1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. danand

danand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Westport In
    Ok here's today's update!! The animal control guy did cal me back!! Took me leaving 2 messages! First of all......he's an idiot!!!! He gave them a written warning and told them that next time he would fine them $100!!! He did not take the dog, kill the dog!!! I have once again been told to "take care of it" if the situation arises again!!! Sometime next week I will be filing a small claim against them( because they don't take this seriously) and will be seeing for lost chicken and loss of revenue from eggs, as well as roosters !!! Also to have them repay the $75 filing fee!!! He said he had only been notified 2 times and this not rue this is number 3. I will be documenting all of this for the claim. And I also told him that my other neighbor( who lives next to the culprit) had been losing guinnies and had found them on the culprits burn pile!!! AND.... I reminded him that the dog had CAME at me and he said the dog was friendly to him!!!! I'm soooo mad!!!!! So now I have a chicken friend who is bring me a large animal trap to keep out!! And my chicken have to be couped up because they can't control their dog!! And did I mention that the dodg was emaciated??? And looked awful!! Ok, don't ranting! Thanks for listening.

On a better note. CRSelvy- loved , loved the pic of the kids....soooo fun!!!

Welcome to all the new people

2. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    Sounds like a good amount of space for the run. At least 10 square feet per chicken is what I've learned, for the run. At least 3.5 sq feet per chicken for the coop also. The chickens don't need a nest box each, they use it like we use a bathroom. 1 bathroom for every 2-3 people/chickens.

3. Too Fast

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    We are very jelly also lol.

4. Too Fast

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    Yes this must be the fastest moving thread on the internet. Wait a day or two, and you will have 200+ posts to catch up on! Welcome!

5. EmSteele

EmSteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Pretty sure I'm going kindly suggest to Husband that I'd like to tarp the part of our run closest to the coop door. Ours is completely enclosed due to the inbred cat infestation living across the street so we'll just have to toss a tarp over the chicken wire and tie down. I had to work all day in this nasty weather so I haven't gotten my chicken fix yet :-(

I started here in April and thought SOME of you (no names *cough, Old Salt, cough* JUST KIDDING) were crazy for the way you treat your birds...chickens, as pets?!?! No, no. Chickens are for eggs and meat only!.... yyyeeeaaaaahhhh, that lasted all of 2 minutes haha! Now I need a way to keep my girls water thawed?! Can't have my babies going without!

Does anyone else get giddy at the sight of Buff Orpingtons? My Cheesecake is AMAZING! Easily my favorite (don't tell Lemon-Pepper)

Enough chicken rambling (you people are the only ones that GET me).

6. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    I posted #10,000 on 7/18/13.[​IMG]
    Since then, 4175 messages have been posted.[​IMG]

That's 67 per day.[​IMG]

John[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. bradselig

bradselig Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    Looks like I'll be buying more of the lavender cuckoo eggs. I had one hatch (Yeah!), but need more. For the first time I'm hoping it is a roo so I can get lavender hens (much easier to find) to breed to him. In the mean time, gotta buy more cuckoo eggs. I guess I should have candled before putting in lockdown. The other 5 looked like they were quitters around days 10-14.

I also just hatched around 45 quail to fill orders, 2 Birchen Marans that I threw in there just to see if they were fertile, and a naked neck/Marans cross egg is currently pipped. That's the last egg to go until Monday, then I have more Rhodebars, blrw, and barnyard mixes from my flock all going into lockdown.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  8. bradselig

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    Question for those who incubate. Do you used a forced air incubator for hatching? I think I'm going to try and turn off my fan (and readjust the temps) for my next hatch. It seems like if they don't zip shortly after pipping, they get stuck and I have to help them.

9. bradselig

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    yes, I am being good. Only getting chicks or eggs from breeds I already have. Well except for the modern game bantams I bought several weeks ago. They should be shipping in about another week!

welcome to both of you! In my signature you will find a link to our members page. You will find a bunch of helpful links as well as our members list. If you would like to be added to our list, please feel free to send me your info and I'll get you on there.

10. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    I'm so sorry to hear of the poor hatch.[​IMG]

I was hoping you would get better results. The picture on ebay was awesome and I was looking forward to when you would have excess birds to sell. Rats!

On the other hand, it saves me some money.[​IMG]

John

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by