INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Hey, Kab, I totally feel your anticipation!! I have 4 eggs each under 2 broody girls. Yesterday when I tucked everyone in had 2 pips. This morning at 8:30 had 3 fuzzy chicks. 2 pale yellow, one black. Now at 4:22, still have just 3. I sure wish these 2 moms would stand up so I can see what's going on!!! One of the peeps was trying to climb out, so I had to make temporary "screen doors" for the front of their nest boxes to keep them in and let the moms relax. Keeps everyone else away, too. All the rest chickens are pretty curious about all the peeping. Sure hope all 8 of them hatch. This is our first time!

Curious about everyone's opinions about who the possible mom is of the black chick. The dad is BO. One mom is a huge black sex link and the only other one with any black in her is the BR. Could it be either one? If I could get to the shells under mom (if they even still exist) I could tell because I marked all the names with the mom's names. Oh well.

AAACK--post pictures! I bet they are TOO CUTE!

Quote:
gig.gif
tongue.png

I am a very curious person.

I climbed Mt. Baker in Washington.
Kayaked (badly) on several whitewater rivers and avoided drowning (barely).
Got my pilot's license. Built and flew a small "Baby Great Lakes" biplane. Crashed and rebuilt it 3 times. Still have it in the barn. Can't fly it anymore. No starter; have to hand prop the 125 hp engine. Heart won't allow that anymore.
Restored a 1943 Ford tractor.
Raised a skunk which I skinned and made a coonskin style hat.
Built furniture. Built cabinets and shelving units. Did woodturning, mostly bowls and goblets. When I broke off the stems, they became Christmas bell tree ornaments.
Built several desktop computers for friends and family.
Raised 2 calves for meat.
Restored some antique radios.
Was a professional photographer with darkroom for a while (starved).
Mainframe computer programmer/analyst for decades. Started and ran a PC computer repair shop for several years.
Rebuilt several automobile engines back in the 60's and 70's when they were much simpler.
Rebuilt the transmission in my Kubota tractor because I did something stupid and broke it.
Built an aquarium sump for saltwater bio-filtration.
Fixed a lot of stuff that I broke due to doing something stupid.

And a whole lot of other dumb stuff.

John
We lived on Whidbey Island for several years, spent a lot of time at Mt. Baker, Loved it! Did you ever go to Deception Pass at the top of the island? Fantastic view and history! I consider being at Mt Baker a very good life! Sounds like you did good for yourself!

I am a very curious person.

I climbed Mt. Baker in Washington. 
Kayaked (badly) on several whitewater rivers and avoided drowning (barely). 
Got my pilot's license.  Built and flew a small "Baby Great Lakes" biplane.  Crashed and rebuilt it 3 times.  Still have it in the barn.  Can't fly it anymore.  No starter; have to hand prop the 125 hp engine.  Heart won't allow that anymore. 
Restored a 1943 Ford tractor. 
Raised a skunk which I skinned and made a coonskin style hat. 
Built furniture.  Built cabinets and shelving units.  Did woodturning, mostly bowls and goblets.  When I broke off the stems, they became Christmas bell tree ornaments. 
Built several desktop computers for friends and family. 
Raised 2 calves for meat. 
Restored some antique radios. 
Was a professional photographer with darkroom for a while (starved). 
Mainframe computer programmer/analyst for decades.  Started and ran a PC computer repair shop for several years.
Rebuilt several automobile engines back in the 60's and 70's when they were much simpler.
Rebuilt the transmission in my Kubota tractor because I did something stupid and broke it.
Built an aquarium sump for saltwater bio-filtration.
Fixed a lot of stuff that I broke due to doing something stupid.

And a whole lot of other dumb stuff.

John

ever tie you own fishing flies?

We lived on Whidbey Island for several years, spent a lot of time at Mt. Baker, Loved it! Did you ever go to Deception Pass at the top of the island? Fantastic view and history! I consider being at Mt Baker a very good life! Sounds like you did good for yourself!
I was there for a programming project for a few weeks. I prowled Seattle shops and sights and went off to Mt. Baker for a weekend. That was it. That was about 32 years ago. All the way up, I cussed every cigarette I ever smoked.

Update: I forgot, I took a day trip and climbed part way up Rainier during a tour bus trip. Couldn't go very far or I would have missed the bus back.

John

Last edited:
ever tie you own fishing flies?

Yes, but my wife hates me for it.

I had raised a bunch of ring neck pheasants. I started out with 12 dozen chicks. After dogs, owls, and God only knows what, I ended up with maybe 3 dozen. A buddy helped me butcher the survivors and we saved likely-looking feathers so we could tie flies.

Being a person who lives his life by the motto "Anything worth doing is worth over-doing" I had about a 5 gallon bucket of them.

They were nasty and wet, so it seemed reasonable to put them in a gunny sack and toss them into first the washing machine and then into the dryer. My wife still mentions (my 44 year old daughter was 8 at the time) that fiasco and how she was picking feathers out of our clothes for weeks. She can be so picky sometimes.

George and I used the feathers to tie several flies with the surviving feathers. We tried them out. They were lousy. Neither of us were avid fishermen, so we gave up on it quickly.

Another brilliant idea shot squarely in the butt.

John

John that quite a list!!

It's about 1/4 of the list.

I was always trying stuff out. Usually with about 1/2 the knowledge needed to do it.

Tried to make a Sterling Heat Engine. Ruined about $100 of raw materials to make a pile of junk. I think it's in a box in the basement somewhere.

I made a geothermal air conditioner about 40 years ago. I took water from the bottom of the well, ran it through a converted A-coil and back into the top of the well. It worked for the better part of 1/2 hour until it warmed up all the well water. (for the technically competent, it's a drilled well, 36" diameter 63' deep back filled with pea gravel, capped with dirt at 20', giving a reservoir of 36" x 40'). Might have worked.............Naaaaahhhhhh.

Willie, next door, much more competent, made one with plastic piping running 800 ft buried 6 ft deep. It nearly worked. He said if he had another 2 or 3000 ft of pipe, it would work great.

John

Last edited:
We've got pips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ya.gif
WhooHooo!!
wee.gif

I pushed her chest back a little a just got a glance, so I couldn't say how many, or where they pipped, but I did see a couple little cracks.
fl.gif

Now we wait.
pop.gif
I am not going to sleep a wink tonight. Be prepared for a lot of me on here tonight.
caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom