INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    But...if your hen house is set up and ready when you get the kiddos. they can be put directly into the hen house. Doing it the same as you would if they're inside...have to provide the appropriate heat and protection, but just out there instead of inside.

1 person likes this.
  2. HappyHappyHappy

HappyHappyHappy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2013
    hour North of Indy
    So far so good with my first time hatching. My Astralorp is doing well so far,(at least still on the nest) hatch day is next Wed-Thursday. Started with 10 eggs under her one was smelling rather nasty so i tossed it,( like a baseball into the beanfield) I was to chicken to break it open and look. One has a crack in it but I Left it there to see what will happen. The other hens are not trying to lay in her nest or mess with her so far so that is good. I may box of an area of the coop for her when they hatch just incase the other hens decide to hurt them.
    Also I see Brad is going to possibly do some H Barred Rocks. If possible and you have any left I am very excited to get at least a Roo if not a flock of em..[​IMG]
    My Son and I are planning to go to the show in Leb next weekend. I have never been to a show so it will be a first for me. I hope to meet some of you there.

3. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    Got some pictures of some of the silkies, legbars, and tolbunts. Ohh and the random OEGB who lives with the silkies as the other roos are just too large and afraid they will squish her when they try to mount her.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Novafrk

Novafrk Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Hello H3, I'm going to start them in the house for the first few weeks. I was then going to move them out to the garage.(4-8wks) From there to the chicken tractor/yard. I don't have a set in stone time table because obviously the weather and the chicks themselves demand flexibility. My wife is... hesitant to embrace my chicken desire. As soon as they start making a mess in the house I'll have to move them to the garage. Thanks for the input though definately something to consider.

5. PeacefulWalls

PeacefulWalls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    Goshen, Indiana
    I was struck yesterday by how many different colors of eggs were getting now. Not sure who's laying some of them. So pretty all together that I had to share!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    When I sell them, I call it a "party in a box" :D

7. DarthLayer

DarthLayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    Indiana
    Thank you all for the information. I don't think I could do any of those, but I noticed M2H listed like a gas chamber. Could I make one my self? I don't want to make my parents to drive to the vet to put down two chickens if I know I could do it myself. Also Curly was Lola's brother and originally he was fine but started to get worse

8. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    A lot of breeders takes orders in advance. SO if you wait until march you will probably be too late. Not all breeders do this but most do- they take orders around now until maybe January or Febuauary and after they start hatching they let you pick when you want them shipped out> i have not ordered from anyone in indiana so I dont know how they do theirs.

1 person likes this.
  9. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    More tolbunt pictures. I just love these guys.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Novafrk

Novafrk Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2013
    Indianapolis
    One of the breeders in New Castle starts taking orders in December. I want to run up and see his birds first though. I would be picking them up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by