INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

My favorite pullet so far. She is a chesty girl and almost as big as the boys. I suspect she is the one leaving me eggs.

I have 8 silkie eggs sitting in the coop right now. My silkies are sucking at motherhood. I guess I'll have to incubate. It's a good thing they are cute because they are dumber than a bag of hammers.
Oh yeah and my silkie roo attacked me today. It was seriously the funniest thing I have ever seen. I stood perfectly still while being pummeled in the ankles by a tiny lint ball. He got picked up and put in his place. I was laughing the entire time. Man I love those little ding bats.

You got to give them a chance to go broody and actually hatch chicks, before saying they arent good moms. I have had broodies growl at me if i tried to mess with them, it is pretty funny

You got to give them a chance to go broody and actually hatch chicks, before saying they arent good moms. I have had broodies growl at me if i tried to mess with them, it is pretty funny
true. My silkie sort of eased in to it. I noticed every day she would spend a little more time on her nest until one night she just never left it and pecked at me when I tried to move her to the coop. I let her set on a clutch of golf balls for a night and once that was a success gave her some eggs I had saved. She has been an awesome mom. I'll have to post updated pics of the chicks later. They are getting so big! Besides skeeter the Sebright silkie mix. He's still the size of a day old chick lol

true. My silkie sort of eased in to it. I noticed every day she would spend a little more time on her nest until one night she just never left it and pecked at me when I tried to move her to the coop. I let her set on a clutch of golf balls for a night and once that was a success gave her some eggs I had saved. She has been an awesome mom. I'll have to post updated pics of the chicks later. They are getting so big! Besides skeeter the Sebright silkie mix. He's still the size of a day old chick lol

i would love to see updated pics. He's got to be about the size of a day old lf chick loL!

Lol they aren't broody. I will see if they lay a clutch, and sit, but I don't have high hopes. I will probably incubate. Unless you know someone who wants some bearded silkie eggs lol.

Lol they aren't broody. I will see if they lay a clutch, and sit, but I don't have high hopes. I will probably incubate. Unless you know someone who wants some bearded silkie eggs lol.

I figured they werent broody, as you didnt say they were. I'm sure if you posted on CL people would be interested as long as they werent really expensive. And jsut incase you decide to sell eggs a lot of people dont like buying eggs older than a week.

I figured they werent broody, as you didnt say they were. I'm sure if you posted on CL people would be interested as long as they werent really expensive. And jsut incase you decide to sell eggs a lot of people dont like buying eggs older than a
I'll see what they do. Lavender is on 13 right now, so depending on her hatch, I'll see what I want to incubate later. I have no idea what my silkies will produce since these are their first. I'm excited to see!! So I probably won't CL the eggs. I would rather someone on here have them, so I know they are going to a good home. If I don't incubate them myself.

Looks like I'll be buying more of the lavender cuckoo eggs. I had one hatch (Yeah!), but need more. For the first time I'm hoping it is a roo so I can get lavender hens (much easier to find) to breed to him. In the mean time, gotta buy more cuckoo eggs. I guess I should have candled before putting in lockdown. The other 5 looked like they were quitters around days 10-14.

I also just hatched around 45 quail to fill orders, 2 Birchen Marans that I threw in there just to see if they were fertile, and a naked neck/Marans cross egg is currently pipped. That's the last egg to go until Monday, then I have more Rhodebars, blrw, and barnyard mixes from my flock all going into lockdown.
imagine hoping for a rooster.

Question for those who incubate. Do you used a forced air incubator for hatching? I think I'm going to try and turn off my fan (and readjust the temps) for my next hatch. It seems like if they don't zip shortly after pipping, they get stuck and I have to help them.
I have thought of asking about this. I have not hatched as much as you by any means but I do have trouble keeping the humidity high enough during lockdown in the 1588, I'm adding water to the sponge about twice a day. I finally just put the eggs in a still air for lockdown. How did you plan to turn off the fan? I did not see an easy way with my 1588.

Quote: if the eggs had a cool day they could hatch later. It happened to us when we lost power for 4-6 hours. I lost some chicks and the rest were delayed about 12-18 hours.

imagine hoping for a rooster.   

I have thought of asking about this.  I have not hatched as much as you by any means but I do have trouble keeping the humidity high enough during lockdown in the 1588, I'm adding water to the sponge about twice a day.  I finally just put the eggs in a still air for lockdown.  How did you plan to turn off the fan?  I did not see an easy way with my 1588. 

if the eggs had a cool day they could hatch later.  It happened to us when we lost power for 4-6 hours.  I lost some chicks and the rest were delayed about 12-18 hours.
I know! It's like a sickness wishing for a roo!
I'm waiting for the last chick to get out of the egg and then will be cleaning incubator and setting it up as a still air for hatching. I added the fan to the incubator myself so it's powered separately than the heat.

Back
Top Bottom