INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    I don't have quite so many Guineas, but they still try to do this. :rolleyes: [​IMG] As to what they were mobbing, well... there was a dead mole there. :confused:

2. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks guys. Well I went out and checked the situation, and 5 little peeps came barreling out playing. One was a little blue silkie. I gave the poly-vi-sol a couple of hours before, and I can't really look under her since there are still eggs, so I'm not sure if it is a blue that hatched after I looked this morning or if the vitamins worked that quickly. The little blue with the forward legs is very strong, so I guess it very possible that it is the one. I will have to wait until I can look under her to see if the little bum leg one is there or if there are two silkie eggs under her. Then I will know. I hope it is the one that was struggling all better now, we will see. Pip, I did get the poly-vi-sol w/out iron. Thanks for your help.

3. pipdzipdnreadytogo

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop

Aw, I've always thought naked-necked chicks were the cutest things! :love The adults... not so much. :oops:

Frannie is very human shy, so I don't think she would accept a bug if I tried to hand it to her. For the most part, she does use her beak as a scoop with the feed in their dish. I've seen her try to peck grass, but she just doesn't have anything to grip it with. I have, however, witnessed her manage to pick up a wild grape, lucky girl. :)

It's rewarding to know I've been able to provide a helpless critter with a safe home, though I think she and her sisters will be my last rescues. I know more about poultry diseases than I did then, and I can't risk bringing something in and infecting my beloved girls.

4. pipdzipdnreadytogo

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop

It is possible, since you seem to have caught it early, that your little blue baby's already better. :fl Here's hoping, anyway!

5. kabhyper1

It isn't the one with the legs. That one is still under her. She got up off the nest to get a drink and the baby with the bad legs was still under her squacking. I picked it up and it is perfectly healthy except it cant stand. I gave it the polyearlier. Is there anything elase I can do. Btw it's a black silkie. I compared it to the blue and it is definitely black. Very cute. Should Ibandaid its legs together? Maybe bring it in under a heat lamp until it can walk?

6. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    I would get it away from the mother. It is in her instincts to get rid of any sickly or injured chicks to protect the rest. As long as the bandaid is changed daily, I don't think it will hurt. It might help. I would grab the other silkie too to be a companion for the brooder box.
    This is coming from some who uses brooder boxes all of the time.

7. kabhyper1

I hobbled him. She is very concerned about him and wants him under her. I read that chicks that sit on their butts like that sometimes come out of it with-in a day or so. Just haven't gotten their land legs so to speak. he doesn't struggle and flap his wings under her, so I am going to leave him for now. If their isn't improvement tomorrow I guess I have to decide what to do. I named him Chance. We will see. :)
    I don't think the other silkie egg and the australorp egg are going to hatch. The austraorp egg is zipped a little, but there is no movent inside and it is covered in her poop. The silkie egg isn't even pipped. I think she knows, because she has been coming off the nest to eat.

8. kabhyper1

Here are the other 5 babies. Better pics to come.
    [​IMG]

9. DarthLayer

DarthLayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    Indiana
    Ok I know awhile ago I posted about Curly and Lola and deciding if I was going to put them down. Well I never could make a final decision because I would feel guilty about it and kept hoping they would get better, but now I see they aren't so I finally made the decision to put them down this weekend. I really don't want to, but I know its for the best, though I have no idea how to put them down. Does anybody know how to humanely put down a chicken without chopping its head off or snapping the neck?

10. CityHen-Indy

CityHen-Indy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2013
    Indianapolis
    An elderly man in my neighborhood kills his by tying a string around their neck and holding them in the air until they die. Have not seen this done and can't quite get past the idea that maybe it's not such a great way to euthanize. He says it doesn't really hurt and they don't struggle much. Any thoughts? Chopping off heads or breaking necks sound gruesome too, but maybe a quicker death.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by