1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Thank you, my delight turned to horror when I cracked the one. I really hope I didn't mess something up. Here is my girl patiently waiting.... [​IMG]

2. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    I agree with an earlier post by Too Fast. Replace it now. Better late than not at all. Anode is much cheaper than water heater.

Menards has this one: http://www.menards.com/main/plumbin...whole-house-filter-system/p-136434-c-8685.htm

• Reduces: Fine Sediment, Dirt, Rust Particles , Chlorine Taste and Odor
    • Micron size: 5
    • Filter life: 15,000 gallons or 3 months

The filters appear to have activated carbon to remove nasty smells and tastes.

It uses the standard 10" filters, so you can use anything available.

Here is my setup.
    [​IMG]

Note the spare filter elements sitting on the cigar boxes.
    [​IMG]
    I have a water softener. Water comes from the well pump to the pressure tank to the water softener to the house.

I rearranged the hoses so that the water comes from the pressure tank to the sediment filter to the water softener to the house.

That way sediment free water goes to the water softener.

You can see how red it is from filtering out rust particles. 1 or 5 micron filters work best. I plan to try some with the carbon to see if it improves the taste/smell of our water.

It has a twist knob at the top to shut off the water flow for changing filters.

John

Yes. I have used the string filter in mine. The 1 or 5 micron filters work even better. They're about the same cost. Try one next time you change filter elements.

John

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN

It definitely isn't for everyone. My partner loves it, and is always ready to go check on his 'girls'. They don't bother him at all. Me....not so into it.[​IMG]

I stick with the girls I know.[​IMG] He can handle the honey, I'll handle the eggs. As far as top bar goes, the reasons you post are the reasons he wants them. Easier on the bees and the beekeeper. The smaller honey amount doesn't bother him at all. We should still get all the honey we can handle and then some.

1 person likes this.
  4. browncow posted: Stupid question, I can usually figure out the breed abbreviations but what is a BCM ?

browncow~ Indiana Thread motto: "No question is a dumb question." Intelligent people ask questions!

Here are two BYC acronym lists:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/acronym-list-for-byc
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/byc-index-of-abbreviations

barb s~ Is your DF a Dear Friend or Dear Father?

I also ran across this interesting list of terms:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...of-common-terms-for-raising-backyard-chickens
    Originally Posted by pginsber
    Two of the chicks have brown stripes on their heads and chipmunk stripes on their backs.
    [​IMG]

pginsber~ Do not let Old Salt near the ones that resemble chipmunks! His killer instincts might take over.
    Btw~ Your photos are wonderful. The chicks look so fuzzy and sweet.

5. Old Salt 1945

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    [​IMG]

I did the bee thing 30+ years ago. I had 3 or 4 hives.

I bought one box of bees through the mail and collected the rest myself from swarms.

I collected one swarm downtown Indianapolis during lunch hour while wearing a business suit. I cut off the tree branch with my pocket knife and placed it in a cardboard box I got from a business nearby. I folded the box shut and put it opening-down in the back of my pickup truck. I parked back in the parking garage. When I got back to work, I mused with my co-workers about what would happen if a thief tried to steal the box from the truck.

The longer I had them, the meaner they got. When dealing with bees, you never think of individual bees, unless the individual has managed to get inside the veil with you. At that point, you think ONLY about that individual. Once, I had so many inside the veil that I ran and ripped off the veil. They chased me all the way back to the house, about 800 feet. Fortunately, it was upwind or I wouldn't have been able to stay ahead of them. Now I would be able to run (slowly) maybe 80 feet.

One night, I went out after dark (they won't fly at night) and pulled all the comb frames out and piled them up on the truck's tailgate brushing off the bees from the combs, pant legs, gloves, etc.

I broke up the combs and put them in a pressure cooker pot that held 3 or 4 gallons and warmed it up on the stove. I strained off the crud consisting of larvae, form wires, cocoons, etc. Then I skimmed off the beeswax. I then poured the remaining honey into quart and pint jars.

That supplied my extended family with honey for years.

It was fun until they got mean. I still have some of the bee stuff laying around in the basement and barn if someone wants it.

John

1 person likes this.
  6. barb s

barb s Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2013
    Columbia City area
    My DF is my Dear Fiancee. He's the greatest.

7. gunchief25

gunchief25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    Solsberry, Indiana
    Quote:Welcome!!!

8. Old Salt 1945

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Howdy. Welcome to the chicken gabfest.

Brad Selig lives somewhere near Ft. Wayne. He has quality birds. I don't know whether he has anything available right now. If he doesn't, he will probably be able to direct you.

John

9. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Overrun With Chickens

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    We've also considered top bar hives. My husband was going to build one but hasn't yet. Studying, I found that the top bars seem to be a more "natural" way for bees and also allows them to build their own comb which also keeps mites from invading quite so easily.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. toodlesmom~ IMO~ I enjoy different breeds' personality traits. Although my RIR is high-strung, nosey, and noisy, she isn't aggressive toward my two orps who have the opposite traits. Since I have limited space like you, I embrace diversity. [​IMG]
    jchny~ Wow, you went from bees being one of your most feared insects to actually thinking about raising them! As I've mentioned before, this thread does open the mind to new ways of thinking. One of my sisters is looking into raising them and I gave her a recent copy of Time magazine that had a cover story about bees. Some of the info can be read here:
    http://science.time.com/2013/08/09/the-trouble-with-beekeeping-in-the-anthropocene/ Thanks for everyone's input about bees. It's helpful to read about different experiences. I'm going to send everyone's stories to my sister.
    czumm976~ Welcome to the Indiana Thread! Please go to page 1522, post 15214 for Thread Info including member locations.
    wheezy~ You are so lucky! You get to run a home for new mothers. The hens and babies are so sweet!!
    kabhyper~ Good luck with hatch day, and don't beat yourself up over the egg. Let us know how is goes.

pipd~ Lucky to avoid the hawk. I've heard that Cooper's hawks are more aggressive. I'm no expert, though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by