INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN

1 person likes this.
  2. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    CPChix~ Welcome to the Indiana Thread! You have a nice flock variety. Feel free to ask questions, post photos, comment, and have fun!

jen214~ Welcome to the Indiana Thread! As everyone knows, I love my Jersey! Here's an excuse to post a photo of her. Luckily I took it the other day before she started molting because she now has no tails feathers and looks like a ball!
    [​IMG]
    browncow and Sally~ Thank you for your input about what to feed my mixed flock of layers, non-layers, fakers, molters, trouble-makers, malcontents, etc. I appreciate all of your advice and will be changing their diet on Monday.
    UrbanChickens~ Many of us have checked out Chicken books our area libraries (they have lots) and it's also helpful to buy at least one book as a reference at home. You'll find there are differences in opinions about many chicken issues, but a basic book about raising chickens is handy to have. Of course, BYCers are great resources, too!!
    Originally Posted by vickichicki [​IMG]
    For all of you folks that are heading to the poultry show Saturday, I am very jelly [​IMG]
    If anyone happens to see a stunning blue, splash or mottled (although I don't think splash and mottled qualify for show stuff I heard) bantam cochin rooster and you don't live super far from me with some spare change in your pocket it would be appreciated :D
    Any left over girls work too [​IMG]

vickichicki~ We'll probably arrive in time for the leftovers! We have things to take care of before we leave town in the morning, and we'll lose an hour changing time zones, so we'll arrive when they are sweeping up the chicken poop. Oh well, we're going to Bloomington to visit our daughter. [​IMG] I had forgotten that our daughter in Indy is leaving for SanFran tomorrow (why do our kids get vacations and we don't?!), so I'm not sure if we're going to Indy for the coop tour. We're just going to play it by ear, I guess.
    Quinstar posted:
    With winter approaching does anyone cover the top of their enclosed runs? I was thinking of just buying some clear plastic corrugated roofing to throw on the top of the run for the winter to give them a bit more covered space. Thoughts?
    Quinstar~ That's exactly what I have on my coop/run and I like that it allows natural light in. Old Salt said that his chickens like snow, but mine absolutely hated it. I can't blame them-- who would want to walk barefooted on snow!

danad~ I just can't believe that animal control person! You should check out the Humane Society's Indiana page. You said that the dog look emaciated-- you can report neglect and you could get some advice, too. http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/abuse_neglect/tips/cruelty_action.html You are doing the right thing by documenting as much as you can and not backing down.

3. exop

exop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Sounds very interesting, indeed. I am in that ballpark, throw in 15 turkeys.

Wish there was any chance of finding organic cleanings in this area. I am near Lafayette and buy organic feed from the mill down in Lebanon, but although they have seed cleaning equipment there it's all earmarked for use with conventional crops. Found this out when I complained about a batch of shell corn which had lumps of dirt (and burdock heads) in it... was told they were sorry, it came to them that way, and they didn't have seed cleaning equipment for the organic stuff

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  4. exop

exop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    With this thread moving at a rate of knots it may be almost futile to post here. But I am overladen with unwanted cockerels, roosters and even some unwanted POL (I hope) pullets. Every 2 weeks I keep earnestly trying to make myself get ready (ie. make some cages up) and take them to the Veedersburg sale barn... and every two weeks there is absolutely no time whatsoever to do this. I have tried putting them on Craigslist and managed in this way to shed an Andalusian. But I need to find homes (or hungry new owners) for a few more. To wit:

* A batch of awful Crevecoeur pullets (McMurray) who look like white crested black polish dipped in ink. I say awful because they are unrecognizable as Crevecoeurs, but they are very, very sweet birds, I think they must be something like 95% WC Black Polish based on their temperament alone. Quiet, friendly, like to stand around looking cute. Big round, spreading crests. 21 weeks old this weekend.

* White faced Black Spanish. A 19 week old cockerel, beautiful white face (so he is fun to look at) but I feel his legs are a little too short for the breed. Also a 3 month old cockerel and pullet, and a 4 month old cockerel. The 4 month old has the distinction of being the natural born child of a broody Spanish (Spanish are supposedly "non broody" - this one found an abandoned, half collapsed dog house and hatched two chicks out of a clutch of seven eggs in a pile of rubble and broken wood. Then brought them to my back doorstep)

* White Crested Black Polish. 2 cockerels, 23 weeks old. One has a big, visible V comb, the other has almost no comb, so there's something for everybody. Although both birds are trying to grow new crest feathers, each has a bald spot on the back of the head from unknown assailants. They should start to look good for you a very short while after they move in to their new home. Have a one year old hen to make up an unrelated breeding pair, if that is what you are looking for.

* Beautiful BBR Cubalayas - 19 weeks old, Duane Urch. Two nice looking boys and one who is also nice looking, but who lost a toe in his second week of life to an angry silkie mother in an adjacent pen. I feel guilty about that and would like to find him a nice home where he can be the dominant rooster. Cubalayas tend to be easy on the hens and like to have a "best girlfriend" (they're almost monogamous) that they drag around with them, trying to show her a good time (dust baths, tasty food, shady bushes, etc).

* one Buckeye rooster, he is 2 1/2 years old and from ALBC stock, from Jeannette Beranger. A sweet boy, maybe not the biggest or the best but not outrageously small either, very nice personality, color.

* a couple of Houdan cockerels (Urch again), 19 weeks old. Look like they're developing very shapely white mottles on their feathers. Long crests. But not for me. I feel they are a little slender and leggy. Should be fine if you just want a Houdan with attractively mottled feathers. Female Houdans available also, from a different stock with a more solid build.

If anyone is interested in birds, please PM me, I doubt I'd be able to find responses in the whitewater that is the INDIANA BYC'ers HERE thread. I live in Warren county, near big pine creek.

Best regards - exop

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  5. gingergma

gingergma New Egg

Sep 18, 2013
    Help me it is late and I can not fall asleep.

6. toodlesmom

toodlesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2013
    According to the latest issue of 'Your Chickens' magazine, playing classical music in the coop can increase egg size by 19%. It's worth a try. Can't hurt; might help. A nice bit of Mozart would do anyone some good!

7. vickichicki

vickichicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana

I am sorry you are having issues with finding homes for your roosters. As you have more unusual breeds have you tried posting to other CLs like Indianapolis one or Illinois one?
    There are many of us on here who do process birds which seems to happen to a lot of the excess roosters on here. I assume you do not process yourself?

I am going to google some of them and have a good look at them see if anything can work for me. If you had a bantam cochin rooster I would defiantly be all over that.

Also, while the thread moves at an alarming rate some days, for the post part, they are all read by several members and 95% that require feedback/ answers will be answered. Even when I am behind I still read all the postings. Hate to miss something important or leaving someone hanging with an unanswered question.

Also Welcome to the Indiana thread :D

1 person likes this.
  8. vickichicki

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana

Naturally it was a slow night. There are a lot of night owls on here normally. Had many conversations at 3am here.
    Nothing more amusing than having the DH come in and ask me what I am doing at that time in the morning, telling him talking to my chicken folks, having him roll eyes and walk off :D

9. vickichicki

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana

Well Pbird said she would have a look out for me. Which is much appreciated. If I find nothing after those shows I am going to call it quits on finding a rooster for the year and have a go at the incubation thing next year.
    Hope you enjoy your trip to Bloomington today!

10. Kiniska

Kiniska Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2012
    English, Indiana
    She is a black Orpington.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by