INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Brad - do they sell that fence every year? Wonder if there would be any on clearance again? I guess I thought that fence would be a year round item and wouldn't clear out. Not sure if this was shared on this thread so forgive if it is redundant. I saw this on portable fence posts. This guy sells them but one of the byc members made his own and showed it to us on the natural chicken keeping thread. You can use roll fence like that. This is a really cool idea if you could use portable fencing in your area! http://www.ranch-coop.com/Portable-Fence-Posts.html
It was clearanced because we were no longer going to carry this type. It wasn't marked down that cheap, I negotiated with a manager. Another coworker and myself had to buy all the rolls that were left to get that price and we split them.

My Sebrights all lay a cream-colored egg. Not quite white, but far from brown. The one on the right here is a Sebright egg:

ETA: Oops, that was directed toward Julie.
smile.png
Looks exactly like mine
wink.png

Quote: They are about the size of a pullet or small egg, but are a white-ish layer. They look a lot like a guinea egg,
I was shocked at the size! My OEGB eggs are the size of quail eggs so far, half the size!

ellymay~ the hens havent come back. i figured they wandered the corn field and popped out near a dog. poor hen of yours.... i have a kiddie pool the same size, i have looked under ours before thinking the same thing.

HELLO! sorry guys, been super busy working and kid watchin. i started to look through the last 2000 posts... but, eh... i'm a quitter. my chicks are getting big, enjoying free ranging for the first time today. the whole family sat in the yard and watched their first adventure. the BOs were only interested in the chicks coop for food, glad they didnt bully them. the meat birds are so funny, either they are too stupid or really friendly i havent decided. got a bag of feed from orshyln in seymour yesterday, it had a corner taped shut, and it was $2.50 off. didnt look like much was missing. love when i can find a deal.
frow.gif
Good to see you! I always look at the discounted stuff first! Its been crazy here too, but its slowing down, winter is almost here
hit.gif

Ugh, I hate cold weather..
Look! Margie perched this evening!
big_smile.png
I'm so proud!

Now I just need to convince the other pullets to perch.
roll.png
They're still going to the nest boxes every night.

All my silkies except for little Butters, the adult roo will. He just sleeps on the floor, poor guy.

Fluffy Feathers Feature Film
A close-up look at English Orpingtons

My son, Max, took this video on his new iPhone5s that has an improved slow motion video at 120 frames per second. It's perfect for examining the fluffy feathers of English Orpingtons! He posted the video of my English Jubilee and English Chocolate bantam orps on youtube:

Jchny~ Nice Birthday surprise! Fancy Turkeys! Now you'll have to hit the poultry show circuit.
lol.png

Darth~ I will PM you about gas chamber info

I had to work most of the day and all evening to make up for time lost when my relatives were visiting. Meanwhile, I was thinking that Jchny/Janet's (our fearless thread leader) birthday (a big one, but that's all I'm saying)
duc.gif
is Thursday, but it was today (Wednesday)! Happy Belated Birthday Jchny!
frow.gif

I'm already over the hill and forgetful.
Hehehehe, thanks M2H, its ok, I earned them there gray hairs LOL! This was my 50th, and yes I cried... But I still feel 30!
And you were right it was Thursday 10/10, you and I confused each other since we are both "nite owls".
Quote: Worming, yes I do. Just the total number of birds I have, I feel safer doing it. I switch between valbazen and ivermec pour on, late spring late fall.
Will need valbazen for the spring again, it prevents parasites becoming immune to a product by alternating.
Raining, damp and cold weather will challenge their health, and if they have any parasites, Its just asking for problems to spread.
I do not worm the ducks and geese unless I see obvious problems, never have yet, same for the guineas. and quail.
I do worm the peafowl, chickens and turkeys due to what I see them eat! Can't count how many mice, dead things, and wild birds I have caught them with
sickbyc.gif

All part of free ranging fun
roll.png

Brad, you and I are doing the same thing! I have a few breeds left but am nearly done
th.gif

HBR is one of them! Coronation sussex, true ameraucana are the others, and lastly Silver penciled plymouth rocks.
May just get them all done by December Next year will be NPIP and breeding pens!

My little uglies that just hatched.
68d76e660dfb54b16fcd926986759f26_zps64e343b6.jpg

df09535c263e7c1cc4c90e9de0f2905a_zps0949c3a5.jpg

d034a58189b572822485d27e689f7615_zpse3cafd92.jpg
Ugly? NO! They are just adorable!
it took them a while to get the courage to leave the run

awww!

Sad to report that one of the eggs that was hatching yesterday (completely open 1 inch all the way around) died. I went out a little while ago to check and lifted up mom. The bottom half of the shell was off but the top half (air cell end) was still attached. Guess it got stuck trying to get out. Oh, well, we have 5 new peeps and they're too cute. If I can figure out how to do pics, I will.
Okay update this morning. I went out and uncovered her brooder to see what was going on. She is still sitting on the nest. I gave her a quick drink and a bite to eat, and she called the kids out. The white silkie, the minorca cross, the wyandotte and a new little one that also looks like a wyandotte came out. I was wondering where the little blue silkie was, then I saw it peek out so I picked it up. Yesterday it was strong and doing great. Today its legs go forward, like it is sitting on its butt. It is strong and want s to stand, but cant. My heart is broken. I was so excited to get a perfect little 5 toed blue silkie. Is there anything that I can do??? I heard a squeal over the camera this morning, so I wonder if it got squished. It's not spraddle leg, it's legs just go forward instead of down.
Aww I am sorry, both of you. If a chick doesn't make it, or does hatch but develops problems its always painful.
I have learned the hard way to not try to "save" them all, most die in the end and its heartbreaking.
I still have my wry neck "crook" the fry stealer. 4 month old EE roo. He gets worse as he gets older.
The rest I let nature decide now, unless its a sure fix.
Kab, There's a "chick in a cup" sallysunshine talks about in the hatching 101 article. That would be my only thought.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101
Good luck!
Quote:
I was disgusted by how ugly my ducklings were when they hatched. Now they are very pretty little khakis. I was also surprised by how much they ate and how fast they grew in their first 6-8 weeks but they have settled down and now barely eat any feed mainly just bugs and weeds. Also they are not growing nearly as fast right now so it turns out they won't end up being the giant massive ducks that I feared when they were downing food as fast as a meaty chick.
My pekin were that way, food hogs! Now that all are past 8 weeks, its slowed way down.
My stanley the scovy drake is a huge food hog tho, and he is about 18 months now.
He is LAST to be allowed to the food troughs
smack.gif
He has a big layer of fat on him already. He is very lucky he is my only scovy drake!
I worry constantly he will impact his crop. I have never seen one inflate like his! Looks like he swallowed a softball
lau.gif

Brad- all of your chickens are just gorgeous!!

Crafty- so sorry they haven't returned! I had a hen get under a box! Didnt know what had got her then I picked it up and she came running out!! It'd been about 3 days!! So you just never know!

Jchny- what a great Bday!! Can't wait to see pics of them at your place!

Back
Top Bottom