INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. pginsber

pginsber Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    AAACK--post pictures! I bet they are TOO CUTE!

2. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Tried it. Banned. Cracked glass. Caused pandemonium among bullfrogs and moose. 3 music directors committed suicide. Coyotes howled for miles around.

John

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana

4. hogster160

hogster160 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    New Carlisle, Indiana
    We lived on Whidbey Island for several years, spent a lot of time at Mt. Baker, Loved it! Did you ever go to Deception Pass at the top of the island? Fantastic view and history! I consider being at Mt Baker a very good life! Sounds like you did good for yourself!

5. gunchief25

gunchief25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    Solsberry, Indiana

ever tie you own fishing flies?
    [​IMG]

6. Old Salt 1945

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    I was there for a programming project for a few weeks. I prowled Seattle shops and sights and went off to Mt. Baker for a weekend. That was it. That was about 32 years ago. All the way up, I cussed every cigarette I ever smoked.

Update: I forgot, I took a day trip and climbed part way up Rainier during a tour bus trip. Couldn't go very far or I would have missed the bus back.

John

7. danand

danand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Westport In
    Everyone- the chicks are adorable!!!;) making me jealous !!

John that quite a list!!

8. Old Salt 1945

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Yes, but my wife hates me for it.

I had raised a bunch of ring neck pheasants. I started out with 12 dozen chicks. After dogs, owls, and God only knows what, I ended up with maybe 3 dozen. A buddy helped me butcher the survivors and we saved likely-looking feathers so we could tie flies.

Being a person who lives his life by the motto "Anything worth doing is worth over-doing" I had about a 5 gallon bucket of them.

They were nasty and wet, so it seemed reasonable to put them in a gunny sack and toss them into first the washing machine and then into the dryer. My wife still mentions (my 44 year old daughter was 8 at the time) that fiasco and how she was picking feathers out of our clothes for weeks. She can be so picky sometimes.

George and I used the feathers to tie several flies with the surviving feathers. We tried them out. They were lousy. Neither of us were avid fishermen, so we gave up on it quickly.

Another brilliant idea shot squarely in the butt.

John

9. Old Salt 1945

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    It's about 1/4 of the list.

I was always trying stuff out. Usually with about 1/2 the knowledge needed to do it.

Tried to make a Sterling Heat Engine. Ruined about $100 of raw materials to make a pile of junk. I think it's in a box in the basement somewhere.

I made a geothermal air conditioner about 40 years ago. I took water from the bottom of the well, ran it through a converted A-coil and back into the top of the well. It worked for the better part of 1/2 hour until it warmed up all the well water. (for the technically competent, it's a drilled well, 36" diameter 63' deep back filled with pea gravel, capped with dirt at 20', giving a reservoir of 36" x 40'). Might have worked.............Naaaaahhhhhh.

Willie, next door, much more competent, made one with plastic piping running 800 ft buried 6 ft deep. It nearly worked. He said if he had another 2 or 3000 ft of pipe, it would work great.

John

10. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

We've got pips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]WhooHooo!![​IMG]
    I pushed her chest back a little a just got a glance, so I couldn't say how many, or where they pipped, but I did see a couple little cracks. [​IMG]
    Now we wait. [​IMG] I am not going to sleep a wink tonight. Be prepared for a lot of me on here tonight. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by