry.com Chocolate bantams were the only orp the same age that they had available in August. I was hesitant until I saw Bonbon strolling across the yard with great confidence and calmness. Her big brown eyes sealed the deal.

Kiniska~ Since you're our orp expert, I had heard that chocolate orps only come in bantam size, but bradselig said he had bid on some LF chocolate orp eggs. Do you know what the situation is? Maybe the LF ones aren't English?

FarkerFarms~ Sorry to hear about your Welsummer's visit to the dog yard! [​IMG] Re your question about adding to your flock-- if they should be two at a time. That's a good idea since chickens need a buddy and since you'd need to quarantine them, they'd be together. Since CHHICKENS didn't mention she had any, you might PM Little Amerauana Mom. Click on the MEMBERS link under my name to look at other members and their breeds in case you want to inquire since everyone doesn't always see every post.

8. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
  9. gunchief25

gunchief25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    Solsberry, Indiana
    Very nice coop set up...I like it. This is just me and I am just learning myself. I would move the food and water away from the nesting area. Any time my hens find anything near the nesting boxes it always seems to destract them. Than again they can be kind of fussy to change.

10. morrisonmanor

morrisonmanor Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2012
    quote name="browncow15" url="/t/730582/indiana-bycers-here/13020#post_11973999"][​IMG]

DH talked me into 12!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free[/quote]

Where did you get your chicks?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by