INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Recently acquired an upright commercial style fridge and it has quit working. So.. I think I am going to be converting it to an incubator for next year. I will have to remove the fabulous Coke Cola signage from the front and sides. It has the fans built into it already, although they are located close to the top and they may require relocating to provide better air circulation.
Hoping to document what I do and I can link a page later on.

Figured as soon as I get one built all the Cochins will go broody and it won't be needed. Which is fine and dandy by me :D

There are many of us on here who do process birds which seems to happen to a lot of the excess roosters on here. I assume you do not process yourself?

Also, while the thread moves at an alarming rate some days, for the post part, they are all read by several members and 95% that require feedback/ answers will be answered. Even when I am behind I still read all the postings. Hate to miss something important or leaving someone hanging with an unanswered question.

Also Welcome to the Indiana thread
big_smile.png

Thanks for the welcome, vickichicki. Back when I discovered the thread, last night that is, 2 new pages were generated for each page I read through.

I do process my roosters if I feel they have no redeeming qualities... the ones I am trying to rehome are the nice or interesting ones and the rare breeds. I am also hampered somewhat in that any chicken I try to turn into food is likely to be eaten by me alone as I have to deal with some irrationally squeamish family members.

I travel to Lebanon often, happy to drop off birds there (arguably a more convenient, central location than Warren County)!

Best - exop

Does anyone know if the chickens will go back in the coop when it gets cold? Or when it rains? Or combinations of that? Ours quit sleeping in the coop last June, and have not slept in their since. They do go in for the nest boxes and food, but rarely otherwise.

They were out in the cold drizzle last night. They don't seem bothered by it all, just wondering if it is a problem. They seem to love roosting in the run, under the stars. Or cold rain. Birdbrains, indeed!

If there were some sort of problem in the coop, I can't find anything.

Does anyone know if the chickens will go back in the coop when it gets cold?  Or when it rains?  Or combinations of that?   Ours quit sleeping in the coop last June, and have not slept in their since.  They do go in for the nest boxes and food, but rarely otherwise. 

They were out in the cold drizzle last night.  They don't seem bothered by it all, just wondering if it is a problem.   They seem to love roosting in the run, under the stars.  Or cold rain.  Birdbrains, indeed!

If there were some sort of problem in the coop, I can't find anything.

When the times comes they will huddle together in the coop... or not... :D
My turkey slept outside in the most exposed corner even during the snow.

As long as they have access to somewhere warm and snuggly they will use it if needed.

Thanks for the welcome, vickichicki.  Back when I discovered the thread, last night that is, 2 new pages were generated for each page I read through.

I do process my roosters if I feel they have no redeeming qualities... the ones I am trying to rehome are the nice or interesting ones and the rare breeds. I am also hampered somewhat in that any chicken I try to turn into food is likely to be eaten by me alone as I have to deal with some irrationally squeamish family members.

I travel to Lebanon often, happy to drop off birds there  (arguably a more convenient, central location than Warren County)!

Best - exop

I did google some of the breeds as I am not familiar with them. The Houdans are stunning little things. I am quite partial to the mottled colouring. I don't think any of them will work for me unfortunately. Well more not work for my DH more like.

There is a great BST (Buy, sell, trade) forum. Have you tried there? Although a lot of times someone really wants them but they need to be shipped.

I understand about the squimish factor of eating your own birds. I know a few people who end up eating by themselves as the rest of the family couldn't bare to eat 'Frankie.. Matilda.. etc'.

The travelling a little sure would help. Bradselig often travels and offers a chicken express across Indiana for us all.
I hope someone can offer them a home or at least help you determine what can be done with them.

When the times comes they will huddle together in the coop... or not... :D
My turkey slept outside in the most exposed corner even during the snow.

As long as they have access to somewhere warm and snuggly they will use it if needed.
mine went thru a spell last winter where they insisted on perching on the porch. At the time I only had five so it wasnt a horribly big deal but they would sit out there and some times be covered in snow when I'd get up. They didn't seem to care at all. I carried them back to the coop each night (that I remembered or wasn't just too tired to mess with it) and they did eventually give up the porch.

I love how everyone is so helpful, I have located some Araucanas, anyone familiar with this breed, my brooder is ready, coop is coming due to arrive Wednesday, they are week old so I shouldn't need it yet, im getting antsy and excited! reviews on that breed are great but ive read they are rare, :)

Last edited:
Sounds very interesting, indeed. I am in that ballpark, throw in 15 turkeys.

Wish there was any chance of finding organic cleanings in this area. I am near Lafayette and buy organic feed from the mill down in Lebanon, but although they have seed cleaning equipment there it's all earmarked for use with conventional crops. Found this out when I complained about a batch of shell corn which had lumps of dirt (and burdock heads) in it... was told they were sorry, it came to them that way, and they didn't have seed cleaning equipment for the organic stuff
If you gotta have organic, non-GMO, you gotta pay the freight. What is it now, about $30 per 50#?

None of the grain raised around here would qualify. None of what I'm talking about would come even close.

John

Back
Top Bottom