INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Novafrk

Novafrk Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Hello everyone,

I'd like to pick your brains a little more. When do you get day old chicks in the spring? March? April? I'd like to get mine as early as possible this year. I want to get 6 Ameraucana's or 6 Araucanas. Either of these breeds should do well for my situation. I have a bunch of questions but I'll trickle them in over the next couple of months. :-D

Thanks,
    Eric

2. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    hatcheries start getting a lot if orders during march but some ship all year round. Only 2 hatcheries i know of have true ameraucanas and i have eard so many bad reviews it is not even funny. You will be etting easter eggers from almost any hatchery. Order from a breeder if you want true ameraucanas or araucanas. The ameraucana thread should be in my signature. there is also a araucana thread but its not in my link

3. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Well I have been advised that the leg thing will correct itself under the mother hen. So fingers crossed [​IMG]
    I got some pics of the babies tonight, some are blurry, they move a lot!!

Brown wyandotte? I thought this was one of my ee's eggs, but I think it was all wyandotte.
    [​IMG]
    Blue silkie
    [​IMG]
    Minorca x Wyandotte
    [​IMG]
    Wyandotte
    [​IMG]
    White silkie
    [​IMG]
    And the little butt sitting black silkie
    [​IMG]

4. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    Phew, it was a long day for me! A Chemistry test, a Philosophy midterm, errands, and a trip down to Bluffton. I just got the hens locked in for the night, so now I can relax! :lol:

I had a pleasant meeting with CCCCHICKENS and handed over my little Easter-egger bantam boy. Lots of chickening talk and mention of the Lebanon show, too. It was great to meet you! :D

Speaking of the show, I know a few of you were planning on going. It's still a maybe for me--it depends on a lot of things, like how much homework I have--but if I do go, I'd love to meet y'all. :)

5. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    Kabhyper - it looks like the first chick has fluffy cheeks (can't tell if it's the lighting or not). If so, I say Easter-egger. :) They're adorable! Hoping little butt-sitting Chance bounces back! I would continue to give him Poly-Vi-Sol every few hours or so, just in case.

6. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

You had a big day!!!!!!!!!!
    I gave poly vi sol about 2 hours ago, and they are in for the night. Can I just give it first thing in the morning? I'm sure he is buried under momma in the dark. That chick does have fluffy cheeks. I know his dad is Gus my wyandotte, so maybe a silver laced EE? LOL that would be something.
    Here is everybody but the silkies daddy. My EE is the one that I have posted pics of that looks almost wheaton.
    [​IMG]

7. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    We use the vein cutting method and cut the large veins, one on each side of the neck. We have them in a cone and we process them. There is messy results with the method though it is very fast.

I agree try to get on a breeder's list.

But as for when well that depends on when you want to be able to put them out on their own with no additional heat. I got some this year at the end of March but April turned really cold and They were indoors longer than I liked.
    Another thing to consider is when do you want eggs? If the breed is a late layer like my RIR breed well you really want them as early as possible and might just need to plan on heat and a good place for them to stay for 6-8weeks instead of 2-4. The bright side is that during the cold weather a chick is cheaper to feed than a full size hen. I'm not sure that a chick that is free ranging is going to save a whole lot of feed since they really don't eat a whole lot in the first 9 weeks. So feeding a chick you get in January is really only going to cost you a touch more in feed and a then the heat. The issue is finding a breeder that hatches in January / set eggs in December.

There is talk on the RIR thread about how it helps the 4H children to get their birds in January so maybe the other breeders are breeding then too. I have personal reasons this year for wanting to set eggs in the winter, but so far no eggs for me to set and the roos are not really mating the hens either.

8. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    kabhyper~ Thanks for giving me a "Gux-fix." I love those tail feathers! It was also fun to see pretty mom Lavender and her babies.
    Poultry Podiatry https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry
    You may have already consulted this site. Back when I was dealing with Violet's leg injury, I posted this site that I had come across. Someone else , maybe Darth, also posted it. If you scroll down, there is chick podiatry info. Btw, that seems weird to give vitamins several times a day since some aren't water soluble. Maybe it works differently for chickens.

DarthLayer~ So sorry to hear that you have to go through that. I knew about Lola since she started having problems after Violet's injury. Isn't she the Cornish? I'm sorry, but I can't remember the info about Curly. I know that it's a tough decision, but you have obviously tried to help them for a long time and you should feel good about all that you've done. I had Violet put to sleep at the vet. Since I don't process chickens, I couldn't imagine anything else. IMO, Whatever you decide, don't do it yourself! Find an experienced person. If you live in the Indy area, please PM vickichicki because I believe that she has access to a CO2 chamber,

9. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Today, October 10th is Jchny/Janet's Big Birthday! [​IMG] Last night, I had been working late and after midnight I had posted on BYC that I messed up the dates and Janet's B-Day was yesterday. Since it was after midnight, the date changed to Thursday's date, but I was thinking it was still Wednesday. I was tired; that's why I was confused. It has nothing to do with me being old and senile. [​IMG] Anyway, send her a PM Happy B-day message. Here's a hint of her age: Oh, she is more than 5. (I'm sure she will announce it anyway because it is something to be proud of!) [​IMG]
    Originally Posted by SallyinIndiana [​IMG]
    I was disgusted by how ugly my ducklings were when they hatched. Now they are very pretty little khakis.
    Sally~ I guess that phenomenon is what coined the phrase, "Ugly Duckling." Ducks are so cute that it's hard to believe they could be ugly.
    Brad~ I think the bare neck is strange, but overall they are very cute! They look like they wear fur and leather. They look big for being just hatched!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom True BYC Addict

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Kab - I originally posted this here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/730582/indiana-bycers-here/13530#post_12000215

Wanted to re-post it as I'm hoping it may be of use to you. If the pages won't come up large enough to read from THIS post, go back to the original posted place linked above. (click on the image in this post and they will come up larger) Oftentimes B vitamins - particularly B1 and B12 (Riboflavin and Thiamin) are at issue with new hatched chicks. Some very finely chopped liver is a great help if you have a good source to get some.

Here's the repost:

The first is this link that talks about some of the leg issues and causes. Note particularly the info on vitamins. There are various issues that "usually" affect birds during specific age ranges as a "rule of thumb". There exceptions to the rule of thumb however.

There is a lot of info here...keep reading all the way down :D
    https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

When I first heard about various "B" vitamins having an effect on leg issues w/chickens was a few years ago in one of Joel Salatin's books. Here is some info that is very interesting on riboflavin in young chicks in particular. I think if you click on the images they will come up large enough to read.

Quote:
    Pastured Poultry Profits
    Author: Joel Salatin
    Chapter 26 In It's Entirety
    For Educational Purposes Only. No copyright infringement intended

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ETA: Someone had remarked earlier how they wondered how the birds could be fine one day and not able to walk the next. In another part of JS book, he mentioned that was what happened. One day they were in that condition. After feeding the liver, they recovered quite quickly as well.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by