INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    kabhyper~ Found this online: http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-high-in-riboflavin-vitamin-B2.php
    Note: There is much more info at this site regarding each item on this list. This is a list for Humans.
    Please research if each item is OK for chickens. (I would, but I actually am supposed to be working
    [​IMG])

Top 10 Foods Highest in Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)
    Yeast Extract Spread (Marmite)
    Liver
    Dried Herbs, Spices, and Peppers
    Almonds
    Dry Roasted Soybeans (Edamame)
    Cheese (Roquefort, Brie, Limburger)
    Wheat Bran
    Fish (Mackerel, Atlantic Salmon, Trout)
    Sesame Seed
    Sun-dried Tomatoes

Darth~ This was in my "Chicken Health for Dummies" book:
    [​IMG]
    We're all thinking of you! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    Nope not yet. The eggs I got were packed horribly and only 3-4 were not broke. Needless to say they never developed either. I'm waiting awhile before starting another quail breed/species.

3. toodlesmom

toodlesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2013
    BARB S - These are some of the German New Hampshires that won awards in California. Aren't their colors gorgeous? They look like sunsets! And the female is nearly as bright as the male! When Bradselig sees them, he'll swap the Heirloom BRs for your GermanNHs!

Originally Posted by fowlman01 [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The orange birds did well. Brought two 7 mo New Hamps and the male was best American, female res American. 1100 bird show. It was not what I consider a strong class, but again these birds are only 7 months old and the judges loved them. neither one of them will be the top New Hamps here when the rest grow out, but they are good solid birds. The main thing is the judges are seeing them....and liking them! These two are offspring from birds I got indirectly from Kathy Bonham last year. The main thing is that the parents are producing better than they are.....by quite a bit in the case of the male I'm using.

These don't really show the birds well so, I will try to get pictures without bars. He kept moving every time I tried to get a picture.

Walt

4. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    I just ran across this ad on CL and I wish I could get them! The price is great and the chickens are adorable. I love the Sizzles! [​IMG] I am really at my max with 7 chickens although I could make it work, but I doubt my DH would be pleased. [​IMG] If anyone is interested, Newburgh is a picturesque town that is like an eastside suburb of Evansville. Maybe I should at least go look at them! [​IMG] If I do, I will use biosecurity.

[​IMG]

5. toodlesmom

Jul 1, 2013
    I love the look of the Barred Rocks, and I agree that they are prettier than hatchery birds! The Heirloom or Heritage (it's the same) are bigger and stockier. They are a double-purpose bird - both egg and meat. They won't produce as many eggs per week perhaps as a hatchery bird, but will produce over more years. They are probably more intelligent and have more personality. Do you follow the BYC Heritage Large Fowl Thread? It started out as a search for Heritage BRs. I like to skim it and learn about the different breeds, though they sometimes get more technical than I care to be. All this chicken info! I'm getting no sleep!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  6. toodlesmom

Jul 1, 2013
    Isn't there SOMETHING you could do to butter up DH? They are absolutely DARLING and such a tremendous bargain! Make a gift of them to him and he can't refuse them!

7. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    Haven't seen this picture before, pretty dang funny!

I've seen the snake picture, but it's always funny.

Thanks for the laughs.

8. gunchief25

gunchief25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    Solsberry, Indiana
    Morning all you Chicken Herders!!! Cockadoodledoo!!!

9. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    I am just catching up but how can a chick that's just hatched and still surviving on the yolk already have a serious vitamin deficiency? Is that possible? I suppose if the mother has a deficiency?

1 person likes this.
  10. danand

danand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Westport In
    Good morning Gunchief.....going to be another beautiful day!!;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by