INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Kiniska

Kiniska Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2012
    English, Indiana
    M2H, Bonbon is super cute. I am thinking of naming her auntie, just haven't decided what yet. :)

2. vickichicki

vickichicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Recently acquired an upright commercial style fridge and it has quit working. So.. I think I am going to be converting it to an incubator for next year. I will have to remove the fabulous Coke Cola signage from the front and sides. It has the fans built into it already, although they are located close to the top and they may require relocating to provide better air circulation.
    Hoping to document what I do and I can link a page later on.

Figured as soon as I get one built all the Cochins will go broody and it won't be needed. Which is fine and dandy by me :D

1 person likes this.
  3. exop

exop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Thanks for the welcome, vickichicki. Back when I discovered the thread, last night that is, 2 new pages were generated for each page I read through.

I do process my roosters if I feel they have no redeeming qualities... the ones I am trying to rehome are the nice or interesting ones and the rare breeds. I am also hampered somewhat in that any chicken I try to turn into food is likely to be eaten by me alone as I have to deal with some irrationally squeamish family members.

I travel to Lebanon often, happy to drop off birds there (arguably a more convenient, central location than Warren County)!

Best - exop

4. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    Does anyone know if the chickens will go back in the coop when it gets cold? Or when it rains? Or combinations of that? Ours quit sleeping in the coop last June, and have not slept in their since. They do go in for the nest boxes and food, but rarely otherwise.

They were out in the cold drizzle last night. They don't seem bothered by it all, just wondering if it is a problem. They seem to love roosting in the run, under the stars. Or cold rain. Birdbrains, indeed!

If there were some sort of problem in the coop, I can't find anything.

5. vickichicki

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana

When the times comes they will huddle together in the coop... or not... :D
    My turkey slept outside in the most exposed corner even during the snow.

As long as they have access to somewhere warm and snuggly they will use it if needed.

6. vickichicki

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana

I did google some of the breeds as I am not familiar with them. The Houdans are stunning little things. I am quite partial to the mottled colouring. I don't think any of them will work for me unfortunately. Well more not work for my DH more like.

There is a great BST (Buy, sell, trade) forum. Have you tried there? Although a lot of times someone really wants them but they need to be shipped.

I understand about the squimish factor of eating your own birds. I know a few people who end up eating by themselves as the rest of the family couldn't bare to eat 'Frankie.. Matilda.. etc'.

The travelling a little sure would help. Bradselig often travels and offers a chicken express across Indiana for us all.
    I hope someone can offer them a home or at least help you determine what can be done with them.

7. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    mine went thru a spell last winter where they insisted on perching on the porch. At the time I only had five so it wasnt a horribly big deal but they would sit out there and some times be covered in snow when I'd get up. They didn't seem to care at all. I carried them back to the coop each night (that I remembered or wasn't just too tired to mess with it) and they did eventually give up the porch.

8. Urbanmom519

Urbanmom519 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I love how everyone is so helpful, I have located some Araucanas, anyone familiar with this breed, my brooder is ready, coop is coming due to arrive Wednesday, they are week old so I shouldn't need it yet, im getting antsy and excited! reviews on that breed are great but ive read they are rare, :)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  9. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    If you gotta have organic, non-GMO, you gotta pay the freight. What is it now, about $30 per 50#?

None of the grain raised around here would qualify. None of what I'm talking about would come even close.

John

10. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    That happened to me last night and I had to get up early to let the chickens out. I'm tired and I'm supposed to be getting ready to go to Bloomington, but I had to look at this thread again! Addicted to chickens. Addicted to this thread!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by