Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom True BYC Addict

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    PS: It amazes me that if you look at some of the top bar hive videos, these guys are out there with bar arms working with the bees!

We once visited some folks that showed us their 3 top bar hives. She said that each of the colonies had their own personality. One of hers were "mean" and the others were more docile which I thought was very interesting.
  2. FarkerFarms

FarkerFarms Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    Lebanon, Indiana
    I'm definitely interested in your bee keeping wares if you are sure you are not going to get back into that hobby :)
  3. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Come on over and we'll dig it out. We were gonna do it when you were here for Lora's easter eggers, but forgot.

I probably have most of what you will need, even scrap lumber that can be used to make the boxes to hold the frames.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  4. PeacefulWalls

PeacefulWalls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    Goshen, Indiana
    [​IMG] I might know some people who are super stubborn, too! I was truly hoping we'd enjoy it more. Perhaps if we didn't have, oh, say, a ton of chickens, rabbits, alpacas, and ducks and the chores to go with them we might have felt like spending more time with the colonies of 20,000+ other tiny livestock!! I also had read some about the topbar hives. I think a past issue of Mother Earth News had an article about it. I was very intrigued and had thought about trying it as well. I think, too, it may be a bit easier to manage. You certainly wouldn't have to be lifting supers filled with 50 lbs. of honey off the top of the hive to check something in the bottom of it -- definitely easier on the back! Go for it and try to find a mentor if possible. One book, among others, that I pretty much read cover to cover was The Backyard Beekeeper by Kim Flottum. You might want to see if your library has it. The 2010 edition is revised & updated.
  5. barb s

barb s Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2013
    Columbia City area
  6. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Thank you. It's fun, but nerve wracking all at the same time.
  7. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

All this bee talk would make my husband swell up just reading it. LOL. Can anyone tell me if I should put a heat lamp over the brooder with Lavender and the chicks when they hatch? It
    s been pretty chilly at night. I know she supplies most of the heat, but what about when they are running around the brooder? Also is there any way of telling, by her behavior, if the hatch has started under her yet? Just curious, thanks!
  8. PeacefulWalls

May 7, 2013
    Goshen, Indiana
    I'm starting to there anything you haven't tried?!? Perhaps we should start a contest to see who can be the first person to find something John hasn't done in his lifetime! [​IMG]
    1 person likes this.
  9. pginsber

pginsber Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    When I would reach under my broody, she didn't bite me until she had CHICKS under her. This is my first time, so I can't say that it always happens, but she was DEFINITELY more aggressive about the chicks compared to eggs.
  10. PeacefulWalls

May 7, 2013
    Goshen, Indiana
    Reminds me of one of our bee club leaders. He works most of his hives in a t-shirt and shorts and a baseball cap and usually there is no problem. He shared a story, though, of one hive he had where he & the other club leader had to work it together. They both put on thick heavy clothes with a bee suit on over that yet too. He ended up re-queening the hive to get rid of the aggressive bees. Yikes! Certain breeds of bees are known to be calmer than others. Thank goodness the 2 nucs we had gotten ended up being relatively gentle. One of the past presidents of the Michiana Beekeepers Assoc. lives near Nappanee, IN and raises queens/sells nucs. We had gotten our 2 nucs from him. We also set up a hive to see if we could capture a swarm in the spring, but it didn't work. We live across the road from part of a commercial orchard, which sprays their trees countless times throughout the year. I was always concerned that our bees would end up being killed by the spray or they would bring traces of the chemicals back with them mixed with their pollen. Both of our hives mysteriously vanished last October. Don't know if the queen left, died, the hives were attacked by another group of bees (we saw a lot of dead ones on the ground around the hives), chemicals from the orchard or corn fields killed them (has been happening a lot) or what. The person we got the bees from said there could be countless reasons what happened to them. If they hadn't disappeared we would still actually have them. I wasn't ready to spend another $100/nuc again this spring!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by