INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom True BYC Addict

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana

2. Crafty chick

Crafty chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2012
    Pierceton, Indiana
    [​IMG] it took them a while to get the courage to leave the run

3. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    They look great. How old are they. My meaties are just at 3 weeks, they are growing quickly.

4. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    My little uglies that just hatched.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    I can't even keep count lol! My incubator has been going none stop since February! I planned to stop several months ago, but that didn't happen. I'm trying to get what I want this year and then concentrate on breeding next year. Doing think that's going to happen though. Another reason I decided to get most this year is to get npip tested next when they are all old enough. We will see though lol

i will let you know how the hatches go. I'm wanting no more than 6-8, so hopefully have a good hatch and have extras available.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  6. danand

danand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Westport In
    Hey crafty, wondered where you'd been!!! I was thinking today I'd PM you just to make sure you are ok!!!

7. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Official records are generally recognized as probably accurate, with the occasional spelling, mistype, transposition, etc. Some of the oldsters were illiterate, so they couldn't verify that the Census worker wrote their name correctly or legibly. With the census, you find your great grandfather Charles Snodgrass and his wife Matilda and sons and daughters and maybe mother or father and siblings and dates and places of birth, perhaps occupation, value of property, etc. All this can be merged into your tree. With that, you find a census that has your g-g-grandfather and all that for him.

There are also other folks genealogies that will be matched up with your folks. You can merge their info with yours, but you have to be very careful of that information. The person that built the tree might have been very sloppy. Worse, several people may have blindly copied that information into their trees, so you look at Charles Wayne Snodgrass's date/place of birth and see that 8 other trees have the same, only to find that a Census record has a different date. Trust the Census. I am currently on a mission to get 20 different sources to stop referring to my g-g-g-g-grandfather to stop referring to him as Michael Elsberry O'Hair. He had no middle name, but the error is metastasizing faster than I can get it corrected.

FTM 2014 is a fabulous piece of software, but somewhat difficult to learn well. Once you have, wow, you can grow a family tree with amazing speed and, if you are cautious, very good accuracy.

I set down with a friend and he gave me sparse information back through his great grandfather. In a couple of hours we had grown his tree to 300+ people.

FindAGrave.com is another excellent source of information. Be sure to use the "Search 106 million grave records" link over on the right.
    Actually, this link works---------------------------------------------------------------------------^

If you want more information, hit me with a PM.

John

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  8. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    I was trying to figure out how to tell you that those are the ugliest d*mned chickens I've seen without hurting your feelings. Then I read your caption at the top. If my dog was that ugly, I'd shave her butt and make her walk backward. [​IMG]

John

9. toodlesmom

toodlesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2013
    Are you thinking about getting into Heirloom Barred Rocks? That would be exciting! How did you get interested in them? They are such beautiful birds. I haven't found BR Heirlooms anywhere nearby yet.

Do you think you could hatch me out a couple of sweet-natured girls? Indianapolis doesn't have a law against roosters, but there is a noise ordinance, and we do live next-door to Beelzebub's nasty nephew, Bubba, who delights in making trouble for his neighbors. He'd call the police on the first pitiful cockerel squeak!

I'd love to see the pictures of their grandparents and parents. Lately, I find myself examining pictures of chickens with the same enthusiasm I give to pictures of dear friends' grandchildren. Maybe more! After all, human babies pretty much all look like Winston Churchill, but chicks! Well, now, chicks are each an exciting individual story!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  10. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    I had to work most of the day and all evening to make up for time lost when my relatives were visiting. Meanwhile, I was thinking that Jchny/Janet's (our fearless thread leader) birthday (a big one, but that's all I'm saying) [​IMG]is Thursday, but it was today (Wednesday)! Happy Belated Birthday Jchny! [​IMG]
    I'm already over the hill and forgetful.
    kabhyper~ You obviously have a close bond with a very tame young hen that trusts you, so don't beat yourself up for thinking you disturbed her. I doubt many new hen mothers would allow a human to play with their new chicks. I hope someday I can experience having a broody hen hatch chicks. That would be so fun to watch her teach them things.
    Webechickens~ Congrats on your chicks, too! Where are the photos?
    SallyinIndiana~ You have some darling chicks! Hope they end up being pullets. And that little Sumatra is sweet!
    About the blue egg article~ It is important to consider the source of information found online, However, Popular Science is an award winning magazine that has been in publication for over a century. Popular Science is geared toward a general audience who is interested in science as opposed to an academic journal full of scholarly research articles. I don't know the specifics about that article, but I do know it's a reputable magazine and it's always interesting to read different views. I'll still be eating my EE's eggs, though!
    pipd~ Frannie has beautiful markings and sweet big eyes. Can she eat a bug if you hand it to her? Or does she just have to use her beak like a scoop? You are both lucky to have found each other.
    Parrmom & craftychick~ Good to see you both posting!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by