INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. DarthLayer

DarthLayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    Indiana

Welcome to both! This thread is very fast moving but full of info! Glad you joined :)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  2. vickichicki

vickichicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    That would be awesome. I would love a few more girls too (another 4 would be great) their colours can be whatever, although a variety not one colour for all unless they were all splash or mottled.
    As for the roo, I would I would love to find another guy like you found for me. Not sure what is silly priced for birds... No more than $20 for the rooster I guess and the girls... well.. I can part with $60ish for them all.

Will shoot you my phone number again maybe I can give you a call.

Many thanks :D

3. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana

4. Urbanmom519

Urbanmom519 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Thanks, and if my entire hatch is only boys, I'll figure out something else to give you. If a pet is shot, I can see that night's activity being a dumping over a bridge but landing on the dry ground near the running water to dispose of the now dead pet. [​IMG] Is this the one? If so not counting the nesting boxes you have between 4 and 5 sq ft of coop flooring. I would say 4 full size chickens is a max. I also recommend you raise it off the ground so the slide out tray does not get stuck and you don't have to bend down daily when you empty the tray. Two roosting bars from front to back would be 50 inches of roosting space so 5 birds means an average of 10 inches per bird but it would be a super tight fit to get 3 full size hens in 25 inches. If the bars go from side to side, then you would have almost 60 inches of roosting space and enough roosts for 4-6 full size hens but the 5 sq ft really limits you for winter activity. and the dropping dray would fill up rather quickly. But the good news is that this winter you will only have partially grown hens so you can get a few extra in case a rooster shows up. But before next winter you would need to make sure there was space for the full size hens. I would also consider covering the run with a tarp or solid roofing to provide a place to go out even in the snowy weather. Sometimes chickens just need to have some space between each other. Like us humans there is cabin fever. [/quote yes that's the one, and I did buy some bigger posts to stand out of the ground about 2ft, with 2 in ground, I was going it was a good coop to buy another one I planned on making my flock larger if my neighbors dont mind :) so then I guess I'll just get 4 chicks, I made a brooder out of a set of kitchen cabinets I had, I Upcycle old furniture as a side business, used some of the ideas on here turned out great! thanks for all your help! I'm sure I'll be needing allot more once I get my little ones!!!

5. Quinstar

Quinstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Indiana
    With winter approaching does anyone cover the top of their enclosed runs? I was thinking of just buying some clear plastic corrugated roofing to throw on the top of the run for the winter to give them a bit more covered space.

Thoughts?

6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I could post some pics of my setup, depending on how soon you are wanting to see them. I have brooders, grow out pens, breeder pens, conditioning cages, and pens where i keep extras. Could probably get pics in 1-2 weeks.

1 person likes this.
  7. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I dont. IF mine are cold or dont like the weather, i tell them they can just stay inside lol.

8. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana

9. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Wouldn't hurt. Generally speaking, they don't need it. If they don't like it outside, they can go back inside. They seem to enjoy walking around on snow. Freezing rain, not so much. Most of mine like to run around outside in light to medium rain. When it starts to pour down, the chickens go inside. The ducks stay outside. The guineas switch hit; sometimes in, sometimes out.

Unfrozen water is the big deal for winter. They will eat snow, but it burns up a lot of energy, so they need even more food. You could live on eating snow, but it ain't recommended.

Pipped, what are your recommendations on roof and water for the winter?

John

10. gunchief25

gunchief25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    Solsberry, Indiana

:welcome

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by