INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

So watching the chicks in the spare bedroom making sure the most recent hatched chicks would be ok with them and I swear I saw and heard a legbar cockerel that is almost a week old try to crow! Funniest thing ever.

Big r is nice. Mine doesn't have a huge poultry section for supplies, but always cheaper than TSC. They sell pretty much everything, food, clothes, pet supplies, guns, plumbing, etc. I like it even though I've had issues with them not willing to accept Nutrena coupons that are emailed to me. I did get a $25 gift card after complaining when they refused to take them the second time even though they have papers by the feed telling you to sign up for a newsletter and coupons.

I have thought of asking about this. I have not hatched as much as you by any means but I do have trouble keeping the humidity high enough during lockdown in the 1588, I'm adding water to the sponge about twice a day. I finally just put the eggs in a still air for lockdown. How did you plan to turn off the fan? I did not see an easy way with my 1588.
There will be a pair of wires going to the fan. Cut one, strip back a bit of insulation on each end and insert a small on/off toggle switch between the break. You can use crimp on spade connectors or just solder the wires to the 2 terminals on the switch. Then you can turn the fan on or off. You can leave the switch to dangle on the wires or add extensions to the wire and mount it on the box so the fan can be controlled from the outside.

John

Last edited:
30 some years ago when I first had chickens, I went to a feed/elevator. They had cleanings (the stuff that was the result of running grain through the seed cleaning apparatus at the mill). They gave it to me for free. I got a pickup truck load and brought it home and fed my chickens for free. It consisted of weed seeds, broken corn and soybean kernels, chaff, dust. I threw a scoop shovel or two out into the chicken yard every day. The chickens loved it and ate very little regular feed. I brought my dad a truckload for his chickens.

I recently went back and asked about it They don't do seed cleaning anymore.

I checked around and found a feed mill in Frankfort that does seed cleaning and have the cleanings available. Nowadays, they sell it to cattle farmers for feed. It is $180 per ton. That would make 40 50# bags, costing $4.50 per bag.

I found a farmer near me that runs his grain through a dryer. The dryer also does a minor type of seed cleaning, dropping out big pieces (rocks, cob) and small pieces (crushed kernels). He said I could have all the "smalls" that I wanted. I'm gonna take a trailer over there with a tarp liner and see just what comes out.

I won't know about the quality of either until harvest time. I'll post my findings then.

This is not something someone with 5 birds would be interested in. Someone with 50 or 200 likely will find this interesting.

John

Last edited:
browncow~ What does CE mean? Consumer Electronics, Civil Engineering, Chicken Education?
browncow posted: Chicken Education
smile.png
that's funny! CE=continuing education I have to have 16 hours every 2 years to keep my vet tech liscence current and I missed last year so...

browncow~ I think I accidentally invented a new excuse for enabling chicken addicts! Just tell your DH, DW, or SO that you will be gone to catch up on CE when you actually are going chicken shopping (Well, that's educational!)
tongue.png

Urbanmom~ Just speaking from personal experience, our first chicken purchase a year ago spring was 6 RIR pullet chicks, which turned out to be 1 pullet and 5 cockerels! (Rural King offered both straight run and pullets). I traded with other people and I'm glad to now have one hen each of 7 different breeds.
CRSelvey posted: I don't know if I will get to go to the poultry show, but we are trying to figure out the logistics for going to the game as well. My MIL called and offered us free tickets if we can get them from her and make it back in time for the game. I hope you have a great time visiting your daughter.
Cheryl, Here's my daughter, Lauren, (on the right) with her roommate at a recent game with a secret admirer-- Whaaaat? That's what we thought when she texted us the photo with Tom Crean.

CRSelvey posted: If you can't find BonBon, don't come looking in my coop. She's not there.

Bonbon was seen escaping from CRSelvey's clutches!
CRSelvey posted: This is what happened the last time I went somewhere and left the kids at home:

They lived and I only had to soak that dress for about a week.
Those beautiful children look so abused and unhappy!

Back
Top Bottom