INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Tomorrow i have eggs due to hatch, i cant wait, been wanting some good quality RCBLs for a while now!

1 person likes this.
  2. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

LOL I wasn't going to add more to her, I was going to incubate them. I just want to see how many I'm looking at possibly hatching under her, before I decide to incubate. If a lot of hers are developing, I may just sell the silkie eggs. I don't have a lot of space for lots of chicks. :) I won't candle until next tues., that will be 7 days. Side note, I took her off the eggs tonight for a second, to let her poo because she hadn't all day. She just got mad and went back to the eggs without going to the bathroom. Do broodies poo everyday usually? She ate a little and drank some today. I wouldn't worry if she wasn't so young and inexperienced.

3. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    Aright thinning projects, got 2 splash silkies (looks like a pair, but still too young), and 2 blue silkies (maybe a pullet and not sure of other, but again too young to be sure). Wanting to just focus on partridge and whites. Also considering selling Rhodebars. Have one pullet that just started to lay (been acting funny today, so she is separate from the flock and won't sell until she is acting normal again), about 16 week old cockerel, about 12 week old pullet, and day old pullet all unrelated. (with more eggs scheduled to hatch in a week). Only reason I'm considering is I think I only want one auto sexing breed. Also can add 3 ccl cockerels that are going on a week old and a Swedish flower hen chick that is also going on a week old.

Let me know if you are interested in any.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  4. gunchief25

gunchief25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    Solsberry, Indiana

A dog in my yard stalking my chickens is a dead dog.

1 person likes this.
  5. Urbanmom519

Urbanmom519 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2013
    NW Indiana

our feed store one sells chicks in spring and swap meets in spring also, it's already late in the season otherwise I was going to try week old chicks but I was hoping to get young chickens that are tame instead of hatchery ones, I want them as pets to :) thanks for your advice

6. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    No problem. I won't tell anyone. Who woulda thunk you would ever be wrong. Not me. [​IMG] You are right about the plastic peepers. I had to peeper another one today.

I have been hanging both feeders and waterers since mine were in the brooder. after a couple of weeks I got tired of them pooping in them. If you hang them, they can't perch on them. When I had to cage my injured one I hung the old brooder feeder and waterer in the cage for her. They are smaller and made for chicks so it is perfect for one hen.
    Oh wow, lol. I really wish she was a Leghorn because that's what I thought I bought. She has red earlobes though. There is a slight tint to the eggs if you look at them in certain light. It is really hard to tell.

Hmm... that really sucks. I think if it was me, I would make sure the sheriff understood that the dog is destroying my property (chickens) and I think the dog is not going to live long, one way or the other. Law enforcement is supposed to keep the peace. If they think that you might kill the dog the next time, they should remove the dog to keep the peace. I would at least try to plant the seed. Not sure if I could shoot the dog. I think I would if I felt I had to.

Welcome to the thread. Glad you can read because you will get a lot of that on this thread, lol.[​IMG]

Congrats! [​IMG]Good luck with the daily egg.

7. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    I might be interested in a CCL rooster but I won't know for another 20 days or so. If someone else wants them first I understand. I think for now I'm going to pass on the rhodebars for the same reasons you are selling them.

8. danand

danand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Westport In
    Gun chief- had I seen the dog befor I went out I would've packed!!! And yes it would've been his last bird!!!

Thunder- this was my 3rd time with this dog and neighbor!!! And yes the sherif and animal control has been notified and I was told to shoot it as needed. I'd have never thought in my life that'd I'd have the guts to shoot a dog or animal for that matter. But after the carnage the previous 2 times and then finding BoB who wasn't quite dead yet and then the dog turning on me..... Yes I'll kill it if needed!!! I've always been one to nurse and care for animals but having "my" animals killed mercilessly can change that!! I didn't get called back(as promised) by the Animal control guy and I will be calling him till he's sick of me!!! And they should put it down after it went at me and the condition it was in anyhow!!! And because everybody was upset I only got 2 eggs today compared to 10-12!!!

9. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    Well, to my surprise, my red sexlink girl Flicker is circling the home page. :) I find it interesting that they would use her picture to link to a post about determining which hens are laying since she was actually late to mature and didn't even lay until her second summer.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. CRSelvey

CRSelvey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN
    Thank you! I really like the shingles too even if it was scary seeing him up there. We have them on our woodshed too and its just so pretty with snow on it in the winter. I ordered a rooster weathervane to go on top of the cupola today too. Its so close to being done!! I'm not sure Max wants to eat them, but he desperately wants in. Either way, it will need to be worked on when I get some more time.

Your garden sounds heavenly. I hope we can get there someday too! I bought the winter rye too to add in our garden. I'm hoping it helps out with breaking down our clay. We are going to work towards not tilling so much either once we get the beds in permanent locations. You should post pics!

I found the brooder bottle caps worked really well with my quarantined birds, once I figured out that I had to poke a hole in the top of the water bottle (actually the bottom, but it was upside down). It wasn't my finest moment, but it all worked out, lol. [​IMG] Here is a link to the caps I ordered http://shop.chickenfountain.com/. Am I going to get yelled at for posting that link? Its for the Chicken Fountain brooder bottle cap. I was the only one I found that would attach to regular water bottles. They came two in a package and worked better on some bottles than others. Two liter bottles were good and any of the smartwater water bottles worked well. I used craft wire for wiring flowers to hook it to the sides of the rabbit hutch and I used bungee cords to hook it to the dog crate (one in a loop at the bottom and one to hold the top of the bottle secure).

I'm so sorry! I hope they can get rid of the dog instead of you getting rid of chickens.

Hi and welcome! If you stick around here for more than a few days you will find enough chickens for your flock. Pretty soon you will know all about 20 other breeds that you will suddenly NEED to have. I'm not kidding [​IMG] .

Kiniska- Yes, goof ball husbands are pretty great!! If you are going to have one, its great if they can make you laugh.
    M2H- I will let him know that you like the pergola look also. I hope you are doing well and if you can't find BonBon, don't come looking in my coop. She's not there. [​IMG]

Thank you everyone for the coop comments. I love how its turning out and I can't wait to finish the paint and the run extension. My chickens will be very happy there as soon as I rework the roosts inside too. The poop boards seem like a great idea. They are currently messing up the paint job I did inside, lol. Good night everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by