INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Ok, I remember reading about an old disabled man laughing about his dog attacking someone's chickens here.  Was that you?  If so, sorry, it is hard to keep up with everyone here when you are new.  I will presume that you are the same member.  If animal control is not doing anything and they are suggesting that you shoot the dog, something is really wrong there. Is this in a town or city?  I would contact the mayor and see if they are OK with you shooting the neighbor's dog.  I usually contact officials in emails so I have a record of the response.  I wouldn't think that they would want to promote citizen's shooting other citizen's pets.  I'm not against it but it does present a peace problem.  Shooting the dog will likely cost you a lot of time and grief no matter what.  In this case, it might save some time and grief but I wouldn't count on it.  In the end, it looks like it is the neighbor, not the dog that is the problem.  I really hope you can get this situation fixed without shooting the dog but you have to do what you have to do.  Good luck!  :idunno  

where i live if someone else dog is on your propetry you can shot, right them and there, even if theyy were doing anything you still can as they are on your propetry. When someones dogs kept killing my chickens, we talked to him and he wouldnt listen. the only reason the dogs werent dead is because they were really sweet and just needed simeone better ro take care of them. So the sherieff qent diwn and told him exactly what i said above and i could of charged them for all the money i lost. I didnt still not sure why but i didnt.

Danad, I really hope you are taking pictures of your damaged property and murdered birds. I would so be taking this to court even after I shot the dog.

X2. i eould shot the dog and take them ti court. Make them pay for all the chickens you lost and say it was a treat towards your family.

where i live if someone else dog is on your propetry you can shot, right them and there, even if theyy were doing anything you still can as they are on your propetry. When someones dogs kept killing my chickens, we talked to him and he wouldnt listen. the only reason the dogs werent dead is because they were really sweet and just needed simeone better ro take care of them. So the sherieff qent diwn and told him exactly what i said above and i could of charged them for all the money i lost. I didnt still not sure why but i didnt.

Indiana law states that if a domestic pet is in your yard doing damage to property or livestock they can be put down.

Title 15. Agriculture and Animals. Article 20. Animal Control. Chapter 2. Livestock Killing Dogs.

15-20-2-1 Liability of owner or harborer
Sec. 1. If a dog kills or injures any livestock while the livestock is in the care, custody, and control of the livestock's owner or the owner's agent, the owner or harborer of the dog is liable to the owner of the livestock for all damages sustained, including reasonable attorney's fees and court costs.
CREDIT(S)
As added by P.L.2-2008, SEC.11.

15-20-2-2 Authority to kill dog in act of killing or injuring livestock
Sec. 2. A person who observes a dog in the act of killing or injuring livestock may kill the dog if the person has the consent of the person in possession of the real estate on which the dog is found.
CREDIT(S)

15-20-2-3 Losses and expenses chargeable to county; exemptions
Sec. 3. (a) The following losses and expenses are chargeable to the county in which an attack or exposure occurs:
(1) Damages, less compensation by insurance or otherwise, sustained by the owner of the following stock, fowl, or game killed, maimed, or damaged by a dog:
(A) Sheep.
(B) Cattle.
(C) Horses.
(D) Swine.
(E) Goats.
(F) Mules.
(G) Chickens.
(H) Geese.
(I) Turkeys.
(J) Ducks.
(K) Guineas.
(L) Tame rabbits.
(M) Game birds and game animals held in captivity under authority of a game breeder's license issued by the department of natural resources.
(N) Bison.
(O) Farm raised cervidae.
(P) Ratitae.
(Q) Camelidae.
(2) The expense of rabies post exposure prophylaxis that is incurred by any person who is bitten by or exposed to a dog known to have rabies.
(b) Damages are not chargeable to a county under this section for sheep except those claims in which individual damage exists or is shown.
CREDIT(S)

The poultry show in Bloomington is free.

Thanks guys, for the support!! I was told from the sherif that I can shoot, I just wish I'd been better prepared! Turns out it had been killing my other neighbors guinnies and the owners had thrown them on a burn pile! Oh and I live in the county( someone asked). We'll see what happens today when I start hounding animal control!!!

The poultry show in Bloomington is free.

Thanks guys, for the support!! I was told from the sherif that I can shoot, I just wish I'd been better prepared! Turns out it had been killing my other neighbors guinnies and the owners had thrown them on a burn pile! Oh and I live in the county( someone asked). We'll see what happens today when I start hounding animal control!!!

Dont let it cause you to give up raising chickens. Stand your ground.

Your garden sounds heavenly. I hope we can get there someday too! I bought the winter rye too to add in our garden. I'm hoping it helps out with breaking down our clay. We are going to work towards not tilling so much either once we get the beds in permanent locations. You should post pics!
Well, the weeds sure think it's a heavenly spot! If I ever get them all cleared out I'd consider taking pics -- until then, it ain't so pretty!
gig.gif

[COLOR=A52A2A]Urbanmom519~ Welcome to the Indiana Thread![/COLOR] Click on the INDIANA Members list at the bottom of this post to see who lives in your area. You can send them a PM (Personal Message) since everyone isn't always online. All of us are willing to help you though with any questions you have. 
[rule][COLOR=800080]icukeisha~[/COLOR] Congrats on your third egg! You can make an omelette. :)
[rule][COLOR=800000]I need advice! What do you do when you have flock members with different dietary needs?[/COLOR]
[COLOR=8B4513]With all the discussion about different foods, I need advice please:[/COLOR]
[COLOR=8B4513]My five hens are given layer food, access to oyster shell and grit, they free-range and get healthful treats like sunflower seeds, blueberries, grapes, etc.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=8B4513]Jersey doesn't lay real eggs (just imaginary ones)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=8B4513]Jersey, SLW, and EE just started molting this week. RIR and BR are either light-molting or not molting yet.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=8B4513]Do I still feed them layer food?[/COLOR]
[COLOR=8B4513]Meanwhile, my two 6 mos. old orps should be laying anytime. I recently took them off their chick food (even though the directions say to give it to them until they lay) since they're mixing with the hens, so they're eating the hen diet listed above. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=8B4513]It seems like because of the free ranging and healthful treats that the hens and the orps don't even eat much of the layer food.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=8B4513]If you had my flock what would you feed them?[/COLOR]
[COLOR=8B4513]Thank you for any input![/COLOR]
[rule][COLOR=333333]Originally Posted by danand 

Kab- that is so neat about your roo!! Might be a new thing "therapy chickens"!! Sure helps me[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333][COLOR=008080]kabhyper[/COLOR] & [COLOR=006400]danand[/COLOR]~ [COLOR=8B4513]Chickens have been great for my mental health, too (Don't listen to Old Salt's comments about that! haha)[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333][COLOR=8B4513]Therapy Chickens are new-- just Google and you'll find lots of interesting stories.[/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333][COLOR=A52A2A]Correction~[/COLOR][COLOR=8B4513] I meant to say that Therapy Chickens are [/COLOR][COLOR=8B4513]not[/COLOR][COLOR=8B4513] a new thing, (and the online stories are compelling.) [/COLOR]:) [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333][COLOR=008080]kabhyer~[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]Could you put water in a large coffee mug and wire the handle onto something nearby? Just a thought.[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[rule][COLOR=0000CD]danand~[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]I am sorry to hear that you and your flock had to go through that nightmare![/COLOR]  :hugs [COLOR=8B4513]Let us know what happens with animal control and your neighbor.[/COLOR] :mad:  
[rule][COLOR=CC6633]browncow~[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513] Love what your 3 year old said! [/COLOR]
[COLOR=8B4513]What does CE mean? Consumer Electronics, Civil Engineering, Chicken Education?[/COLOR]

If I had your flock I'd put them on an all flock or starter/grower feed and offer oyster shell for calcium supplement. You've got enough birds that aren't laying that they don't need the extra calcium in the layer feed. I have my flock on an all flock feed just for my rooster :)

Chicken Education :) that's funny! CE=continuing education I have to have 16 hours every 2 years to keep my vet tech liscence current and I missed last year so...

Back
Top Bottom